Hey all, so I've been saving up from my summer job and I figured I'd upgrade from my Ibanez RG120. It's served me well (I've gigged with it), but I got it used and it was never in great shape from the time I got it... bridge and pickups are quite a bit oxidized, etc. I plan on still keeping it around as my backup.
Anyway, I'm upgrading and it'd be awesome to get some advice.
I've found an ESP LTD EC-1000 for 450. It's the Amber Sunburst one, meaning that it comes with Seymour Duncan pickups instead of the typical EMGs (I don't mind this). It's a B Stock also ("minor cosmetic flaws that do not affect playability").
I also found an ESP Eclipse-I for 800. It appears to be mostly stock (EMG pickups, etc.), but it's got plek'd frets for what it's worth.
So which one is a better deal, do y'all think? Should I go the extra 350 for the Eclipse? I have a Line 6 Spider III HD150 Half Stack that I'm very comfortable with, so the money wouldn't go to a nicer amp or anything, but I probably would spend some of the extra 350 saved from the EC-1000 on some pedals and such.

TL;DR- LTD EC-1000 for 450 or ESP Eclipse for 800?
Also, if anyone has recommendations for guitars (especially LP type) in 5-700$ range, let me know... I've done a decent amount of research but more opinions is always nice.
The LTD is a nice guitar, but I'd rather have the ESP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get the LTD.

Flog the Spider and use that 450 or so you have to buy a 6505 112 or similar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Pedals and spiders do not mix well at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Eh, I really doubt I want to part with the Spider, got it for a steal and I genuinely like the tone I get from it... I play punk (not hardcore, I mean straightforward punk) and I'm the rhythm guitarist in my band (lead singer/rhythm guitar) and relatively little in the way of metal so from what I can tell a 6505 isn't really up my alley as far as amps go, I had looked into it when I was buying my amp.
Ditch the spider and get a Peavey Windsor head, Peavey VTM or Peavey Ultra you can get all of these for <$300 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

I had a spider II HD150 and it worked and I thought it was awesome until I plugged into a tube amp and then I realized what I was missing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So would you recommend going for the Eclipse, selling the Line 6 150 head, and getting a Peavey Windsor 100W Head? From what it looks like on Guitar Center's used gear, the Line 6 head is actually a bit more expensive than the Peavey Windsor, but I like everything I've heard about tube amps. Thanks for the advice!
Get a VTM or Ultra over a Windsor if you can. They're much more flexible, and much higher quality.

The Windsor's not terrible but you'll probably want to boost it once you actually get it.

EDIT: This would be perfect, jump on this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-ULTRA-60-NEW-TUBES-W-FOOTSWITCH-8-5-061213-632EY-ULTRA-60-NEW-TUBES-W-FOOTSWITCH-8-5-109096324-i3194230.gc

Is your cab a Spider Valve or a Vetta cab? If not, you should replace that too.

This one is. Excellent value. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-412VS-4X12-GUITAR-CAB-W-V30-SPEAKERS-109053769-i3175886.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 16, 2013,
I have the ec-1000,great workhorse.You won't look back,get it,sell spider,and 5150 212 and you are set
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
What are y'alls thoughts on the Gibson Les Paul Studio? It's between the EC-1000 and Eclipse in price...
Quote by riceowls
What are y'alls thoughts on the Gibson Les Paul Studio? It's between the EC-1000 and Eclipse in price...

It's a deceptively different guitar in terms of what it's good at.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
What's the difference in terms of what they're good at? Same goes for Gibson Les Paul Special, which also seems to be in between the EC-1K and Eclipse in price. Thanks!
Quote by riceowls
What's the difference in terms of what they're good at? Same goes for Gibson Les Paul Special, which also seems to be in between the EC-1K and Eclipse in price. Thanks!

They're great for blues, have thicker necks, thicker bodies and have better construction.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Oh okay, thanks! Anything on differences between the Gibson LP Studio and Gibson LP Special? They seem to be about the same price. Overall, dollar for dollar, what would you say is the best out of those four (EC1K, Gibson LP Studio, Gibson LP Special, and Eclipse)?
Again, thanks to everyone for your advice!
Depends on what you're after for a guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
Basically I'm the rhythm guitarist (and lead singer, but that sh*t don't matter on a guitar forum) for a punk/rock band, so what I'm looking for is something that plays especially well with overdrive/crunch sound. Handling serious metal distortion isn't really a must for me, but our lead guitarist is a BIG Van Halen fan, and his guitar lines often reflect that. Warm, bright, punky sound (think maybe like the Clash? That's the most recognizable band I can think of that I'd like it to sound like), but versatility would be nice too. Durability is a must, too, as I will be playing gigs with it (my poor Ibanez RG120 got like multiple beers sloshed on it during our most recent show a couple months ago before the college year ended, haha).
IMHO, I'd go with the LTD then. It seems to me like you're not entirely sure on what you want, so it might be better to not spend the extra cash if you don't need to. Also, humbuckers should work better for you than EMG's. Should.

