Page 1 of 2
Basically i've been trying to start up a band but I don't even know where to start. None of my friends like the same music as me, it makes it difficult even going to a gig because usually I can talk one of them into going but they usually don't enjoy it so basically i'm trying to replace my whole social circle because frankly, im just sick of sitting around all day with them doing **** all because thats what they do, so how did you find people who like the same music as you to hang out with ?
I didn't. None of my friends listen to what I listen to, except maybe a guy who also plays the piano and guitar, but he's mostly a pop person and I don't see him listening to the guitar-oriented songs I send him.

The only person that has musical tastes anything remotely like mine is my sister. She enjoys a bit of Scale The Summit and Intervals. She doesn't have them on replay like me or even really listen to them much at all, but I think she enjoys it to the point where she's interested in new music that they release.

Sooo, no. I'm like the only person that I know who listens to metal or anything related to metal.
Quote by triface
I didn't. None of my friends listen to what I listen to, except maybe a guy who also plays the piano and guitar, but he's mostly a pop person and I don't see him listening to the guitar-oriented songs I send him.

The only person that has musical tastes anything remotely like mine is my sister. She enjoys a bit of Scale The Summit and Intervals. She doesn't have them on replay like me or even really listen to them much at all, but I think she enjoys it to the point where she's interested in new music that they release.

Sooo, no. I'm like the only person that I know who listens to metal or anything related to metal.

So what do you do when you want to go to a gig ?
Quote by captainsnazz
Based on your username alone, I'd suggest a gay bar.

Why, is that where you found out what hair products to use ?
By showing people what I liked and people showing me what they liked. Then we would hold a meeting and vote to whether we would continue listening to said piece of music. If more voted no then it would be struck from the almighty playlist and never listened to again. That's how me and my friends all like exactly the same music, because we're not allowed to have differing tastes from each other. That would be bad
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 15, 2013,
By pure accident,I guess. I found two of them when I went to comprehensive school and we formed a band. Last year(when I went to high school) I found more people who listened to the same bands as me. Naturally,they had friends who had the same taste in music as them,so I became friends with them also. The formula repeated itself and now I have dozens of friends who like the same music as me. (Musicians,fans,bandmates)

My advice:If you find a person who likes the same music as you,try to become friends with his/her same-minded friends.

There´s probably a lot of grammar mistakes in my post,sorry about them. I hope this helps.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
So what do you do when you want to go to a gig ?

This will probably be blasphemy on a music website, but I don't really have that problem because I'm not a big fan of concerts and gigs and stuff.
I don't know who likes the same music as me and I don't really think about it. If I want to go to a show or something and no one wants to go with me I'll just go on my own.
cat
Ever try introducing them to your stuff?

There was a time period where I was obsessed with underground bullshit and all my friends were listening to everything mainstream as hell (Slipknot, Metallica, SOAD, etc.). Surely enough when I introduced them the music they followed along, and before I knew it everybody else I hung with owned their albums and was listening to the stuff.
an interview and strict screening process...

Me and my friends all like different music, we agree on some popish stuff like paramore and similar bands, but we dont need to listen to exactly the same music to be friends

Same, all my friends are open to listening to new music like I am. It really helps Unforunatly none of them share my liking for electro ;__;
vv
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 15, 2013,
I didn't actively look for people who like the same music as I do. I became friends with people then started trading music and eventually found common ground on certain genres/bands. It helps that I'm open to listening to different types of music and enjoy discovering bands through friends.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
That's not that big of an aspect to friendship. All my friends like diff music and when were in the persons car they pick the music. If one of my friends who likes rap asks me to go see Lil Wayne, I'd say "hell no I'm not going with you." That doesn't mean he should go find other friends cause then he'd be a crappy friends.

As someone else said, go to the gigs alone, and be social; make friends with people there.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I didn't look for friends with the same musical tastes as mine, but some of my friends and I happen to have common interest in some bands. Though until I was around 14, I only knew a couple of people who liked the same type of music as I did. In tenth grade was when I made friends who were also into the type of music I was listening to at the time.

But I suggest you go to some concerts of bands you like and try to meet some people there. You may find interesting people that share your musical tastes and who you might become good friends with.
None of my friends like the same music as me.

