Hi All,
I have a 2 part question and I hope I make sense in trying to ask.

Ok say I'm in the key of A maj.

I'm on the 5th fret playing an A maj chord. I know that right below I can play the D maj chord with the root on the A string (the 4) and a whole step over I can play the E maj on the 7th fret. (the 5)

First Question:
Ok so say I'm in the key of A minor. Would the 4th be the D min right below on the A string. Then the E minor a whole step over be the 5th?

Second question:
Now say I'm in the key of D min. Chord #1 (5th fret root on the A string).
Where is the closest 4? Is it the F chord 1st fret root on the E? The 5 is G on the 3rd fret?
Q-1.) Yes the 5th is E on A 7th fret.

q-2.)closest 4th to your root is G, 4th string 5th fret. I think you mean the 5th is C 5th string, 3rd fret.

Is this what you were looking for?

Major scale Interval formula -root, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step

Minor scale interval formula - R, W, H, W, W, H, W, W (this is natural minor)
Harmonic minor scale interval formula - R, W, H, W, W, H, 1 1/2, H (notice the step and a half)
Melodic minor scale formula - going up: R, W, H, W, W, W, W, H going down: R, W, W, H, W, W, H, W
thank you!
and yes I made a stupid mistake in the question.

i just bought that guitar wheel thing to help me with this stuff.
There were a lot of string and fret numbers in your first post. Maybe you should think about learning all the note names up and down the neck, so that you can communicate more easily. Also, you won't need to ask where the closest fifth or fourth is away from a note is. E is always the 5th of A, all over the neck. So if you know where those notes are, job already done.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Dm 5th fret A string

e|---|---|---|---|-A-|---|---|---|---|---|
b|---|---|---|---|---|-F-|---|---|---|---|
g|---|---|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|---|---|-A-|---|---|---|
A|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

G major (IV in key of D) for Gm make the B a Bb by moving just that note -1 fret.

e|---|---|---|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|
b|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|
g|---|---|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|
A|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

or

e|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
b|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
g|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|---|---|---|
A|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|
E|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|---|

or

(same as the above shape but using fewer strings)
e|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
b|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
g|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|---|---|---|
A|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

Slide them any of those G chord shapes up one whole tone (+2 frets) for an A chord which is the V chord in the key of D.
Si
Quote by ken styles
Hi All,
I have a 2 part question and I hope I make sense in trying to ask.

Ok say I'm in the key of A maj.

I'm on the 5th fret playing an A maj chord. I know that right below I can play the D maj chord with the root on the A string (the 4) and a whole step over I can play the E maj on the 7th fret. (the 5)

First Question:
Ok so say I'm in the key of A minor. Would the 4th be the D min right below on the A string. Then the E minor a whole step over be the 5th?

Second question:
Now say I'm in the key of D min. Chord #1 (5th fret root on the A string).
Where is the closest 4? Is it the F chord 1st fret root on the E? The 5 is G on the 3rd fret?

First question: Yes. Good job - or you can make that Em v into an E7 and then you have a progression that's also minor, but based around the A harmonic minor scale. Very common for a "minor" key.

Second question : Its Gm at the 3rd fret 6th string root the V is right above on the 5tt fret, Am or better yet, A7.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 18, 2013,
G triad on the 7th fret. G B E strings.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp