Hey i want to create my own guitar that i may eventually buy (kinda like my dream guitar if you will), but i have no idea how to do that, i want to be able to manipulate practically everything (astecically wise mainly)

I do have photoshop, but i'm no expert in photoshop, i do have basic skills in it, but not enough to go on off on my own accord and create one from fresh

If anyone knows any sites / programmes / tips that would be useful, that would be great
I'd do a sketch and then scan it. Also, it will cost you one hell of a lot to make one. Most guitar companies have their custom shops so you'll gonna have to contact those.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
if you're not good with photoshop or 3d rendering, it can't hurt anything to practice with them
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by willT08
I dunno, if you make the astecics too complex it could run you a very high bill

This is why i'd create it using software

Also i suck at sketching, i am not a very artistic person using my hands, but i am a tech wiz and i'm sure i'd do better in photoshop
You could either build it yourself or get a luthier to build it for you. Either way you'll need a detailed to-scale template. And a lot of money.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 16, 2013,
Quote by Seref
You could either build it yourself or get a luthier to build it for you. Either way you'll need a detailed to-scale template. And a lot of money.

The eventually buy would be a long way down the road, i was just looking at some custom guitars on ESP's website and got me wanting to make my own, however being a student i have NOWHERE near the money or the talent to warrent it, but i still wanna create one (kinda like a little side project)
Well a luthier making a completely custom designed guitar for you would range in the several thousands of dollars. Building one yourself, you can also expect to break a grand if you'd need to buy all the tools or rent workshop time. Cost can be cut by buying shit hardware. A really crappy bridge would cost like $20, for instance. Compare to a $200 Original Floyd. And repeat for every part of the guitar.

Also, no luthier is going to accept a mockup in photoshop and then extrapolate a working design from it. Or if they do, they'd charge for that service. Read up on drafting and learn how to use CAD software and do your best. There's a collection of CAD templates somewhere in GB&C that you can use as a reference.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 16, 2013,
keep in mind busy custom shops usually take in the ballpark of 6 months to 2 years just waiting before your number's called on the queue to begin working on the instrument, plus anywhere from 3 months to a year to actually get the guitar to you, depending on the maker, your needs, etc.

it's perfectly reasonable to start drawing up stuff now to figure out what company will suit you best for your needs, where your budget will lie after factoring in other gear you're planning on working towards, and just in general learning more about your instrument and whether or not you even need to look beyond the shelves at a local music store for your perfect fit.

the research part is half the fun of buying new gear, anyway. just keep in mind that it very quickly begins to be feasible in your mind of minds that you can live off ramen for the next 3 years while you pay off your $4-6k custom and your $5k home recording rig
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
keep in mind busy custom shops usually take in the ballpark of 6 months to 2 years just waiting before your number's called on the queue to begin working on the instrument, plus anywhere from 3 months to a year to actually get the guitar to you, depending on the maker, your needs, etc.

it's perfectly reasonable to start drawing up stuff now to figure out what company will suit you best for your needs, where your budget will lie after factoring in other gear you're planning on working towards, and just in general learning more about your instrument and whether or not you even need to look beyond the shelves at a local music store for your perfect fit.

the research part is half the fun of buying new gear, anyway. just keep in mind that it very quickly begins to be feasible in your mind of minds that you can live off ramen for the next 3 years while you pay off your $4-6k custom and your $5k home recording rig

Yeah i'm well aware that it willbe VERY pricey, but it can't hurt to have an inital idea / design made for when ti eventually comes round to it
Are you looking for a custom shape? If not:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp#Kisekae VIM System

Use that, design a customized axe, then submit an order form to the custom shop dept of whoever it is whose model you used with what you designed in the creator as a visual reference.

I'll warn you though, it will come out expensive, even if it's not intricate with design. I tried to do it with ESP a while back, they said it would come out to be around $10,000. And it was nothing but a basic superstrat with a custom paint job.
I like how people keep saying 'A hell of a lot of money'. If he's got the basic tools, a body can be made for as little as 25$. Buy a warmoth neck for 150$, throw on some hardware, and you'll have your own custom guitar for <300$.

A custom guitar from any reputable company is going to cost 2500$+.
Quote by syntheticocean
I like how people keep saying 'A hell of a lot of money'. If he's got the basic tools, a body can be made for as little as 25$.

This.

As long as you're not making a guitar completely out of ebony or something ridiculous, it wouldn't be that expensive.
Just draw it. You can find a shape you like, print and trace it, modify it how you please, and add whatever design characteristics you please. It's what I'll be doing.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by RealUnrealRob
Get wood, cut it

Add bkps, string it. There you go.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Played around with it for about an hour and came up with a nice atempt

can't upload it from ym comp though cba to go into photobucket
Quote by syntheticocean
I like how people keep saying 'A hell of a lot of money'. If he's got the basic tools, a body can be made for as little as 25$. Buy a warmoth neck for 150$, throw on some hardware, and you'll have your own custom guitar for <300$.

A custom guitar from any reputable company is going to cost 2500$+.

Under $25 for the wood isn't going to be very good quality wood. I personally prefer mahogany bodies, and that sure as hell isn't going to be $25 to order. Basically, you'll be stuck with pine or some other low quality wood for $25.

Also, I'd get better quality hardware. Naturally, the hardware you tend to get with any pickups you order will be fairly good quality, but you still have the bridge, nut, knobs, etc. to worry about. And I wouldn't just get any cheap bridge, nut, or cheap electronic hardware.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 17, 2013,
For what it's worth, there's a book called 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock which looks pretty good. Brian May gives it his royal seal of approval in the foreword.