I want to get an amp that can bring out the heavy sustaining distortion sounds and still work with with some cleans (with the help of footpedals).. i like iron maiden, alice in chains, metallica, etc etc, and im a fan of grunge. i was wondering what would be a good head+cab halfstack..

i'm not trying to spend a rediculous amount of money and i want amps worth the value.
Amps like the Fender Mustang and Line 4 amps that have a bunch of on-board effects are cool and all. I heard Blackstar and Jet City amps would be great for what I need. But I don't know what to choose.
I'm looking for good value and sound. Help is needed! please and thank you
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
I got a great metal sound from my Egnator Tweaker. Has a lot of tone options, does everything from a decent Vox AC30 to a modern Mesa type sound without modeling.
Stuck a Metal Muff in front and I got super gainy thrash sounds out of it.
Nice clean sounds too. Seems to take pedals pretty good.
yeah jet city would be the thing on a budget. not amazing cleans or amazing amounts of headroom, but decent-sounding cleans and really good sustaining high gain lead tones.

depends on where you are, of course, as hydraone says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Budget? - about $600-$750, this doesn't mean I need to spend that, I just want a good middle priced amp that

Genres? - I need cleans and distortion. I wanna switch on and off with pedal. favorite guitarists are Eddie Van Halen, Adrian Smith, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammet & James, Dave Mustaine, Jerry Cantrell

New or Used? - Preferabbly new because it's hard to find used amps that will ship isn't it?

Home or Gig? - not gigging yet, but if needed, I'd like to already have the equipment. I would be jamming w/ a drummer though so no PA needed yet

Closest City? - Augusta, GA

Current Gear? - nothing atm, just sold a Epi Les Paul because I'm getting a new axe
Quote by zach.vidal.98
Budget? - about $600-$750, this doesn't mean I need to spend that, I just want a good middle priced amp that

Genres? - I need cleans and distortion. I wanna switch on and off with pedal. favorite guitarists are Eddie Van Halen, Adrian Smith, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammet & James, Dave Mustaine, Jerry Cantrell

New or Used? - Preferabbly new because it's hard to find used amps that will ship isn't it?

Home or Gig? - not gigging yet, but if needed, I'd like to already have the equipment. I would be jamming w/ a drummer though so no PA needed yet

Closest City? - Augusta, GA

Current Gear? - nothing atm, just sold a Epi Les Paul because I'm getting a new axe

Check out the Peavy 6505+112 combo tube amp, it's great but you may need a chorus pedal for cleans if you want a metallica like clean sound. because the clean channel doesn't really have a fender or vox character to it, don't get me wrong though it still sounds great though. But it has real spring reverb, I'd say that it's the best metal tube amp for the price. And it's based on EVH's 5150 (all Peavy did was change the name when Eddie stopped being sponsored by them), I've gotten EVH tones on a cheap strat knock-off with this thing!!!!

It excels at thrash so mustaine and metallica won't be a problem, and if you do decide to gig in the future you won't need a better amp (this thing can get loud).
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
go here the prices are really good and shipping is super cheap www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

They have a Peavey Ultra 60 head (this is what became the JSX/XXX line) for $249 and get a good cab with the rest.

There is a bunch of Marshall 1960 4x12 cabs for $350 on there also.

And if you ship to your local Guitar Center the shipping is free just so you know.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly and Kernal Klutch, thank you two so much for the advice! you two have given me the best advice I've been searching for on here for amps. You guys are life savers seriously! Kernal Klutch you nailed it with the Metallica clean channel w/ chorus pedal tip. I'm definitely going to look into used stuff now that I can get it shipped also TYSM!
that amp I pointed out has a footswitch and new tubes. It is a really good sounding amp and can hang in any band set up

They also have Line 6 Spider valve 4x12 cabs for $300-$400 normally and those cabs have V30's which work good with the Ultra heads, if the Marshall is not your style. Hell you may get a Mesa 4x12 for $400 on there also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ohh and i got another question if i may ask.

In Disposable Heroes, at 15 seconds into the song, that sound is called Flanger right?

I'm gonna definitely get the chorus pedal, but I wanna throw a Distortion pedal (obviously), a Wah Wah and that flanger in on the pedal board. And most likely overdrive the distortion. And the reverb and delay and EQ pedals. Does this sound about right or am I missing anything important or over doing it on the pedals?
Get a Ibanez tube screamer OD pedal or the Hardwire CM-2. Use it as a clean boost and it will drive the dirty channels really nice. these are $40ish used

I like Morley wah's personally. I have the Bad Horsie 2 which is 2 wahs in one. it has a classic wah setting and a contor wah setting $65ish used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by zach.vidal.98
ohh and i got another question if i may ask.

In Disposable Heroes, at 15 seconds into the song, that sound is called Flanger right?

I'm gonna definitely get the chorus pedal, but I wanna throw a Distortion pedal (obviously), a Wah Wah and that flanger in on the pedal board. And most likely overdrive the distortion. And the reverb and delay and EQ pedals. Does this sound about right or am I missing anything important or over doing it on the pedals?

