So lately I've been dabbling in the realm of self-recording music on my electric. Previously, I've been mic'ing my amplifier and just recording through that. However, I've been interested in investigating direct input methods. Basically what I was wondering is - what do I need in order to record direct input? I have a mixing board and plenty of XLR cables. Are there additional cables that I would need in order to hook the mixing board right into my laptop to begin recording? Or to hook my laptop into the mixing board? Basically, I know nothing about direct input recording and I'd like to give it a try.

tl;dr - if anyone could give me a very basic breakdown on how to begin recording an electric guitar direct input style, I'd be hugely appreciative.

Thanks!
Last edited by onefivetwo at Jun 18, 2013,
You have two options.

1. Buy an Audio Interface (USB or Firewire) with a 1/4" jack instrument input. Hook the interface up to your computer, plug your guitar in, route the track, and robert's your mother's brother.

2. Buy a DI box. This will require either phantom power (48v) or a battery to run. Assuming your desk gives phantom power, which is highly likely, that would be the best bet. Plug the guitar into the DI box input with a jack, and take an XLR output feed into your mixer. Bingo.

A DI box is more than likely going to be a cheaper option, and you have the bonus of being able to easily link the signal with a second output from the DI box into your amp, so that you can record the raw output of your guitar and the amp'd tone simultaneously. Using an audio interface is a lot quicker and less cumbersome, however (at least once you've got it set up and got the drivers configured etc).
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
2. Buy a DI box. This will require either phantom power (48v) or a battery to run.

Passive DI Boxes don't require batteries.

Just buy an interface and bypass the mixer all together
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp