Right now i'm trying to dabble into some sweep picking exercises and I have my first shape down at a considerable speed, but I want to know how would you mute the unwanted string noise while sweep picking. Thanks in advance.
I try to keep my left hand at more of angle so my fingers mute the strings that arnt being played. Also if you are trying to record or something try putting a hair band over the neck or tie a sock around the neck on the lower frets. It will sound cleaner, wouldnt recommend it for live use or anything else though. The noise will go away as your technique gets better.
you need to be muting with both your picking and fretting hand, just like when you use any other picking technique
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
In my experience it takes most people a long time to clean up their sweep picking. It is essential though. LH index finger often mutes the string above the fretted one PLUS the thinner strings below, whilst the RH mutes the thicker strings above the fretted on. Some players also use the RH little finger to mute one of two of the thinnest strings.

Obviously it depends what string you are actually playing at the time but broadly speaking this is the approach. Be patient :-)
In my experience it takes most people a long time to clean up their sweep picking. It is essential though. LH index finger often mutes the string above the fretted one PLUS the thinner strings below, whilst the RH mutes the thicker strings above the fretted on. Some players also use the RH little finger to mute one of two of the thinnest strings.

This is essential for all electric guitar playing, but there's a couple of things that apply to sweep picking in particular.

First, don't "lift" any finger that don't need to be lifted - leave them just touching the string so that they mute it. This also massively helps your economy of motion.

Secondly, your right hand muting has to be excellent - try this exercise -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30-4OeXLiZc