http://www.the-free-foundation.org/tst6-17-2013.html

So, looks like there's a new Iraq on the boundary. All the other threads seemed irrelevant to the particular issue of US arming of Al-Qaeda allied rebels and potentially having a war in the future to support these Al-Qaeda allied rebels gain power. and for what reason?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/11/syria-al-qaeda-connection/2075323/

Don't believe this shit? Cool. Choose red or blue, it'll make the world a better place.
The funny thing is that the west is supplying the weapons for the rebels.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bloodshed344
Yeah I said that in the first post even posted a source...

Check out both links.

Huh?

You think I want to read OP? I just want to agree with you.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Here's something I don't say too often: Ron Paul is completely right.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Do they have oil?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by LostLegion
There's a war in Syria?

my family keep telling me there's a war on but i maintain they're joking.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
i'm uninformed about this issue. is the use of poison gas the only complaint about the syrian government here? i can't imagine an al-Qaeda government abusing less human rights...
Quote by Eastwinn
i'm uninformed about this issue. is the use of poison gas the only complaint about the syrian government here? i can't imagine an al-Qaeda government abusing less human rights...

Try actually reading whats going on. United States is supporting Al-Qaeda allied rebels to topple the Syrian government. I thought I made it completely clear.
Quote by bloodshed344
Try actually reading whats going on. United States is supporting Al-Qaeda allied rebels to topple the Syrian government. I thought I made it completely clear.

alright yeah i'll try that next time
Quote by bloodshed344

The whole Iraq situation started ten years ago. Now it's happening all over again in a different colour. Do I expect people to act surprised? Yup.

Do I expect people to act at all?
inb4 "WE HAVE TO AT LEAST DO SOMETHING!!!!"
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Just as well Al-Qaeda is fucking awesome. In Arabic, Al-Qaeda is an anagram of 'victory through love and tolerance xo'
It is not a "new Iraq on the boundary." It is, however, an entirely stupid idea to arm anybody in that country.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by bradulator
inb4 "WE HAVE TO AT LEAST DO SOMETHING!!!!"

inb4 let innocent people die. US just wants oil anyway that's the only reason they do anything
Al-Qaeda though...

Also death and war.

Also money and future investments.

Also bad karma.

Also bad future investments.

Also new government control based on radical islam.

Also same shit happening in 15 years.

News? I don't really care for news anymore.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I was under the impression that Hezbollah is much more present in this conflict than Al-Qaeda
Quote by willT08
inb4 let innocent people die. US just wants oil anyway that's the only reason they do anything

let's be honest here, even if the humanitarian efforts of the U.S. government really was just to protect the oil market, at least we got two things for the price of one.
No this isn't a new Iraq. Far from it.

This is gonna end up being a choking game. The U.S. or some NATO countries will introduce a no fly zone, which will help because a lot the killing is happening by air bombing missions from Assad's side. Then it's gonna be like Lybia; slowly things will progress from a no-fly zone mission, to strategic bombings of weapons depots, airfields, artillery groupings and the list goes on.

The future of warfare is in the air it seems. Boots on the ground is so damn risky and so damn expensive. And we all know that money is not a hot item to be spending right now.
Quote by willT08

I think the big bad U.S. still cares about a hundred thousand people dying and millions being displaced and having their belongings destroyed. Also, the Syrian government is just a bad apple that seriously needs to be replaced.

And of course, the whole chemical weapons thing. That's kind of appalling.
what a pain in the ass

What's most poignant in footage of displaced syrians (or 3rd world victims of any kind), is when people mention "feeling humiliated/disgusted" with their family's situation (no toilet, no house, etc). I think it's often reassuring for many westerners to assume people in such circumstances become inured to their surroundings, and aren't aware of the modern "luxuries" everyone else has. It's much more depressing to think about the reality, that of course people in favelas/huts/homeless know most of us have stoves, showers, TVs, microwaves, running water, etc.

Sucks
Quote by metalblaster
I think the big bad U.S. still cares about a hundred thousand people dying and millions being displaced and having their belongings destroyed. Also, the Syrian government is just a bad apple that seriously needs to be replaced.

And of course, the whole chemical weapons thing. That's kind of appalling.

Right, and Al-Qaeda are the ones to do it! Go Al-Qaeda.
Our boys in green, red, and black are gonna get em!
yay freedom!

woot

wwooooot!!

Quote by Dreadnought
It is not a "new Iraq on the boundary." It is, however, an entirely stupid idea to arm anybody in that country.

I respect you a lot Dreadnought, but I respect Ron Paul a lot more and agree with what he says on the subject pretty much 100%.
This will be the first time in a while that France not only took the lead (in aiding the rebels) but are also taking a stance opposite the USSR. That suprised me.

I still don't think that the U.S. is involved solely because of oil, here or back in Iraq. Selling arms and involving the military makes a lot of people, a lot more money. I liken it to the war on drugs in the U.S. Its the police and court systems that profit from it. And who cannot operate without that money to the extent they have been for decades.

I also think its about getting a foothold in that region for other more pressing agendas, like getting closer to Iran.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

A big point of the US getting involved is to attempt to reinforce the moderate groups against the Jabat Al-Nusras of the opposition. How far that'll work, IDK, doesn't seem massively likely they'll be able to keep tabs on where all their weapons end up - probably why they're not giving out SAMs and stuff.

Saw a very interesting post that sort of makes the Syria policy make sense.It suggests that the US really doesn't have any strategic interest in either side winning the war, but if it can prolong it, forcing Iran and Hezbollah to keep investing men and resources into it, at low cost to itself, then that's a good outcome for them, regardless of the humanitarian situation.

Of course, the concern is that by removing the taboo on intervention, Obama's made it that much harder to resist further steps once this doesn't stop the killing - especially with Susan Rice and Samantha Power on his "team".

EDIT:

Also, re: previous post. France is one of the most interventionist countries in the West. And the USSR hasn't been a thing for over twenty years.
Last edited by gabcd86 at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by gabcd86
A big point of the US getting involved is to attempt to reinforce the moderate groups against the Jabat Al-Nusras of the opposition. How far that'll work, IDK, doesn't seem massively likely they'll be able to keep tabs on where all their weapons end up - probably why they're not giving out SAMs and stuff.

Saw a very interesting post that sort of makes the Syria policy make sense.It suggests that the US really doesn't have any strategic interest in either side winning the war, but if it can prolong it, forcing Iran and Hezbollah to keep investing men and resources into it, at low cost to itself, then that's a good outcome for them, regardless of the humanitarian situation.

Of course, the concern is that by removing the taboo on intervention, Obama's made it that much harder to resist further steps once this doesn't stop the killing - especially with Susan Rice and Samantha Power on his "team".

EDIT:

Also, re: previous post. France is one of the most interventionist countries in the West. And the USSR hasn't been a thing for over twenty years.

This makes a great deal of sense. But in reality interfering with this conflict won't help the US in any way unless they just stick to selling arms. I think the goal is to weaken the area for further imperialism... the US doesn't take over countries however, just set up military bases.
Quote by Elderer
Russia will block no fly zone thing.

Do I sense, YET ANOTHER proxy war with the Russians?

Nah, just kidding that would be way too extreme. It would be pretty ****ed though.
Quote by bloodshed344

I respect you a lot Dreadnought, but I respect Ron Paul a lot more and agree with what he says on the subject pretty much 100%.

I think the goal is to weaken the area for further imperialism...
My word
Quote by bloodshed344

And what does Mr. Paul have to say?
My God, it's full of stars!