hi all,

so I've been adding a fair few pedals to my rig lately, and I'm a bit concerned about the degredation of my tone.

basically my question is, can the amount of pedals I have in my signal degrade my tone? if so, how can I combat this?

cheers
Yes, it absolutely can. The problem is especially bad with pedals that aren't true bypass, but will happen anyway with enough pedals in the chain. You're relying on tons of different connections (2 per pedal) to be absolutely perfect, when they really can never be as good as just a straight cord from your guitar to your amp.

One way you can combat this is to use an A/B/Y switch so that you can kick in a different section of effects, but bypass them completely when you aren't using them. It makes for a more complicated rig, though.

Another way is to eliminate some pedals and replace them with a multi-effects unit. Most of them these days have great reverb, delay, wah, volume controls, and many other effects that you can just switch on and off from there. It will be compact and has only one connection in and out as opposed to two per pedal that it would be replacing.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 15, 2013,
I see. Can you recommend any particular brand for an ABY switch? I like a complicated rig! Not too keen on the idea of a multi-effects unit though hehe

Can power supplies make an impact? I have a daisy chain running them all apart from the EH Deluxe Mistress (had to get a 24v adaptor). What about power conditioners (I may be wrong in calling them that, not sure).

Also, I'm running a Peavey 6505 head, but I'm 90% sure the effects loop on the head is faulty. Do effects loop units exist? If so, how effective are they?

Cheers
Just because it's true bypass doesn't mean shit. True bypass can still knock off high frequencies and degrade the original signal. Ideally you want something with a really good quality buffer.

You could grab a buffer pedal if you're worried. That would help with restoring some of the tone.

Power supplies will not necessarily give you a better tone, they will keep things relatively noiseless and keep it well powered (if you buy a proper isolated PS).

Not everyone loves the loops on the 6505. Quality of the loop depends on its design and the amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i use this new age crystal placed near my pedals to keep the tone from degrading.

Quote by Eppicurt
Just because it's true bypass doesn't mean shit. True bypass can still knock off high frequencies and degrade the original signal. Ideally you want something with a really good quality buffer.

You could grab a buffer pedal if you're worried. That would help with restoring some of the tone.

Power supplies will not necessarily give you a better tone, they will keep things relatively noiseless and keep it well powered (if you buy a proper isolated PS).

Not everyone loves the loops on the 6505. Quality of the loop depends on its design and the amp.

no really, +1.

i just tend to use a buffered pedal near the front of my chain though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae