I have an office / guitar room in my house and right now with the AC running the relative humidity is about 40% which is a tad bit low for my acoustics... They are both Solid top, not all solid. Both are recommended to be kept between 45% and 55%.

I hate to keep my guitars in their cases because I'm less likely to pick them up and play them then if they are right out.

So my question is, do most people dedicate a room to a "Guitar Safe" climate or do most use the individual guitar humidifiers?

In looking around it seems I could pick up a small room humidifier with a humidistat for $60-80 and have my guitars out on display on a regular basis or I could put them in their cases with a guitar humidifier and not get to see them as often.

Opinions?

Perhaps tips on creating my "Guitar Safe" room?

Any feed back is appreciated... and yes I know people have asked about humidifiers before. I'm looking for feedback on opinions for one scenario vs. the other.

Oh, one last thing I only have a hard case for one of my acoustics the other only has a gig bag currently.
It really makes no sense to try and humidify a room that is air conditioned. It defeats the purpose, which is after all, to lower the temperature and the dew point.

They even tell you to run the AC on high if it's hot and dry, and low if it's just humid.

So, you can turn down the AC to make it comfortable for the guitars. Unfortunately that may not be best for your comfort. Plus, it presupposes that the outdorr humidity is always within range

40% RH shouldn't be hard to compensate for with a simple case humidifier.

You can't leave your guitars out on stands under the AC, that's all.
So you think I'm better to spend another 80ish dollars on a case and then another 40ish dollars on a couple of guitar humidifiers rather then 60 to 80 dollars on a humidifier that will keep that one 10'x11' room of my house slighty more humid?

And you're right about the outside humidity.. it's typically 80% or more.

I guess what concerns me is how do I know that case humidifier keeps them at the right humidity?
i use a separate room for them...well... a basement anyway. mancave/guitar room. it's a great escape. 2 humidifiers and 2 dehumidifiers( its a large basement) depending on the season, they all come in handy. and it's mostly underground so the neighbors aren't as annoyed( can't say the same for the cats). 65 in. flatscreen tuned to youtube and a guitar and i'm preoccupied for months at a time ! if only i were ever home enough...sigh. sad that i'm unemployed(kinda) and still cant come up with good practice time.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
...sigh. sad that i'm unemployed(kinda) and still cant come up with good practice time.
Yeah well, I've been trying to figure out how to improve with practice for nigh on 50 years. When you figure it out, please tell me.
Quote by stepchildusmc
i use a separate room for them...well... a basement anyway. mancave/guitar room. it's a great escape. 2 humidifiers and 2 dehumidifiers( its a large basement) depending on the season, they all come in handy. and it's mostly underground so the neighbors aren't as annoyed( can't say the same for the cats). 65 in. flatscreen tuned to youtube and a guitar and i'm preoccupied for months at a time ! if only i were ever home enough...sigh. sad that i'm unemployed(kinda) and still cant come up with good practice time.

Which units are you using?
we humidify our air conditioned apartment and it works out fine. that being said, our current a/c is much less drying to the place than our last one was, and i have no idea why/how that is possible. 40% isn't really very low - at least one guitar company keeps their factory at 40%. can't remember which one, but it might have been larrivee.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
we humidify our air conditioned apartment and it works out fine. that being said, our current a/c is much less drying to the place than our last one was, and i have no idea why/how that is possible. 40% isn't really very low - at least one guitar company keeps their factory at 40%. can't remember which one, but it might have been larrivee.

It might simply be a question of how much air the system is moving in terms of CFM. The less air moved, the more time is available to leech moisture out of it.

Air conditioner compressors are either on or off. So, as more air is moved past the evaporator, the shorter the contact time, the less temperature drop in the air stream occurs.

What you could tell us is, whether or not you leave guitars out on stands, because that's when the RH of the room is becomes most critical.

Besides all that, I'm not sure that 40% RH should be the point at where panic sets in.

I think Bruce might be over thinking it a bit.

OTOH, the humidity sticky has already told me my laminated guitars are crap, and I needn't worry about it.....
LOL, Yeah you're right I could be over thinking it... and yes I do prefer to keep them out on the stands.

But if anyone would like to see a product that I think could very nice to have around a quick internet search turned this up.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-1UHG3-Humidifier-Control-Plug/dp/B001OLVNUK

It's a plug in humidistat switch that you can plug a humidifier into and not worry about your humidity every dropping below a specific level.
Last edited by BruceDelaney at Jun 17, 2013,
hey, that's pretty interesting if it works. reviews make it sound like it can be worked with easily enough even if its measurements are off. we have a humidifier with a built-in humidistat, but i gather that accuracy with these vary some from unit to unit.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
hey, that's pretty interesting if it works. reviews make it sound like it can be worked with easily enough even if its measurements are off. we have a humidifier with a built-in humidistat, but i gather that accuracy with these vary some from unit to unit.

Yes I've seen those too... it seems like the built in humidistat units are for a much larger area then what I'm trying to keep in an acceptable range. So this would be an alternative for some of the smaller units that don't cost as much.
Well, if the humidity is as high as you say it is outside, before I spent a bunch of money on equipment to create humidity indoors, I's simply set the A/C to draw air from the outside instead of recirculating interior air. Then, I'd watch and see what happened.

My guess is the interior humidity would rise, since the A/C isn't re-drying as much air.

And have you given "the salt test" to your hygrometer? Methinks they're the most finicky, the most ornery, the most inaccurate pieces of shit, that ever has been foisted off on an unsuspecting public as a "weather instrument".

And you have to look up and do a "salt test". Patti tells everybody to do one, but never how to do it. I think that's pretty funny, so I'm following her lead.....
pee on it cranky... should read 100% humidity and 15% salinity.
Quote by stepchildusmc
pee on it cranky... should read 100% humidity and 15% salinity.
Dear God!, you've blinded me with science....
Not sure how I'd get the AC to pull in outside air short of running duct work to the outside lol. My AC isn't set up that way....

As for the salt test, no I haven't tried it but will give it a shot.

I've got a few Ideas swimming in my head...

Over time it appears the room I'm keeping my guitars in is fluctuating between 37% and 43% Humidity according to my meter thus far. I've put a pot of water in front of the register in hopes it would add a tiny bit of moisture to the air but it's not proving very effective.
i find potted plants work much better than standing water. and they show off your sensitive side ! the plants do seem to help with humidity. i use dual-purpose plants....herbs and peppers. keeps humidity in check and i can cook with them..... freakin' thyme keeps dying though.
Quote by BruceDelaney
Not sure how I'd get the AC to pull in outside air short of running duct work to the outside lol. My AC isn't set up that way.....
This may be "my bad" as the children say. I just checked my two tiny ghetto coolers, and neither one has an intake from outside control.

That used to be a standard feature, the ability to mix outside fresh air into the stream, instead of recycling the same old air, day after day. It occurs to me that with today's emphasis on energy efficiency, that would reduce the number they could attach to the unit, and likely has been done away with.

No excuses. I'm an old fart, living in the past. (Unless they still have it on air conditioners that cost more than a hundred bucks. But here again, I wouldn't know).
oh, There may have been a mis-communication on my part as well... I have Central Air.

On a side note, I may not need to do anything... I'm testing a few theories out and it seems if I just leave the door of that room open all the time It get's the humidity into the high forties / low fifties...

That may be all the change I need to make for the summer time.
Last edited by BruceDelaney at Jun 19, 2013,