Hi,

I'm not a frequent UG user so I accidentally put this in a different subforum. This is where it should be I presume?...

I am 17 and have been playing for 4 years or so. I have recently started writing music using Garageband and iRig. I have written lots of rhythm guitar stuff, but this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZUqCp8IurQ) is my first writing a lead part and rhythm. I improvised the whole of the lead and it does meander slightly towards the end. Nonetheless, what are your opinions on my piece? My favourite artists are the National, Interpol and Arcade Fire so I am trying to go for a sort of indie rock/post-punk sound.

Thanks,
TGG_
Last edited by TGG_ at Jun 16, 2013,
It sounds a little bit like U2, just more delay(not much) and that'll be ok, cause the solo guitar sounds too raw especially when you play the same notes. And in the end when the backing guitar stops playing you can put a little bit echo, play just a few notes and let them sustain. The only thing I can complain on is the part 2.10- 2.17, cause it's too blues in my opinion and doesn't fit to the whole song. But these are just my thoughts. Overall, good solo for the composition with lyrics.
Not too bad! I think once you get the hang of it, you'll create some well rounded leads. Keep at it!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by JohnyToms
It sounds a little bit like U2, just more delay(not much) and that'll be ok, cause the solo guitar sounds too raw especially when you play the same notes. And in the end when the backing guitar stops playing you can put a little bit echo, play just a few notes and let them sustain. The only thing I can complain on is the part 2.10- 2.17, cause it's too blues in my opinion and doesn't fit to the whole song. But these are just my thoughts. Overall, good solo for the composition with lyrics.

Thanks I had the same comment on the 2:10-17 portion on another site - so that will be changed. Hopefully I'll record an updated version Thursday-ish.

Quote by randomhero65
Not too bad! I think once you get the hang of it, you'll create some well rounded leads. Keep at it!

Thanks!

Quote by dagget
Definitely feeling an interpol vibe at the end. I like your rhythm guitar tone! I think with some more well thought out and composed lead lines, you'll have no problem writing some great indie tunes.

Crit for crit? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605908

Sure! Thanks for your feedback
Pretty good, but the lead is definitely too sharp sounding - not notation wise, but it might be peaking with too much overdrive or something. Maybe lower that down just a tad, but otherwise, the mix is great! There are times when the rhythm guitar got drowned out just a tad, but they aren't all that noticeable. Lower the lead gain, maybe increase the bass just a very tiny bit, and I think you'll come out with a great product.