Do you think that some stereotypes and such are justified? Stereotypes don't usually come out of nowhere as far as I know, and are usually around for a reason. Very often when someone see's a black person in a store, they might watch them more than others in case they shoplift (though this greatly has to do with the area you live in)

That might be around because back 50 years ago or so, when black people didn't have many rights, it was hard to find a proper, paying job so it was hard to provide. So some black people may have been forced to steal things even if they weren't a thief at heart. This could have enforced the stereotype about black people stealing (of course there are black people that steal things, but there are also thieves that are white, hispanic, asian, etc)

That's just one example, but there are many others.

Someone that might be homeless or dirty looking might be considered a lazy, good for nothing bum that is probably inconsiderate of others and doesn't care about anyone. But there are quite a few homeless people that I've met that are the most kindest people I've ever met. They become so detached to being materialistic that they can appreciate the smaller things in life and really care about people

This picture is what got me thinking

I really like this picture and it got me thinking.

Is it justifiable to think that the girl is an innocent little girl that is harmless and should be loved, whatever, and the guy is a dirty man that could possibly be dangerous? Why do you think so? Why don't you think so?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
it doesn't matter what's justifiable, the fact is the girl looks like less of a threat and our emotional reaction to that will be quite evolutionary. however, regardless of what we feel, we should abandon these ruthless evolutionary urges and treat eachother better. this means that stereotypes and/or discriminators based off of emotional reactions like this are completely unjustified. as a civilization, we shouldn't make any laws or actions based off of prejudice just like we shouldn't make any actions or laws based off of religion. unfortunately, it will take a while.

i like that picture, i had no idea both people in the picture were ruthless pathological deforresters.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Is it just me or does the flower hobo look like Jaime Lannister once he grew a beard?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
If she was really that dangerous she would have killed that guy and took his flowers by now.
It's a process, not an event.
You generally can judge a book by its cover.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I was actually thinking of making a thread on this.

I personally think it's perfectly acceptable to judge someone based on appearance, and even I myself judge people based on how they look.

Not particularly with race, but the way they dress, how they wear their hair, etc. Almost says everything about who they are, despite what they say about the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" bullshit.

In reality, only one out of every 10 person you see defies the stereotype of their appearance. It's hard to accept, but undeniably true.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

In reality, only one out of every 10 person you see defies the stereotype of their appearance. It's hard to accept, but undeniably true.

I was going to disagree (since I don't look like a dude who is nearly perpetually stoned) but then I remembered OP had the funniest looking thin moustache and it fit his actions perfectly.
Quote by necrosis1193
Is it just me or does the flower hobo look like Jaime Lannister once he grew a beard?

sort of, the girl looks a bit like the hot bitch who is gonna marry the king too

I think I can tell the psychos pretty easily, unless their really good.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Declarations like this need proof. Stereotypes are culturally formed, so if the culture can't keep up with trends, stereotypes are going to be way off. It's easy to see in retrospect; a new york publication blamed murders on jazz music and called it the devil's influence or something like that.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

i like when people pull statistics out of their ass and pass it off as fact

A lot of stereotypes are accurate enough to apply to more than the 1% misrepresenting the enitre group.

For example, Turks are very clean people. This propably stems from the custom to wash yourselves thoroughly before prayer in Islam, and the fact that unlike most other Islamic countries, most of Turkey has a mediterranean climate, AKA it's not a desert for the most part.
I've got to meet many Turks here in Amsterdam, and I must say, compared with most other muslims I've met, the Turks are the most hygienic.

It's not like this applies to EVERY Turk ofcourse, and I can only verify it based on my experience with a handful of Turks in a country where the only Turks are immigrants. I haven't the slightest clue as to whether this holds any value at all in Turkey itself. This means that my post could be as much of a guess as whether penguins can be converted into animism or not.
impressions in todays society are just the worst
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
impressions in todays society are just the worst

Right?

