Hi everyone

I have been offered a original dunlop cry baby for £45 and i was wondering if anyone on here have tried or own one and what they think of it?

Thanks
I have one and i like it and use it a lot.

I wouldn't buy one if i weren't thinking about using it much though. Do you play music that require the wah? Or do you want to write music that involves the wah? In that case you should get it. But getting a wah just for the sake of getting a wah seems a little bit silly to me.

Hope that helped in any way.
Cheers
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I have one and i like it and use it a lot.

I wouldn't buy one if i weren't thinking about using it much though. Do you play music that require the wah? Or do you want to write music that involves the wah? In that case you should get it. But getting a wah just for the sake of getting a wah seems a little bit silly to me.

Hope that helped in any way.
Cheers
Sickz

Thanks for your reply.

I dont write music but some of the music i play does involve wah.I have a zoom 707 that has a wah feature which is quite decent.Have you tried the 707?If its not a improvement over that i wont bother.
I have a penchant for the whole "original and best" quote. I have the Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Original, and love it. They're really hardy, and just simple but effective.

The only thing about it, if you're getting it second hand, is that the pedal will most likely be quite "loose under the foot" if you know what I mean, thus more sensitive to foot pressure... as opposed to a brand new one which takes some "wearing in".

That said, I get it.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Thanks for your reply.

I dont write music but some of the music i play does involve wah.I have a zoom 707 that has a wah feature which is quite decent.Have you tried the 707?If its not a improvement over that i wont bother.

The Zoom 707 is a digital emulation of a wah and in my opinion not a very good one (although I don't think there is a good one). The Crybaby will be a vast improvement. I used one for about 8 years before getting a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah, which has certain tweaking options that give it an edge over the Crybaby (but a hefty price tag).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm wary of used wahs, as all the moving parts tend to wear out. Definitely check it out first.

Common problems include noisy sweep (crackling as you push the pedal up and down), and a sticky switch. Busted up ones can get stuck in between on/off and mute your signal entirely until you push it again.

For a similar price, you can get the Crybaby 535Q, which lets you adjust the range of the sweep and the volume.
Quote by cdgraves
I'm wary of used wahs, as all the moving parts tend to wear out. Definitely check it out first.

Common problems include noisy sweep (crackling as you push the pedal up and down), and a sticky switch. Busted up ones can get stuck in between on/off and mute your signal entirely until you push it again.

For a similar price, you can get the Crybaby 535Q, which lets you adjust the range of the sweep and the volume.

Thanks for your reply.

I dont know what country your from but here the crybaby 535q is over 3 times as much as the original crybaby.
I'm in the US, using US$.

Here, a new Crybaby Classic is about $100 (64£, and a new 535Q is $130 (83£. You may consider ordering from a US retailer like Guitar Center.

You can get one new here for only 65£ - http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_detail.asp?stock=04070213135728

And yes it appears the 535Q is inexplicably expensive in the UK, at 145£ - http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_detail.asp?stock=04101911121328

With pedal that contains moving parts I'd try to buy new if the price isn't much different. At the very least give the used pedal a thorough inspection.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 16, 2013,
Thanks for the reply and links.The one i have been offered hasnt been used.I think ill probably go for it.
I really like my Crybaby, I would like it to have a wider sweep, but that's just me. I don't know if its just how they're built, or if I got a dud, but mine, when not in use, rests in the toe down position. Which is good I guess to turn it on quickly, but it looks "wrong" to me. I feel like I sound close enough to disgrace Jimi Hendrix with my bad playing.

But yeah, check it out before you buy. If possible bring your guitar and amp, along with a 9V battery and/or a 9V power supply. You never know.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame