Since I've decided that buying a tube amp would be too much for me, I decided to go with a modeling processor.
I'm planning to buy a Line 6 Pod HD500, which, from the reviews, seems to be a very good choice for my situation. I have made some research and learned that the Line 6 Pod has a pre-amp in it and it just needs an external amplifier to create sound. I thought that buying a small active studio monitor would satisfy my needs, however the guy at the Guitar Center told me that I still need another pre-amp, and advised me on buying some kind of very small mixing board or whatever it is.
So I'm confused, does the Pod HD have an internal pre-amp in it, or not? Do I need to buy a pre-amp?

Otherwise, what would you suggest as a solution?
I need to have a sound source for jamming with band on which I could connect the processor.

All replies are welcome! (even those that escaped from the Pit)
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
You just need a power amp and speakers. You don't need another pre amp. That's dumb. Powered speakers will work. Some people use powered speakers, some get a power amp and cab. It's two methods of achieving the same thing.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The guy who told you that was an idiot. I would stay away from his advice in the future because he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

You can do what was mentioned above, or just go directly into your PC, depending on how you want to use it.

Is this strictly for home use or for gigs as well?
I think I would plug it directly into PA system when playing live, but I need a sound source loud enough for jamming along with drums and other instruments.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
I think I would plug it directly into PA system when playing live, but I need a sound source loud enough for jamming along with drums and other instruments.
All you need is a power amp and some speakers. Either guitar cabs or regular PA speakers, just make sure they can handle the load coming off the PA.

You can pick up a good slightly older Peavey power amp for pretty cheap used.
Some people use big keyboard amps for this purpose. You can usually get fairly high wattage decent sounding stuff for not much money. And it'll get you by for practices and such.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
That guy should've also sold you a micing setup so you can record yourself via the board...wow, typical GC moronics.

All you need is a powered speaker or a keyboard amp. Powered PA system might also work if you need the extra inputs for your jamming session. If you have studio monitors for your recording you can also use these. If that is the approach you want to take then you might need a mixer if you want to monitor with the PC output at the same time. Maybe that's what the GC sales guy meant.