The way I think of it, the EC-1000/Eclipse is a more modern take on a Les Paul. It could be cool to have the bright tones of the lead guitarist with the more full tones of the EC-1000/Eclipse.

If you find the right one, a Gibson LP Studio could work for you as well. Just saying. Try out all 4 you're interested in, and see which one you like. If you go the LTD route, ditch the Spider and maybe grab a 5150 or something? Unless you feel that the Spider fits. Its your sound, man.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna hit the music store after I get off work tomorrow and see what they've got.
It seems as if I'm the guy who, when someone says they're looking for a horse, I ask, "Have you considered this zebra over here?"

You've gotten some good horse-buying advice here. I'll suggest some zebra options you probably have not considered:

The Malden Karma and Bad Karma (I own a Bad Karma). The Karma's pickups are more like a Gibson or Epi- suited for mainstream blues and classic hard rock tones. The Bad Karma's pickups are voiced a bit more towards hard rock & metal. Both have coil splitting, but I think only the BK has individual splitting.

http://maldenguitars.com/karma.htm
http://maldenguitars.com/storeBadKarma.htm

Reverend has a variety of guitars you might like. Almost all of Rev's lineup is aimed at mainstream rock, blues, country and indie tones, but there are also some that are metal machines. Standard features include a korina body (tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter) and a bass contour control that does for the low end what the tone control does for the treble. Plenty of models have P90s, which might be better for the sound you're searching for. One- the Double Agent III- has a bridge HB & P90 in the neck and has a Wilkinson trem. It runs about $850 street price.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/double-agent-iii/

Edit: stumbled on a B-stock (scratch & dent) Reverend Gil Parris signature model. HSH pickup array. $898...with HSC.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/14230.php?CategoryID=234&n=1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 17, 2013,
Hmm, both the Malden BK and Reverend Double Agent look really solid. I found a Reverend Double Agent (not a Double Agent III, but still has the same pickup config and all- actually looks really cool, more vintage-y than the DAIII) on eBay for 600, definitely looking into it more. I really like the humbucker-and-P90 combo. I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews on either Maldens or Reverend Double Agents, have you played either? The Malden BK is basically the same price (actually a bit more) than the ESP Eclipses I've been finding on eBay, do you know how it holds up against them?

Edit: I saw in your post that you own a Malden BK, how do you like it? How would you say it compares to other LP-type guitars?
Last edited by riceowls at Jun 17, 2013,
I haven't played a DA- they're one of the rarer birds of the Rev line- but I bought a Flatroc 15th anniversary edition earlier this year, and tried out other Reverends in store- a Reeves Gabrels sig, a Club King and a few others. They feel nice, and seem well made- I have yet to find an issue with mine. My Flatroc has RevTron miniHBs, and makes for a fierce rockabilly/psychobilly noise. The neck is mid-sized, at least to me.

I actually own a Malden Bad Karma. If I had to categorize, I'd say the Karma is most like the Gibsons & Epis, while the BK is more like ESPs & LTD versions of the LP. The body has nice contours, and the BK's satin finish is very seductive. The neck is slimmer than a Gibson: of all my other guitars, its neck is most like my Dean Time Capsule Cadillac or my Fernandes Ravelle Elite- slim, but not really Ibanez slim. Its passive HBs are as hot as the ones in those guitars, too. Even on the cleanest settings, there's still a trace of grit in the tone. When split, the HBs deliver a snarling singlecoil-like tone. The worst thing about the BK is that it is a Limited Edition, so who knows how many they have left, if any. The next worst is that Malden's agreement with the company that made their custom cases is over, so you're on your own...and the Karma line is just enough bigger in the body that it does not fit standard LP cases. (Mine is in a Gretsch HSC.)

Quality wise, I'd probably rate it better than any LTD or Epi I've handled, but not as good as the ESPs or better Gibsons I've tried. But at those prices...

Both guitars were bought a few months ago, and I really haven't sidelined either one yet. Both a fun to play- for different reasons, of course- and I don't see the honeymoon ending anytime soon. I'd buy another Malden or Rev, no question. To put that in context, look at my profile & check out my other guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 17, 2013,