Lobotomies. Eugenics experiments. Screams of the insane.

Asylums must have been happening places back in the day, but I recently discovered that they're a lot of fun to explore in. I went to the Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in New Jersey last summer, and this week I'm planning on checking out the Western State Lunatic Asylum in Virginia.

Any UGers visit cool abandoned sanatoriums and want to share? If anyone has any dirt on the Va facility (security issues, etc.) - that would be swell too.

I don't believe in ghosts, but we're bringing a Ouija board
“Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Cool. Stay in the asylum. Forever. Never leave.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by FranticPedantic
I don't believe in ghosts

Quote by FranticPedantic
but we're bringing a Ouija board

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 18, 2013,
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I always found mental wards more entertaining with the crazy people still in them. Sad when you're in there, hilarious to think back on when you're not.
Quote by Mephaphil

Its something to do, we're bringing tobacco cigarettes.

Abandoned asylums are cool places though, you can find some creepy shit. Gets me in the mood for metal
“Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Quote by willT08
Surely you're bringing jazz cigarettes?

I'll never tell, and don't call me Shirley.
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Quote by FranticPedantic

Abandoned asylums are cool places though, you can find some creepy shit. Gets me in the mood for metal

Yea of course they're creepy. But it's like saying that you're an atheist and going to visit a church and declaring beforehand that you're going to pray to that imaginary man who doesn't live in the sky.

You might as well bring buckeroo with you and see if that'll conjure anything.

If you believe in it, fine. But if you don't it's a completely pointless exercise.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by FranticPedantic

I hate you. Seriously, never leave.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

For what it's worth, the building I live in at Uni is a converted mental hospital. My room would have once housed many a mentalist
Quote by willT08
For what it's worth, the building I live in at Uni is a converted mental hospital. My room would have once housed many a mentalist

Still does...
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by FranticPedantic
I'll never tell, and don't call me Shirley.

Take pride in using a joke my 45 year old dad uses
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This is a picture of the one in Jersey, not my pic of course. We had to climb in through the second story window. The smell was putrid and the walls were decaying. There was this room filled with scribble all over the walls. Just letters, no particular order. Plus, I found a pamphlet about deinstitutionalization from the 80s which I took as a keepsake...caked with asbestos no doubt

Quote by Dempsey68
i feel you mean urbex (urban exploration)

www.28dayslater.co.uk would be a side you find useful TS

I'll check it out! Thanks
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Last edited by FranticPedantic at Jun 18, 2013,
Last online April 26 2009. Spooky...
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by FranticPedantic
Plus, I found a pamphlet about deinstitutionalization from the 80s which I took as a keepsake...caked with asbestos no doubts

Lick it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Mephaphil
Yea of course they're creepy. But it's like saying that you're an atheist and going to visit a church and declaring beforehand that you're going to pray to that imaginary man who doesn't live in the sky.

You might as well bring buckeroo with you and see if that'll conjure anything.

If you believe in it, fine. But if you don't it's a completely pointless exercise.

I have friends who delve into the superstition. I'm just along to check the place out.

Who knows, maybe we'll be the subject of the next Paranormal Activity. Oh lawd oh lawd do I want that to happen, I do declare
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Quote by FranticPedantic

Who knows, maybe we'll be the subject of the next Paranormal Activity. Oh lawd oh lawd do I want that to happen, I do declare

Paranormal Activity isn't real.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I, for one, welcome my new overlords
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
Quote by Mephaphil
Paranormal Activity isn't real.

Lets hope it is for their enjoyment
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Lets hope it is for their enjoyment

I've never had to tell someone who doesn't believe in ghosts that a ghost story, one that's a film with multiple prequels isn't real.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
I've never had to tell someone who doesn't believe in ghosts that a ghost story, one that's a film with multiple prequels isn't real.

The others are prequels???
- Frank Castle
Quote by Mephaphil

I never had to facepalm this hard, new doors are opening for everyone. Except asylum doors, because they're usually locked.
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
I believe in ghosts
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by cha33 armstrong
The others are prequels???

Yes!

Quote by FranticPedantic
I never had to facepalm this hard, new doors are opening for everyone. Except asylum doors, because they're usually locked.

How will you get in then?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

There are supposed to be some really creepy asylums in Finland too, I just hope I can visit. Any UGers from around the world partake?
― Charles Bukowski

Twitter if you want
You mean it's an actual thing?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I love watching those mocukmentary horror films about insane asylums. You said you visited Greystone Park, and I remember watching one that revolved around that on Netflix just the other night.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I wouldn't be scared of finding ghosts in abandoned houses/mental asylums, etc. but i would definitely be scared of finding a crazy meth head ready to bash my head in with a brick. I can imagine it to be like playing Condemned, but in real life.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.