I'm looking to get a thing, only I'm not sure exactly what. I'm going to be coming up on some birthday cash at the beginning of next year and I want to plan ahead a bit so I can get my finances in order too. I'm thinking either a nice 30" monitor for my gaming and graphics work, or something for my real passion. Guess what that is (it's very loud music).

I say I'm not sure, there are a lot of things I'd love, but they're not really in my price range. An Axe-Fx 2 being my biggest out of range dream. I'm currently pretty happy with emulation, my Eleven Rack does a pretty decent Dream Theater tone, not close to the real thing though and I can't really gig with it.

Is there any kind of essential gear at that price range that will last forever? I'm kind of meant to get something extravagant that will last rather than just getting some nice pickups and saving the rest as its (apparently) a big birthday.

So, yeah. About $1500AU, Dream Theater/Prog with cleans, live in Brisbane Australia, used is fine so long as it will last. And I don't even know what TYPE of product. Good luck to me!
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Get a better amp.

$1,500 is quite a bit to work with if you look used. Scan Gumtree/Melband classifieds. I have seen the occasional Mesa or Axe-Fx in your price range, though it is rare.

But there isn't really anything 'essential' in the guitar world (Except a guitar and amp...). Just what works for you at the time and what you need.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
You could just buy an HDtv for your monitor......

Why not go with a Mesa Mark V?

Or a poweramp for your eleven rack to gig with it.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename

A Mark V for $1500 in Australia? Show me where you can do that and I'll buy 20 of them. They're like $5K here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 15, 2013,
If you have the 11r, a power amp and cab would be a good idea. Then you could use it live and whatnot.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
There's a Perreaux 2150B on ebay.au atm with only $1100 on it and no bids. One of the greatest power amps ever made by anyone ever. They are normally used for PA's and hifis but they are just a sensational bit of kit that you can use for anything. Pair it up with an 11 rack and you'd have something pretty special.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A good tube high-gain 2+ channel amp and a decent 2x12 or 4x12 will sound worlds ahead of most emulation gear.

I'm actually selling my 2009 Krank Rev+ at the moment, I can't help you too much with cabs to go with it, but if you're interested PM me and i'll help you out.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by ibanezguitars44
If you have the 11r, a power amp and cab would be a good idea. Then you could use it live and whatnot.

+1 just get a poweramp and then you can gig with your 11R.

No idea about availability there, but I do know about the inflation. The Peavey Classic 50/50 and the Carvin T100/TS100 are good budget poweramps.

If you don't have a cab, look for a Mesa/Orange/Avatar 212, or a Marshall 1936V (these are pretty rare though).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Kyleisthename

A common misconception. HDTVs make rubbish computer monitors at that size because of their low pixel density, everything just becomes stretched out, there's no gain over a smaller monitor. The monitor I'm looking at is colour accurate for my photography and modelling, and is a very high pixel density.
A Mark V is my dream amp, but WELL out of my price range.

Quote by ibanezguitars44

Quote by Cathbard
There's a Perreaux 2150B on ebay.au atm with only $1100 on it and no bids. One of the greatest power amps ever made by anyone ever. They are normally used for PA's and hifis but they are just a sensational bit of kit that you can use for anything. Pair it up with an 11 rack and you'd have something pretty special.

A poweramp would probably make a lot of sense. Unfortunately I do not have a cab to pair it with though. A nice future investment however!

Cathbard, I'm sure that power amp is amazing, but I cannot buy until early next year unfortunately. If I go the poweramp route I'll make sure to look out for another one of those though!

Quote by Offworld92
+1 just get a poweramp and then you can gig with your 11R.

No idea about availability there, but I do know about the inflation. The Peavey Classic 50/50 and the Carvin T100/TS100 are good budget poweramps.

If you don't have a cab, look for a Mesa/Orange/Avatar 212, or a Marshall 1936V (these are pretty rare though).

This seems to be a common idea! I'll take all your suggestions on board! Unfortunately I DO need a cab, and it's probably going to be a one or the other thing. I'd prefer not to, but I can always buy one and then the other one later. It would just be a shame not to be able to use my birthday gift for a few months!
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30