Hi.
Im new to all this so i dont know much guitar lingo. I have a really cheap basic starter guitar but which looks like a strat but isn't (its an encore starter pack guitar) and really want to customise it to make it sound "better" i play music from artists such as biffy clryro, foo fighters. That kinda stuff so i am sumtimes tuning to drop d and drop c. I am browsing the web to find a new set of single coil pickups but theres so many to choose from. I need something affordable but with alot of sustain and high gain. As i said earlier i am a beginer but would like to customise what i already have rather than buy a new guitar. I have purchased gauge 11 strings but dont want put them on before i get new pickups. Im just looking for abit of advice on what to choose thanks.
Do you find yourself using the bridge pickup most often? If so, I'd put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in there. But what amp you using? The amp is a much bigger impact on the tone than the pickups are, and it's definitely worth saving up for an amp than buying pickups now.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by mmolteratx
What amp do you have?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a peavey vyper 15W modeling amplifier? What amp would you recomend as i only play at home? Thanks for the replies
agreed.

that being said, your amp is actually pretty nice and the guitar might be the weak link there. so that'd be worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree. i think it is the guitar thats the weak link but i really like playing it and it feels great but is there any hardware i could change on the guitar to make it sound better?
Quote by B1G T0NY
I agree. i think it is the guitar thats the weak link but i really like playing it and it feels great but is there any hardware i could change on the guitar to make it sound better?

For the price of decent pickups, you could almost pay for a better guitar.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by B1G T0NY

i suppose you could put a better trem on it with a steel block. wilkinson does a fairly cheap one at around £25 or so, i think. whether it's a direct swap for your guitar, though, i dunno. http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html variety of ones there if you scroll down, the ones with "SB" (stands for steel block) in the product codename. EDIT: the prices seem to have gone up Though that might be list price, maybe you can get them cheaper in shops.

I guess some of the cheaper pickups companies like entwistle, axesrus own brand and irongear might be worth a try. as bladeslinger says you want to be careful that you don't put more into the guitar than it's worth, but if you like how it plays and it has sentimental value (i.e. you'll never sell) you might as well upgrade it at least a bit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 20, 2013,
Guitar Fetish has trem blocks. Can't speak for their quality. They also sell pickguards with pickups installed. Should be a decent upgrade for that guitar and they're like $50 I think.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Guitar Fetish has trem blocks. Can't speak for their quality. They also sell pickguards with pickups installed. Should be a decent upgrade for that guitar and they're like $50 I think.

i was considering one a while. i started a thread and only got two or three responses, and one person said that it wasn't worth it and he put his MIM strat origional back on, the other two were asking questions.

you want a heavy block. i would look elsewhere.

allparts???
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you want to stay with a single coil sound but something really hot like a P90, go for a Seymour Duncan Quarted Pounders. Great sounding pups, I use them in my slide guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What ur more than likely seeking for a "high gain" pickup in that guitar is a high output "single coil sized humbucker", which is actually a dual coil pickup made to fit in the single coil sized slot on ur guitar. This will give u the beefier sound ur seeking, plus eliminate the annoying buzz & hum ur current pickup probably produces when ur amp is set to heavily distorted tones. Seymour Duncan Hot Rails (suggested above) is exactly this type of pickup. There are lots of others out there tho & maybe even less $$$. Just make sure u know how to solder well or get them professionally installed. "single coil sized humbuckers" are the product u would search for tho...
And yes, that Vypyr is a great lil amp for around the house. U can get virtually ANY type of tone out of it if u learn how to dial it in, adjust fx parameters, save ur own presets, etc...
Last edited by xwolfengeistx at Jun 25, 2013,