I would like a strat that would sounds closest to John Frusciante or Hendrix's tone. I don't have a specific budget yet, but i would like to know. Thanks!
I would think most Strat's would do. However, (arguably) most of your tone comes from your amp, and (arguably again), from your fingers/technique, etc. Just letting you know.

I'm not too sure on the specific amps or guitars they used however. I'm sure a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah would be a good starting point though
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Are you looking for Fender Strats only, or are you open to Strats by other guitar makers?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hellooooooo?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I would go for an American Standard or American Deluxe. Generally figure out what price range you are comfortable with and try to get the highest level within that price. If you want to get used you will find a lot more out there. Stock higher end strats are beautiful guitars and in my opinion you could not go wrong with any of them. Again, that is my opinion and i am kinda a fender fanboy.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by AWACS
I would think most Strat's would do. However, (arguably) most of your tone comes from your amp, and (arguably again), from your fingers/technique, etc. Just letting you know.

I'm not too sure on the specific amps or guitars they used however. I'm sure a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah would be a good starting point though

Though you can't achieve a Strat sound without any other guitar than a Strat, no matter what amp you are using. A Strat through any amp will sound like a Strat.

But yeah, I think the Hendrix tone is in the stuff you play. Though a Strat helps you achieve that tone easier.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
It comes down to amps and tone really. But if you want a great tone without breaking the bank, Fender Deluxe Players Series. Or if you like hotter pick-ups and a lot of mojo, the Road Worn Series.
Hendrix tone? Haha, good luck man.

Hendrix doesn't even sound like Hendrix outside of the studio.

Just get a good strat. G&L makes Legacy Tributes, you can get an American Fender or maybe even a decent MIM if you are on a budget. The main thing to get "tone" is amps and effects.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Hendrix tone? Haha, good luck man.

Hendrix doesn't even sound like Hendrix outside of the studio.

Just get a good strat. G&L makes Legacy Tributes, you can get an American Fender or maybe even a decent MIM if you are on a budget. The main thing to get "tone" is amps and effects.

Unless the tone you are looking for is a Strat tone. Strat tone can't be achieved with any amp, you need a Strat to achieve that tone as I said in earlier post.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Though you can't achieve a Strat sound without any other guitar than a Strat, no matter what amp you are using. A Strat through any amp will sound like a Strat.

But yeah, I think the Hendrix tone is in the stuff you play. Though a Strat helps you achieve that tone easier.

Agreed.

Trying to get away from the strat, but every time I play one I simply cannot deny that I can't get that feeling on something else.

Same with tele's I,ve played on most expensive gear, but when I play my friends no name tele through cheap amp, it still gives me a feeling i don't get on my other gear.

It's weird that the character can be so distinct even on knockoffs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 19, 2013,