(Oh...)

Verse 5:
Master of mine, guide me now
I want to know my destiny
Mysterious Master, surround -- holy and wise eternally
Surrender my will, take up freedom
Command me now, here and evermore
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 17, 2013,
I'm not very good at critiquing straight up lyrics like this, but i'll give it a go.

I really like that first verse, great subtle rhyming and the wording is interesting.

The other verses progress well, leading cautiously to that dark conclusion (which I like) but maybe you could have foreshadowed it earlier on or something, just to build suspense. On that subject i don't feel that this needs another verse, it might make it too drawn out, you could consider squeezing the ideas you have into the other verses, or add to the chorus.

I must confess, however, I am not a fan of the chorus as it is lacking a definite hook and doesn't add anything really. I also think this reads well without a chorus, but that might not work in the context of a song.

Overall this piece has potential (that first verse really is great) but I think it just needs refining in a couple of places.
Quote by doubtfulsalmon
I'm not very good at critiquing straight up lyrics like this, but i'll give it a go.

I really like that first verse, great subtle rhyming and the wording is interesting.

The other verses progress well, leading cautiously to that dark conclusion (which I like) but maybe you could have foreshadowed it earlier on or something, just to build suspense. On that subject i don't feel that this needs another verse, it might make it too drawn out, you could consider squeezing the ideas you have into the other verses, or add to the chorus.

I must confess, however, I am not a fan of the chorus as it is lacking a definite hook and doesn't add anything really. I also think this reads well without a chorus, but that might not work in the context of a song.

Overall this piece has potential (that first verse really is great) but I think it just needs refining in a couple of places.

How would you refine the chorus? I tried to make the song title work as a hook (and I think it kind of does the way I intend to sing it). But suggestions?

As for another verse, the reasoning behind that is that V1 & 3 share a verse riff, while V2 & 4 share a different verse riff. Then, V5 shares a riff similar to V1 & 3 but different enough that the listener should notice. The outro then gets a bit technical as it leads up to that final crescendo.
Basically, this is a prog metal song, where all of the verses will share a musical commonality in that there's a brief strings part that comes in every 3 repetitions of the verse riffs. This song was kind of inspired by Metallica's "Master of Puppets" I admit (hence the "Master of the Universe" line, which was also the original title at one point), although it's significantly more progressive. Point is, it's a long progressive metal song with a Thrash-like feel.

Edit:
Oh, and I kind of hope to foreshadow the conclusion a bit in V4.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 17, 2013,
I like it, I can't judge your writing in a literary way (I'm not native english), but it seems good, in some places the rhymes don't seem to help a lot, but I guess it depends on how it'll be sang.

Are you writing music to this too? That can change a lot on the feel of the song.

Sorry if I can't make any really constructive criticism, I just wanted to say I found these lyrics really intresting.