I'm learning the solo to Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan, and can play it quite well at about 80% speed. My question is, how do i get to the point where i can play along to the actual recording; do i have to systematically try to improve my speed, or will it develop naturally as i get more comfortable with the piece of music?
Yes and yes.

As you get more used to a passage, you (hopefully) naturally relax more as you play it and become more confident in it. However, you can speed up the process by practicing. Focus on economy of motion and precision, and speed up as you become more confident. You'll get it in no time.
If you want to go faster then you have to slow down. I would recommend chaning the tempo to really slow and practicing every note as slow as possible gradually making the tempo faster. After such session give your hand one day break and your muscle memory will do the rest
Quote by krajew4
If you want to go faster then you have to slow down. I would recommend chaning the tempo to really slow and practicing every note as slow as possible gradually making the tempo faster. After such session give your hand one day break and your muscle memory will do the rest

I dont beat myself up over past mistakes... lifes too short for that nonsense, but boy do I wish I payed more attention to this earlier. Practicing slow to get clean feels like torture at times but man it works. After about 4 years of playing with limited practice time I evaluated my skills and realized how much slop I played. So I really focused on slowing things down and practicing scales. Yes... scales. Im sooooo glad I did. ALL my playing is improving. Silly me
he of tranquil mind