But, aren't you from like Iceland? Do they actually have internet there?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
cream
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Oh get off it

Besides, I said I like them. It's just their effects, man. I dunno.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Lord_Doku
A lot of stereotypes are accurate enough to apply to more than the 1% misrepresenting the enitre group.

For example, Turks are very clean people. This propably stems from the custom to wash yourselves thoroughly before prayer in Islam, and the fact that unlike most other Islamic countries, most of Turkey has a mediterranean climate, AKA it's not a desert for the most part.
I've got to meet many Turks here in Amsterdam, and I must say, compared with most other muslims I've met, the Turks are the most hygienic.

It's not like this applies to EVERY Turk ofcourse, and I can only verify it based on my experience with a handful of Turks in a country where the only Turks are immigrants. I haven't the slightest clue as to whether this holds any value at all in Turkey itself. This means that my post could be as much of a guess as whether penguins can be converted into animism or not.

my buddy is turkish and hes a lazy slob
Honestly, stereotypes are kind of a necessity in our society but for the most part I think it's best morally to ignore them. They really don't make things better for anyone, and I think it's much more fun and interesting to treat people as the individuals they are. Impressions are different obviously, if your impression of someone is them being an asshole for no apparent reason then of course you can judge them on that. You might be missing their point of view but it's still a part of their character.

Also, the guy in the picture is a pedophile giving her flowers, the girl knows this because she's intelligent and she's just being cautious.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Do what I do.

Assume that everyone is a cvnt. Always.

You'll be less disappointed this way.

Then allow the person you are interacting with you to validate themselves to be a good person. Like a point system.

You're welcome.
Quote by necrosis1193

yes
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by skylerjames13
This picture is what got me thinking

I really like this picture and it got me thinking.

But did the picture get you thinking?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by skylerjames13
That might be around because back 50 years ago or so, when black people didn't have many rights, it was hard to find a proper, paying job so it was hard to provide. So some black people may have been forced to steal things even if they weren't a thief at heart. This could have enforced the stereotype about black people stealing (of course there are black people that steal things, but there are also thieves that are white, hispanic, asian, etc)

this is really funny. it's like i'm reading from a southern history textbook.
Stereotyping is pretty useful. You just don't have time to get to know everyone you interact with. What's important is that you are able to make exceptions to stereotypes you create.
cat
stereo
typing
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Burgery
stereo
typing

10/10 would consider sigging but eventually decide otherwise again

Quote by StewieSwan
But did the picture get you thinking?

Maybe

well I think the picture got me thinking

yeah I worded it pretty weird lol
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Stereotypes do exist for a reason, but obviously it is completely ignorant to judge every single member of a group based on that stereotype.

It's understandable though, and I believe it has its roots in evolutionary behavior, similar to how birds learn not to eat Monarch Butterflies because of how they taste, so they avoid eating any butterflies that look like Monarchs, even though certain species don't taste bad, but have evolved to look like Monarchs.
Our minds take shortcuts. If that didn't happen, we'd go ****ing crazy.

So stereotypes, judgments, and first impressions aren't necessarily insensitive, it's just your mind conserving energy by making a decision with a limited amount of information. It would be extremely tiresome to obtain to make an accurate judgment.

If I see you rocking an Affliction shirt, I think you're a douche that likes Nickelback, jeeps brah, and has a dog with a bandana around it's neck probably named after a beer, like Corona. Sorry bout it. If you say sorry bout it, I think you're also a douche. Sorry bout it.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I was actually thinking of making a thread on this.

I personally think it's perfectly acceptable to judge someone based on appearance, and even I myself judge people based on how they look.

Not particularly with race, but the way they dress, how they wear their hair, etc. Almost says everything about who they are, despite what they say about the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" bullshit.

Yeah, and you keep your hair nicer than most girls so you would know.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
The movie Orphan
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by sashki
If horror movies and the british media have taught me anything, I should stay the fuck away from little girls.

Depends on the age of consent in the country.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