I'm pretty new to guitars, but I'm already interested in playing an eight string guitar. I'm still a beginner to guitar and its scales. I've never learned a full song (although, to be honest, I haven't put much effort into that yet, been focusing on scales and notes). Most songs I DO wanna play are on 8 strings which brings me to my question: when is a good time to start with a 8 string? If I start now would it help or hinder me?
What bands do you like?

I would probably move over to 7 strings when you feel you are proficient enough on 6 strings. Once you feel like you are proficient enough with 7, move to 8.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Whenever you want. If you want an eight-string, get an eight-string. There's no point getting a seven... you went from zero to six strings, so an extra two isn't difficult.

Get one whenever you want one. There's nothing stopping you and no reason to wait, either.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
If you have fun playing, you will play more, so you will get better. Get that 8 string now. Waiting because you "should" learn a 6 string first is not a good idea, and will only slow down your progress.
It depends on why you want to make the move. If you just want to play the music you like and it requires 8 strings, then by all means. You will get used to it sooner or later.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Even if you started with an 8 in the first place, that's really all you would know and would adapt just as fast to that as you would a 6 string. If what you want to be playing requires 8 strings, go for it. The sooner you do, the sooner you'll adapt and eventually be most comfortable on an 8. And seriously, if you want an 8 anyway, don't waste your time and money on a 7. More strings doesn't really mean more skill required, it just means you have more options.

What kind of stuff will you be playing?
Quote by ExDementia
Even if you started with an 8 in the first place, that's really all you would know and would adapt just as fast to that as you would a 6 string. If what you want to be playing requires 8 strings, go for it. The sooner you do, the sooner you'll adapt and eventually be most comfortable on an 8. And seriously, if you want an 8 anyway, don't waste your time and money on a 7. More strings doesn't really mean more skill required, it just means you have more options.

What kind of stuff will you be playing?

I bet 5 bucks for Meshuggah.

But yeah, if 8 string is what you are aiming for, go for it and start practicing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'll probably scrape together the rest of my money and buy one then.
Quote by MaaZeus
I bet 5 bucks for Meshuggah.

But yeah, if 8 string is what you are aiming for, go for it and start practicing.

I'm actually not a big Meshuggah fan
XD I'm into other tech death bands and some jazz.
Quote by ajb667

I'm actually not a big Meshuggah fan
XD I'm into other tech death bands and some jazz.

Damnit! I

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I don't know if your a fan of Animals as Leaders but I think I remember seeing some videos on Youtube where he talked about transitioning from six strings to seven and seven to eight...

One things for sure, if you do go to a 7/8 string soon it would be worthing trying a couple out to see if they feel especially uncomfortable. Also, depending on the bands you're into and whether you're more interesting in writing your own music, you might also be interested in baritone scale guitars.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
So you started playing the guitar and have only played scales up and down? This is an important lesson: Music is NOT all about scales. Play some music. Knowing the fretboard is of course useful but knowing the fretboard doesn't mean you can play music. And playing the guitar is all about music. Scales are not music, songs are.

But yeah, if you need an 8 string guitar to play your favorite songs, buy one. There are two extra strings but yeah, you can play 6 string stuff with a 8 string too. It just feels different.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Get an 8 asap, best to start on an 8 if that is what you eventually want to move on to anyway.

- Nick