Does anyone know how you indicate a half palm mute in tablature? I know that a full mute is just an x, but I was wondering if there was a way to indicate a note that is to be only partially muted.

Thanks in advance.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
create your own symbol for it and just write its meaning at the beginning?
Quote by Reages
create your own symbol for it and just write its meaning at the beginning?

Yep, that's exactly what I did, but I was just wondering if there was anything "official", which I'm suspecting there probably is not.
Line 6 Amplifiers

WEBSITE
I wish there was one standardized, for example when you do those fast semi muted powerchords/etc in riffs. I think most understand it as tabbed, but I've several complaints.
Quote by fanapathy
I wish there was one standardized, for example when you do those fast semi muted powerchords/etc in riffs. I think most understand it as tabbed, but I've several complaints.

Yeah I agree. I think there are a lot of musical aspects that could be standardized and indicated on tabs that just haven't been.
Line 6 Amplifiers

WEBSITE
most people just write P.M.

for the record, there's no such thing as a "half-palm mute". there's a mute, then there's a palm mute. one has a deadening effect, one has a compression effect.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
most people just write P.M.

for the record, there's no such thing as a "half-palm mute". there's a mute, then there's a palm mute. one has a deadening effect, one has a compression effect.

What I mean is a palm mute with less pressure and/or that is farther from the bridge, it's less accentuated than the typical mute technique used while pedaling for example and gives a different sound/effect. We could possibly use ppp-fff to distinguish, but that wouldn't technically be right. The X would mean ("dead") notes that aren't fretted or otherwise muted with left.
Last edited by fanapathy at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by fanapathy
We could possibly use ppp-fff to distinguish, but that wouldn't technically be right.

I don't quite see why you would need to be that specific with tablature. It's either palm-muted, or it isn't; is hand-holding to the point of expressing just how much muting to apply really neccessary?

Quote by Hail
one has a compression effect.

If anything it's the opposite.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
hit "P" on the note you wanted palm muted
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ziphoblat

If anything it's the opposite.

yeah, that was probably a bad word, but there is a certain "squishiness" to palm muted chords that reminds me of compression.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by fanapathy
What I mean is a palm mute with less pressure and/or that is farther from the bridge, it's less accentuated than the typical mute technique used while pedaling for example and gives a different sound/effect.

Err...what? You can't listen a song and tell whether it's further from the bridge? As for less pressure...no, same pressure really, just picked faster.