I am on the market for a new guitar pedal.
Genre: Grind, Death Metal
Seeking: warm, thick, heavy, distorted, crunch, lo-fi, full sound
Not looking for anything shreddy or hi pitched.
Im definitely focusing on LOWS and a thick, fat crunch!

Any recomendations?

Im playing through:
Ibanez TB100H Tone Blaster 100W Half Stack (The distortion is whack)
Parker Fly
Ibanez RG
EHX Metal Muff w/top boost has plenty of low end and 3 band eq to shape it to your taste.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Cool thanks for the quick responses!
I will take both into consideration
But it does seems like the Metalzone may focus on the highs a bit much for my taste.
Seriously, you cannot do better than the AmpTweaker Tight Metal pedal. Its more of a preamp in pedal form and its circuitry is based off the Ampeg VH140c, which was used by Suffocation and still is used by Dying Fetus.

I'm running one into a power amp for home use, and use my VH140c for gigs. The tone is really similar.

Edit: forgot to mention, the dude from Misery Index uses this pedal in his main rig now for live play.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 17, 2013,
If you want something dark and clunky, I definitely suggest the MXR Double Shot distortion. It has two separate distortion channels, as the name implies.

The top channel is wired the exact same way the MXR dime distortion pedal is, high and crispy.

The bottom channel of this pedal is really low, dark, and thick. Honestly, its not my thing, but seeing as thats what your looking for, I'd check this pedal out.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Metal zone could be useful for death/grind. Scott Hull from Pig destroyer used it, guys from Cannibal Corpse also use one (I think it's Keeley modified) for boosting their Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifiers. Scott Hull now uses Amptweaker Tight Metal too, so I guess you should try these pedals.
Wow that AmpTweaker - Tight Metal is pretty sick! Checked out a couple vids.
MXR Double Shot is super thick!
Liking those two as of right now.
Anyone try a GNI Xtreme distortion? Just had someone recommend that to me at a local guitar shop
Quote by JackovSlayer
Metal zone could be useful for death/grind. Scott Hull from Pig destroyer used it, guys from Cannibal Corpse also use one (I think it's Keeley modified) for boosting their Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifiers. Scott Hull now uses Amptweaker Tight Metal too, so I guess you should try these pedals.
I believe Scott Hull used to use the Crate GX130C -- which was identical to the VH140c. So it makes sense that he would use the AmpTweaker.
Joyo Pocket Metal, if you want to spend reeeally little money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The GNI just sounds OK. Could be good, but didn't sound great in the demo I watched. That Joyo just sounds awful. It's very digital sounding and gets kind of muddy.

Another one to check out is the MXR Fullbore, which has a noise gate like the AmpTweaker, but it's missing the effects loop.

Edit: Actually, I just looked up a few demos of the Fullbore, and it sounds terrible. Worse than that Joyo. I don't know why I remember liking it, maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 17, 2013,
Boss hm-2 is popular for this sound too. Check it out.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^^I was about to say "I can't believe nobody hasn't recommended an HM-2 yet!!!" but you beat me to it.

The HM-2 PISSES on any Metal Zone pedal. The Metal Zone (MT-2) does not have what TS wants. Trust me, I owned one for a long time. Even with the bass cranked it does not even approach the adjectives "thick," "warm," or "full sound." Gain it does have -- gobs and gobs of unusable gain. Plenty of fizzy beehive tone as well...but I digress.

The HM-2, on the other hand...well, they don't make 'em any gnarlier than the HM-2. EXACTLY what TS was asking for.

*Edit: It should be stated that the HM-2 does not work well as a stand-alone distortion pedal. I've found that mine works much better in a boost style to an already distorted sound. It's not so much to get more gain, it's to re-shape the character of the distortion. With the "Low" cranked and the other tone knob just shy of cranked, it sounds thicker than concrete and really brings out the heavyness in your palm mutes and even single low notes. Just listen to Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage and At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul albums to get an idea of the pedal's range.
Last edited by KailM at Jun 17, 2013,
Obligatory Boss HM-2 suggestion.

I have one.

It's gnarly.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Obligatory "what you need is a new amp" suggestion as well.

But on a budget, HM-2 is your best bet.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by KailM
*Edit: It should be stated that the HM-2 does not work well as a stand-alone distortion pedal. I've found that mine works much better in a boost style to an already distorted sound.

I found that they tend to work better with solid state amps as standalone distortion, you get into the "Left Hand Path" field straight away. With tube amps it's usually a bit tricky.
Quote by godgrinder
Obligatory "what you need is a new amp" suggestion as well.

But on a budget, HM-2 is your best bet.
+1 on the new amp. Starting with a good amp is always better than using a pedal as a bandaid for a bad one.

Still, I wouldn't suggest using an HM-2 on its own. As a boost, its great, but as a stand alone preamp, you can do much better.
Try these:
DF7
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/digitechdf7.htm
Metal Master
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/digitechmetalmaster.htm
HT DistX
http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-distx/
or HT-Dual Metal

the old DOD Grunge might also do the trick. I think MXR also had a Dime pedal that would be perfect for what you describe.
HM-2 is second to none IMO for this type of sound. Try using a bass cab at a gig too, works amazing.
Boss HM-2 is practically necessary for Death/Grind. Its bitch to set up properly (all knobs dimed is not always the correct answer) and make work with your amp without turning everything into mush but there is no other pedal that can create that certain thick grinding rusty chainsaw from hell sound. Its used as a boost to your amps lead or crunch channels, as a standalone it doesnt really work but its tone changing capabilities is what makes it special.

Unfortunately its discontinued and has been quite some time and despite petitions Boss is not interested in rereleasing it at the moment, driving the prices up on ebay (and bands using it actively are hoarding them). Behringer has a clone HM300 that achieves the same basic sound but is build quality is poored and is not exactly same, due to poorer quality parts most likely.

HM2 in action in both death/grindcore and death metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6c44hUK8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw8oYZdO22o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdQnPakmPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhUTwYWg6Js

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 18, 2013,
I had BOSS ML-2 for a few years, it was great, much better than metal zone.
Cool videos, I think I found a few new bands to check out \m/

I had a friend from a band in similar style that used two Mesa Dual Rectifier stacks with two Boss Metalzone pedals in front, pretty much got that sound as well. The Mesa was set for mid crunch sound that had that midrange you hear on Demonical and then the Boss pedals provided the noise around that.

He was also tuned to low B or see, don't remember. You can probably do it with a single Metal zone in front or the Digitech Metal Master or Death Metal pedal.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 18, 2013,
Holy shit, just checked eBay, is the HM-2 in a value bubble right now? I got mine for $30...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ExDementia
+1 on the new amp. Starting with a good amp is always better than using a pedal as a bandaid for a bad one.

Still, I wouldn't suggest using an HM-2 on its own. As a boost, its great, but as a stand alone preamp, you can do much better.

Have you ever tried running the HM-2 into a big clean solid state amp? That was basically what Entombed did back in the days and it works quite great for me. TS has a 100w solid state head so I reckon it should be pretty alright for him to say at least.
No, that was one of the pedals that instantly went back to the store for refund. Don't get me wrong - someone posted samples from bands using that sound and while it is a disgusting farty mess some of the bands sounded really good.

Just not sure it should be advocated as high, cause if we really want to go back to basics Varg recorded Burzum's first two albums with a shitty little 10 watt Peavey combo that was distorted so bad it was about to explode. Some people think it is kult and the best guitar sound ever. That I guess could also be considered a "metal" tone
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 19, 2013,