Poll: Does rap have a negative impact on black youths?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does rap have a negative impact on black youths?
Yes
42 70%
No
11 18%
Don't know
7 12%
Voters: 60.
Page 1 of 3
I read this earlier on and thought it was interesting.

http://www.hiphopisread.com/2012/04/secret-meeting-that-changed-rap-music.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4mhxpaEmk&feature=youtu.be

The story given in the first link seems plausible (although a bit conspiracy theory in places).

Essentially, the question is this, do you think rap has a negative impact on black communities which results in higher rates if imprisonment?
I can see Rap and Hip Hop that glorifies gang activity and violence having a negative influence.

Rap in general? No way.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
yes

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by BladeSlinger
I can see Rap and Hip Hop that glorifies gang activity and violence having a negative influence.

Rap in general? No way.

I agree with this. Problem is, the most popular hip-hop and rap glorifies gang activity.
Quote by Horizontal
I agree with this. Problem is, the most popular hip-hop and rap glorifies gang activity.

Metal also glorifies violence and shit. I don't feel like Metal fans are more likely to flay someone alive than the next group. Blaming music is never the answer.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Metal also glorifies violence and shit. I don't feel like Metal fans are more likely to flay someone alive than the next group. Blaming music is never the answer.

This. Blame race instead.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Metal doesn't necessarily glorify violence in a real manner. Most of the time it's just parody and theater. A lot of rap is "serious" about experiences with drugs, violence, materialism, etc. You can't blame the music alone but it is definitely an agent in the whole culture that keeps perpetuating the same shit.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah, I'd definitely say it has an often negative impact.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Xiaoxi
Metal doesn't necessarily glorify violence in a real manner. Most of the time it's just parody and theater. A lot of rap is "serious" about experiences with drugs, violence, materialism, etc. You can't blame the music alone but it is definitely an agent in the whole culture that keeps perpetuating the same shit.

Then go after what gives them that experience. Rap appeals to many people because they identify with a lot of the themes. A lot of the themes are the problems that lead to gang activity. Racism, poverty, an unstable home life.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah, there's actually a pretty small amount of bands in mainstream Metal that talk about legitimate violence, and the ones that do are usually the laughing stock bands like Motionless In White or whatever who want to kick the shit out of anyone who doesn't wear eyeliner. A lot of Metal lyrics are pretty silly and nerdy, actually.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Then go after what gives them that experience. Rap appeals to many people because they identify with a lot of the themes. A lot of the themes are the problems that lead to gang activity. Racism, poverty, an unstable home life.

But the themes aren't merely stated, they're glorified, which is the whole issue. Again, it's a whole mix of things. Rap didn't start it. But it ain't helping either.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

especially now that nu-metal is dead, violent themes in popular metal seem to be on the decline. if anything it's lately just been screaming about how your ex girlfriend is a bitch.

Quote by Xiaoxi
But the themes aren't merely stated, they're glorified, which is the whole issue. Again, it's a whole mix of things. Rap didn't start it. But it ain't helping either.

^^
Most raps i hear is all about racks, sex, drugs, money, fame, and don't forget the most important one: LAMBO! XD
Quote by Xiaoxi

I can see your point.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

It's the "thug culture" that's the problem, and that culture is being glorified by the music.

You can't listen to something like this and say that it isn't glorifying that lifestyle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHaOul8gVVc
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Jesus, give some examples that aren't 20 years old if you're trying to make a point
We've already established that it glorifies the lifestyle.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by darkcheef
Jesus, give some examples that aren't 20 years old if you're trying to make a point

Just off the top of my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn-j-nNUpcs
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Just off the top of my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn-j-nNUpcs

And you see how popular that is right? Gangsta rap really isn't that popular right now, it's all about swag, talking about how you're god, and how you get high right now.
Last edited by darkcheef at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by darkcheef
And you see how popular that is right? Gangsta rap really isn't that popular right now, it's all about swag, talking about how you're god, and how you get high.

Not popular now, but that doesn't mean it didn't have an affect, and still does in subculture.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
Not popular now, but that doesn't mean it didn't have an affect, and still does in subculture.