Even through I've been in 2 bands with my friends.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Why, is that where you found out what hair products to use ?
Quote by captainsnazz
Touché

I don't know. I just so happened to bump into them in high school.

Actually, a lot of them came to me asking if they can borrow a lot of CDs I had when I was in high school. One friend, in exchange, put a few songs on my mp3. It was all Rise Against and a few Millencolin songs. And I loved every one.

Anything past high school and your less likely to start a band on your own. Joining a band is still pretty possible though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
First of all, fix your ****ing grammar. That was the longest sentence I've ever read.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
In my 4 years of college, i have one close friend that likes to listen to metallica although he's a total douche and hated by most, that trait of his doesn't really bother me. Another close friend of mine that listens to RHCP, radiohead and has a pink floyd shirt. And they were already my close friends long before i found out we have the same taste in music.

I had a phone capable of making loud sound, i once played a sonata arctica song, then a classmate rushed his way on to me "OMG! OMG! OMG! you know this band?!" Too bad he's a bookworm, and i don't like reading books. XD

Do what i do, makes it easier to check if anyone likes what you play, if it really is your way of finding friends.
Quote by ryan_nadon
First of all, fix your ****ing grammar. That was the longest sentence I've ever read.

It ok, relax, everything is going to be alright, the world will keep turning, love will be in the air, people will dig your garden, and you will dig theirs; it may have; been a long; sentence; but it's okay; this is the internet; give a brotha; a; break.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I have this problem.

Everyone I know is into crappy mainstream metalcore shit or the type of music I discovered when I was around 12-14. It's frustrating because it strains friendships when my musical opinion is so different to theirs despite everyone else thinking we like the same stuff. Now I don't even bother to say anything when talking about music, which is like 80% of the time.

The idea of going to gigs on my own is not an option for me because being 17 and having protective parents is never going to happen. Going to have to wait.
I pretty much found friends that I shared music tastes with on a mainstream level (Muse, Deftones, shit like that) and started feeding them hipster shit gradually over the last few years. It seems to kinda work but really, you can't really change most people's music taste all that radically. And that's aight.
Quote by ryan_nadon

There's wayyyyyy way way way worse people out there man.

TS is cool.
My friends posted band ads through kijiji, fb and other things. dunno if that helps, but hopefully
Quote by triface
I'm like the only person that I know who listens to metal or anything related to metal.

Please tell me what kind of horrible place you live in so that I can avoid it for the rest of my life.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
I didbt most of my freinds dobt like anything remotely close to metal or jazz

It does help that i have avery open mind when it comes to music so i havw no issue listening to their music
But i pretty much gave up on showing them my music
Quote by Nero Galon
I have this problem.

Everyone I know is into crappy mainstream metalcore shit or the type of music I discovered when I was around 12-14. It's frustrating because it strains friendships when my musical opinion is so different to theirs despite everyone else thinking we like the same stuff. Now I don't even bother to say anything when talking about music, which is like 80% of the time.

The idea of going to gigs on my own is not an option for me because being 17 and having protective parents is never going to happen. Going to have to wait.

You and your friends are pathetic.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
i raised some of my friends musically, they listen to the kind of music i introduced them to
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Todd Hart
You and your friends are pathetic.

I prefer to call them acquaintances, because my actual good friends don't listen to music at all...
Alright, from what I gather, you're trying to find bandmates. Usually, you just find someone who plays and stick with that a while. Then, when you start developing your tastes, you start searching for other bands with a similar idea. Repeat. Honestly, it took me years to find bandmates in there 20's who play Blues today. You're going to have to suck it up and bounce around some bands for a bit. A great place to start that, is at open mics, music stores, and school.
I chained them up in my basement and tortured them one by one until they submitted to their suffering and joined me in my brutal endeavours.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Wear bandshirts and patches! If someone likes a band on one of your patches a lot, he'll come and talk to you. Also, go see local bands. Just chat around with people about that band, and eventually you'll start talking 'bout other bands aswell.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Start listening to the same music as them. I'm usually a prog/ metal guy, but one of my good friends loves writing lo-fi indie pop, so we write music together. It's mostly a laugh, but it's given me a different perspective on putting songs together, and has genuinely helped me with building songs from simple ideas, rather than just writing riffs and mashing them together (and usually leaving them unfinished)
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Page 1 of 2