Do you wear earplugs or not at local shows? Do you wear them for big shows?
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I've gotten somewhat close speakers and the whole time I was just wishing I had remembered actually. But other than that, not really. I'm usually not in a spot where I hear more than I need to. But I can identify when it's too loud. I should know because I actually will do this when movies are too loud.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 18, 2013,
They can easily fit in your pocket, if you are concerned just bring them just in case.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
I really should. I already have a bit of tinnitus in my right ear.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Weaponized
no but I should

+1
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
You are ****ing moronic if you don't

inb4 hxc edgy teenagers
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
i made the mistake of going to a show without them once. i ended up right at the front and couldn't hear shit for the next week. never doing that again.

Always. The last thing I want/need is to lose my hearing. I already can't hear anything past 17Khz, and I've still got a lot of time left to live.

Trust me guys. You don't want a ruptured eardrum or tinnitus. It sucks.

Edit: Anything over 100dB or so will cause immediate damage. Sustained exposure to sounds of that volume or louder can cause hearing loss or complete deafness.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Jun 18, 2013,
No, partly because I forget to bring them.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Definitely. I wear earplugs to every gig and band practice. At least for most of you, some hearing loss won't stop you doing what you want to do. However, I want to be in the military so my hearing has to be good.
]
I don't wear em. I really should, especially since the last coheed show I saw left me deaf in my left ear for two days. I swear they weren't that loud the other times...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
I'm in school for live sound reinforcement and installation, so my ears have to be protected. I wear earplugs on the EL, as well as at concerts. Hell, I even plug my ears when anything with a siren blaring is driving down the street.

For everyone saying, "No, but I should," I'm glad you're intelligent enough to know better, but depressed that you're still stupid enough that you won't do anything about it. Assuming most of you are musicians, any amount of damage to your ears means loss of fidelity in your perceived sound. Which is fancy talk for, the music won't sound the way it's supposed to sound. Ever. Tinnitus is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of hearing disorders.
Spiral Out
Quote by HumanitysDeath
I'm in school for live sound reinforcement and installation, so my ears have to be protected. I wear earplugs on the EL, as well as at concerts. Hell, I even plug my ears when anything with a siren blaring is driving down the street.

For everyone saying, "No, but I should," I'm glad you're intelligent enough to know better, but depressed that you're still stupid enough that you won't do anything about it. Assuming most of you are musicians, any amount of damage to your ears means loss of fidelity in your perceived sound. Which is fancy talk for, the music won't sound the way it's supposed to sound. Ever. Tinnitus is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of hearing disorders.

Well, I also smoke, if that tells you anything.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
i don't always due to forgetfulness (because local shows are usually a spur-of-the-moment thing) but anytime i'm going to something major my friend got me into the habit of always making sure i have a 2-pack of aspirin and a set of earbuds when i check for my ticket before leaving.
modes are a social construct
Ear plugs if you're close. I had terrible tinnitus last year and I was terrified that I was going to have to live with that constant ringing for the rest of my life.

It more or less went away but it scared the shit out of me.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Nope, and I've been attending loud ass concerts regularly for the better part of 15 years.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yes. I do.

I've been to a good fair few shows without any ear protection. Then during Cage The Elephant the opening band was WAY too loud and I had Tinnitus for 3 days. It scared the living shit out of me. Since then I always wear ear protection. I don't give a **** if people give me strange looks.

Tinnitus is hell.
I'm 18, and due to not wearing Earplugs im already partially deaf in my left ear and I get a ringing that comes and goes (Dunno if tI was at when I was right next to the wall of amps that sit next to the stage, i ended up putting in my earphones to act as earplugs. The other contributing factor is when I was in school (Left 2 weeks ago) each year I would play bass for the music department and we did a Pipe Rock style piece (I live in Scotland so we do have lots of bagpipe suff at the school award ceremonies and stuff) and each year me and the bagpiper were that close and crammed into a corner that we could hug eachother without having to move, That hurt my ears when he started to practice, each year I'd forget my earplugs on the 1st couple of days and I went 4 years of this without earplugs, then in my 5th and 6th years of high school I eventually started bringing them for the main show for which I was ridiculed by lots of other folk in my school (Id rather be made fun of and protect my hearing over goin deaf) the music teachers thought I was right for a change
Never brought any. The ringing stops when you sleep. Never had any long term damage.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
All the time these days. Although sometimes you get annoying drunk people who pull them out of your ears like this one annoying drunk woman did to me during Rammstein's set at Download. I was about 4th row from the front too so I really needed them.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Then during Cage The Elephant the opening band was WAY too loud and I had Tinnitus for 3 days.

Was that on the last tour when Dinosaur Pileup (or something like that) opened for them? Saw them at the Forum in London, I was right up the front and do remember them being incredibly loud. Cage were super loud as well, too loud almost, I couldn't really make out what they were playing.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11
Was that on the last tour when Dinosaur Pileup (or something like that) opened for them? Saw them at the Forum in London, I was right up the front and do remember them being incredibly loud. Cage were super loud as well, too loud almost, I couldn't really make out what they were playing.

YES!

That's it. Saw them in Glasgow. I had to do a presentation in uni the next morning with my finger in my ear cuz the ringing was so obnoxious.
Sometimes I wish I would remember to put plugs in for the opening bands, so that I can hear the main act at their actual volume. But I never do...
Quote by Philip_pepper
YES!

That's it. Saw them in Glasgow. I had to do a presentation in uni the next morning with my finger in my ear cuz the ringing was so obnoxious.

Yeah my head was sore the next day. Would definitely go see them again though, and what with them being in the studio at the moment it shouldn't be too long.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I got custom ones made a while ago and I've started to actually wear them regularly... I tend to go to smaller shows and stay right at the front, so it can get REALLY loud.