It can't have an affect on the youth if barely anyone listens to it
Quote by snipelfritz
It's been doing the opposite for far longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

Grandmaster Flash isn't Gangsta Rap. Hell, it barely qualifies as hip-hop! It's more funk than anything.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by darkcheef
It can't have an affect on the youth if barely anyone listens to it

That's not true at all.

Look at all the wannabe gangbangers in the inner city - they still glorify that stuff.

I know because I live in the inner city and see that shit every single day.

The styles may have changed, but the mentality is the same.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
That's not true at all.

Look at all the wannabe gangbangers in the inner city - they still glorify that stuff.

I know because I live in the inner city and see that shit every single day.

The styles may have changed, but the mentality is the same.

That's true but acting like all rap glorifies gang lifestyle is silly
I really don't have enough experience past country people trying to act like inner city people.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by darkcheef
That's true but acting like all rap glorifies gang lifestyle is silly

I never said "all rap" does, nor has anyone else in this thread.

But when they are rapping about selling drugs, shooting people, buying off cops, and doing illegal shit... well, it's pretty obvious what they are doing.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, music is totally to blame for everything. Just like video games and movies.

There's a lot of rap that glorifies violence, but if inner-city kids (black, white, mexican, doesn't matter) have something better to do with their time than gang bang, then it'll just be music to them, not an anthem.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by stonyman65
I never said "all rap" does, nor has anyone else in this thread.

But when they are rapping about selling drugs, shooting people, buying off cops, and doing illegal shit... well, it's pretty obvious what they are doing.

I'm just going by what OP's poll and posts say, he just says rap instead of specifying
Quote by stonyman65
Grandmaster Flash isn't Gangsta Rap. Hell, it barely qualifies as hip-hop! It's more funk than anything.

Totes hip-hop bro. Totes rap. But not gangsta rap as was my point. Rap initially highlighted the struggles of living in "da str33tz" rather than glorifying them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFQzSJCs_ss

Or about empowering black youth in society.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDCYjb8RHk

Also yes, early hiphop came out of funk and electro funk sounds of P-Funk, Prince and others. Duh. There's a direct linneage between Off the Wall and Straight Outta Compton. No music comes completely from outer space. Except maybe Sun Ra
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jun 18, 2013,
I think it has less to do with gangsta rap and more to do with a culture in which a lot of people suffer and are forced into conditions that are far less than ideal. If you live in an area with a lot of gang activity, sure music might reinforce negatives ideas and the like, but it's honestly a bit silly to focus on that instead of what spawns these dire conditions. Putting blame on rap in any form is just a way of perpetuating racism. It's easy to say "oh this music is turning black youths into thugs" instead of admitting that there is still a very large racial issue in our society.

And a lot of gangsta rap is very tongue in cheek these days, and actually often satirical.
Quote by Skynyrd890
Yeah, music is totally to blame for everything. Just like video games and movies.

There's a lot of rap that glorifies violence, but if inner-city kids (black, white, mexican, doesn't matter) have something better to do with their time than gang bang, then it'll just be music to them, not an anthem.

No one is claiming rap is the sole reason for gang violence, just that it's a contributing factor to kids seeing it as cool

And video games, movies, music, ect can have negative effects on society. Obviously just because I play grand theft auto once in a while doesn't mean i'm going to go steal a car or shoot some cops, and it's that way for most people. However there are people who are more impressionable and for some reason don't have the ability to realise that despite being glorified in the game that violence isn't okay in real life.

If you want an example of music having a negative impact, look at the black metal fans that burned a bunch of five hundred year old churches in the EU.
I can never think of a good sig.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Rap in general? No way.

And this, folks, is how to properly answer the question.
The music is a reflection of what's happening, not the cause of it. Nobody's out buying a pistol lenging man in the street because Lil Wayne made it sound cool.
The music reflected life. Rap didn't create poverty, illegitimate economic opportunities, etc.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
did that article just sound really fake to you guys too? The unwillingness to name names and a few other details just make the whole thing sound really implausible to me.

EDIT: see the above post? +1 to that shizz

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Last edited by an epic mistake at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by willT08
The music is a reflection of what's happening, not the cause of it. Nobody's out buying a pistol lenging man in the street because Lil Wayne made it sound cool.

That.

Also "lenging man" is brilliant.
Page 1 of 3