For Disposable Heroes, I think that's Wah, swelled slowly on each chord, the tab book I have confirms that too, Flanger would be the main riff in Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast", or the open notes in the intro to Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell", or the power chord intro to RATM's "Killing in the Name" or the riff in "Wake Up", or the main riff in Tool's "46 & 2", and Rush's "The Spirit of Radio".

The solo to "My Apocalypse" has flanger in it, that's the only Metallica song I can think of with flanger, even though the tab book says the leads in "Fade to Black" have it but they sound better with chorus imo.

But If you wan't to get serious with effects, definitely go with individual stomp boxes, the combinational possibilities will pay off in the long run, just build your rig slow, that's the key, it's better to save up for the effect you really want than getting something to hold you over.

If you're a big Kirk fan his Signature Wah by Dunlop, it's a little pricey, but it is a must have, imo the only signature Wah that Dunlop should have ever made besides Hendrix and maybe Cantrell.
It's great for a metal wah sound, (not too shrill, like the regular crybaby can be, it's got a real nice mid range sweep, I've used it for the "Number of the Beast" solo and it sounded great as well as KK's solo in Priest's "Beyond The Realms of Death", and it nails "Enter Sandman" of course.)

As for EQ, the Boss GE-7 is perfect. (It's indestructible, like all boss pedals, and I like that the slide pots, have a groove in them at the 0 level so it's easy to get back to zero unlike on cheap EQ's I've seen.)

And of course the Tube Screamer. (I wish I had one)

If you like EVH a phaser is also something cool to have, and the orange MXR one is pretty cheap, (like 80 or 90 I think, IDK I got a discount on mine cause it was the floor model, get the Script Logo though it's more subtle than the Block logo one, it's got the classic EVH "Eruption" tapping part, and "Atomic Punk scratch sound, and it makes leads sound badass.)

If you want a fuzz pedal the only non boutique or custom one I like is the EXH Big-Muff Pi.

Another fun pedal is the Digitech Whammy, I haven't used the newest one yet but it should be great since they made it True-Bypass and the power supply is DC now. (the old version literally killed tone.)

Another thing to look into when buying pedals is weather or not they are true-bypass (a quick google search will probably tell you), true-bypass makes it that the pedal has no effect on your signal when off, so you won't get any tone loss and other effects on things after it in the signal chain.

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Jun 18, 2013,
^ true bypass affects your bypass tone if you're using long cables.

also i thought a lot of the signature wah pedals were pretty similar and pretty much a marketing scheme. don't quote me on that, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ true bypass affects your bypass tone if you're using long cables.

also i thought a lot of the signature wah pedals were pretty similar and pretty much a marketing scheme. don't quote me on that, though.

quality of cable also affects it, aka never buy cables from best buy, unless you like hum.

once again you came to the rescue Kernal Klutch. I really appreciate the extra advice, when you really didn't have to. But that cleared up so much, and will definitely save me a lot of time and money on pedals. & I might go with the Peavey Ultra 60. Combos cant be extended can they? I mean i know they can, but doesn't the Combo then act as a head, instead of having both speakers, or am i wrong? I really don't know. Right now I'm deciding between the two
This is my current gigging rig. All 6 speakers are being used. To get the power equally distributed I had to wire up the speakers in the combo in such a way that it can no longer function as a stand alone unit (I wired the speakers in series so they are 32 ohm with the 4x12 running at 16 ohms - so 10 ohms total) but it works mighty fine as a 3/4 stack.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly

And if you ship to your local Guitar Center the shipping is free just so you know.

Just a heads up, this might be a regional thing because this has never been the case for me, I've asked on multiple occasions.

Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
quality of cable also affects it, aka never buy cables from best buy, unless you like hum.

Pretty sure Best Buy sells the same brands Guitar Center sells...

Anyway, your post is screaming Marshall DSL to me... if you want to take a chance with the new DSL40C. A lot of people don't like them.

A Peavey Ultra Plus would be a good choice, possibly a Peavey VTM. I don't have enough experience with them to know how much gainer they are than a JCM800.

A XXX/JSX could possibly work... I feel like they're too modern for what you're looking for though.

A Jet City JCA5012 might not be a bad choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How about that Peavey Ultra 60? That's not too bad is it? I'm so glad I narrowed the choices down of so many amps, and now I know what I'm looking for.

I heard Blackstar wasn't bad either

But anyways, I am definitely looking for used, now that I realized the good amps I can get for the price.

I do plan on playing different styles, I should probably add that.

One I had in mind was switching up cleans & distortion, for example, Fade to Black.

Another style could be all cleans, and another could just be straight thrash, or jamming like Zeppelin (that's the best way I could describe it because it makes me feel in a good mood.) I do listen to Alternative/Grunge as well, growing up in the 90s. So I like to play a variety of songs to keep it dynamic and fun and express myself in different ways. It's understandable. Basically, t this point, I'm not stuck on thrash metal solely. My unique sound will be dynamic and I know it already. So I wanna make sure the amp I get can incorporate this into my ideas.
Quote by zach.vidal.98
Basically, t this point, I'm not stuck on thrash metal solely.

Basically, this is my point*
Get the Jet City. It'll do what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Peavey Ultra is a very versatile amp. It has a nice clean channe and a nice distortion channel that has a boost function that acts like a quasi 3rd channel. It really is a fantastic amp

The Jet City would work, also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate