i played guitar using only my hand since i started, now i use a pick for a strumming and i keep dropping it whilst strumming lol

its a lot easier to strum with my fingers only but now im learning alternate picking i cant really not use a pick
There's really not much advice to give here. Hold it harder is clearly the only solution.
Quote by redd9
lol im trying to keep my picking hand relaxed tho

lol? There's nothing to lol at about that. And also, it's 'though'. For future reference, you should work on your grammar. It's awful. Just thought I'd point that out.

Anyways. This right here is the whole problem. Relaxing your hand means your letting you fingers get flimsy. It's obvious you aren't going to get a good grip by letting your thumb and index finger just rest on the pick. No. You have to actually hold it together with a little bit of pressure.

But if you're still adjusting to the change, it might help to start off with a wedgie pick, where the pick has it so that your thumb is more secure on the pick, like so:
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 15, 2013,
"Hold it tighter" might not be the answer at all actually, it depends how tight TS is holding it already. The tight enough grip is something of a balancing act; you don't want to hold it so loose that you drop it but if you grip it like you're trying to destroy it then there's no give in your grip and it bounces out of your hand when you pick. It's the same reason they make large buildings flexible: you need some give or it'll just break when you put it under any pressure.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's all about modulation of your grip strength. You need to grip hard enough for it to stay in your hand but not too hard to adversely affect your tone/accuracy of your playing. Just practice like you do but make a conscious effort to grip it slightly harder than you are used to and then experiment with holding slightly looser. It should be a fluid motion when strumming.

About alternate picking, try to minimize the travel of your wrist so the change of direction occurs right after you pluck the string. Tremelo picking will just suddenly happen. I kept practicing and trying to force it when all of a sudden it just happened for me so don't be too discouraged. You will get there.

Finally, grab a knife and make some shallow cuts on both sides of the pick, that should give you a bit of extra traction which could help, but in the end it's all about techique.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Last edited by breakstuff at Jun 16, 2013,
For me this just took time. I noticed it was also partly strumming. I used to strum so hard that you could have filed domestic violence charges for it. Then my brother, afer being deafened in a jam, was like 'duuuude. Its all about the finesse, maaaan.' That may or may not be your problem but it was part of mine. I hold the pick pretty lazily and never seem to have a problem with it anymore. I suppose there's ways to practice it to make it go faster but I think you'll eventually notice you don't really do it anymore.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
"Hold it tighter" might not be the answer at all actually, it depends how tight TS is holding it already.

Quote by redd9
lol im trying to keep my picking hand relaxed tho

This quote right here is what lead me to believe he isn't holding it tight enough. Again, to relax the whole hand would mean he's letting his fingers rest easy, which would mean he isn't griping it hard enough. This is more than likely due to the fact that he's been finger picking this whole time.

But yes, you should definitely not grip it so hard that your fingers are practically squeezing each other, but just enough so that the impact of the strum on the strings isn't enough to knock it out of your hand.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Hold it tighter and with less of the tip contacting the strings. That way, you have more of the pick between your fingers, so you have a more stable grip.
some picks like dunlop have a rough grip texture on there picks which you can buy.
I might have overread it, but how about holding it slightly angled? If youre holding it parallel to the strings no doubt its going to flip out of your hand, because it has no other way around the string.
Quote by redd9
i played guitar using only my hand since i started, now i use a pick for a strumming and i keep dropping it whilst strumming lol

its a lot easier to strum with my fingers only but now im learning alternate picking i cant really not use a pick

You shouldnt "grab it harder".. it needs to be comfortable.. i guess, if it is ready to fall out of your hand when you are holding it, then grab it harder, but still not too hard, because the good sound will disappear!

You will get used to holding it right with time, and then you wont drop it.. I used to drop mine all the time..

It is so annoying to drop it into the "hole thinghy" (dont remember the name ) and then you'll look like an idiot trying to get it out

Maybe just put your thumb and indexfinger on your tongue, and then you wont drop it, since it'll just stick hope it helps.-