Regional slang/vernacular that would be pretty awful in other places

Page 1 of 2
As an example, among most of my friends, when someone makes a really bad joke, we say, "Schwing!" Then, I said that to my dad when he made one of those dad "jokes", and he said:

"Why the **** would you say that?"

So I inquired as to what he meant, and he informed me that according to his apparent demographic, "schwing" basically means to get a hard-on. Quite obviously, this was an unacceptable thing to be saying to my father. I'm not a Lannister.

Now, in hindsight, that shit was pretty funny. But what are some other examples you have of words or terms that you/your friends enjoy that would be super awkward if heard by other people?

EDIT: BladeSlinger has made the useful correction that it's Targaryens, not Lannisters.
Last edited by progdude93 at Jun 17, 2013,
Not slang, but "negr" is a commonly used and accepted word for black people in Russia.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
'root' in australia means fuck

everywhere else I don't think it does
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
EDIT: As in "I'm so gonna root you." I guess I can hear it. It sounds slightly more violent, but I'd say there's a fine line between the two.

Bubbler?

Most places its kind of like a hand-held bong but here it's a term for water-fountain.

But also term for a weed smoking device.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jun 17, 2013,
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
'root' in australia means fuck

everywhere else I don't think it does

Root? I can't really say that's a dumb term, because I don't see any reason **** would be a better term, but it's pretty ****ing hysterical

^and yeah, here a bubbler is basically a mini-bong. I can definitely imagine someone moving, and asking a teacher where the bubbler is and all the hijinks, shenanigans, and rofls that ensue.
Quote by progdude93
As an example, among most of my friends, when someone makes a really bad joke, we say, "Schwing!" Then, I said that to my dad when he made one of those dad "jokes", and he said:

So I inquired as to what he meant, and he informed me that according to his apparent demographic, "schwing" basically means to get a hard-on. Quite obviously, this was an unacceptable thing to be saying to my father. I'm not a Lannister.

Now, in hindsight, that shit was pretty funny. But what are some other examples you have of words or terms that you/your friends enjoy that would be super awkward if heard by other people?

Have you never seen Wayne's World?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by theogonia777
Not slang, but "negr" is a commonly used and accepted word for black people in Russia.

its ''neger'' in Norway.
Quote by snipelfritz
EDIT: As in "I'm so gonna root you." I guess I can hear it. It sounds slightly more violent, but I'd say there's a fine line between the two.

'wanna go back to my flat for a root?' 'yeah mate I finally rooted her' 'she was a good root'
shit like that

Quote by progdude93
Root? I can't really say that's a dumb term, because I don't see any reason **** would be a better term, but it's pretty ****ing hysterical

takes rooting for your team to the next level hey
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I urbandictionaried the term (yes, I just verbed that word) and Wayne's World came up. I've seen it, but a very long time ago, when it was playing constantly on Comedy Central when I was like 7 and I secretly watched it when my parents weren't home.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves

takes rooting for your team to the next level hey

those cheerleaders love to root for their team.
Why would a Lannister say "hard on" to their father?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Oh. Hahaha.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by progdude93
A Lannister would get a hard-on from their family.

It's only a twin sibling with the Lannisters.

Targaryens are the ones you're looking for.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Targareyns didn't bang their dads though. If anything he should've said "I'm not one of Craster's daughters"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ErikLensherr
Targareyns didn't bang their dads though. If anything he should've said "I'm not one of Craster's daughters"

He amended it to family in general, but Craster's women are correct for the original point.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by captainsnazz
Root is a thing in england too.

Really? Which bit of England? Here where I'm from, root is search. As in, 'rooting around my drawers for a pen' or some shit.
Yarr!
Quote by Smudgee
Really? Which bit of England? Here where I'm from, root is search. As in, 'rooting around my drawers for a pen' or some shit.

That's how we would use it in the US, or at least West Coast. Rooting around in your drawers must mean something completely different in Aus
Sucks to be an Android user in Australia then hahaha
Last edited by pyarsa at Jun 17, 2013,
Texas here... but I don't think we really say anything no one would understand elsewhere. Common slang like "y'all" everyone knows.

We use "a minute" in Houston to mean a long period of time (as well as a literal minute ). Like, "It's been a minute since I played guitar" (It's been a long fucking time since I yadaydayad).
Calling things the shit in America.

Don't think that'd quite work out so well in other places.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Calling things the shit in America.

I'd imagine it's difficult for foreigners to grasp the difference between "shit" and "the shit". I can't think of any other language that has that.

C'est la merde
Anyone else use "nout" for "nothing" here
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by desperatechris
its ''neger'' in Norway.

But it's by no means acceptable, nor is it more commonly used than in the US.
Quote by sashki
I'd imagine it's difficult for foreigners to grasp the difference between "shit" and "the shit". I can't think of any other language that has that.

C'est la merde

You're wrong. Common colloquial expressions aren't that hard to comprehend, unless they're British.

I've noticed that using the expression "swear like a sailor" (in Norwegian) is too outdated for young (20'ish) morons from Bergen, and caused one to throw a hissy fit at me.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by progdude93

Your dad should feel bad for not watching and worshipping Wayne's World. However, I agree that you are an idiot for the misuse of "Schwing".

Quote by progdude93

EDIT: BladeSlinger has made the useful correction that it's Targaryens, not Lannisters.

Targaryens only did it to keep their blood lines pure. I'm assuming you're a male and can't produce offspring with your father. I'm not sure which GoT house was into gay incest. If you are a female then "one of Craster's Daughters" would have worked.
Quote by captainsnazz
North but I thought it was everywhere. But yeah it also means that for me too.

Lived in the north for 21 years (my entire life) and never heard it used like that.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
"Oi mate, let us bum a fag!"

I can see how that could cause some confusion.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
In the northeastern US it's common to substitute "that was great" with "it was the cash hachi machi" or "that was bugger my great aunt stupendous".
Quote by Masquirina
In the northeastern US it's common to substitute "that was great" with "it was the cash hachi machi" or "that was bugger my great aunt stupendous".

The ****.

I know many people from the NE US and I've never heard that
"Talk ****" means something different from what it sounds like

^peng means ice here haha
cat
It's pretty standard round here (and probably in most of England) to say you're having a fag instead of a cigarette.

I suppose that would make americans giggle.
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
It's pretty standard round here (and probably in most of England) to say you're having a fag instead of a cigarette.

I suppose that would make americans giggle.

Sure does.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Page 1 of 2