Hello, fellow ultimate-guitar.com members!

I'm in search of a (cheap, I hope) good sounding amp to play djent, mostly.
I'd skip the Axe-FX for I like the idea and convenience of having an actual amp,
but if you think that's the best I can get, tell it to me anyway and I'll think about that again.

I heard a lot of good things about ENGL, but they're pretty expensive.
Is there some "inspired/(copied) by" amp? Like the Bugera Trirec for the Dual Rectifier.

Budget? - I am not planning to buy this amp right now, I want to have a look at the possibilities instead.
So let's go for what sounds good, whatever the price.

Genres? - Djent! And high gain metal in general. Clean stuff also, but the Djent thing is more important. I don't care about JCM800-like distortion.

New or Used? - The cheaper the better, so used will be perfectly fine.

Home or Gig? - Both home and gig, but mostly home.

Closest City? - Milan, Italy.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You probably want something with a really tight sound. Generic recommendation of Peavey 6505+/5150ii with a tubescreamer OD in front and an EQ pedal in the loop.

Do bare in mind that "djent" is a tone made from the way a guitar string is hit, and how it's processed by the guitar amp (which is where the EQ pedal can come in real handy). You have to have an incredibly tight picking technique. A Noise Gate pedal would also be great. Something like the NS-2 with the 4-cable method to get rid of all unwanted noise.

For your clean stuff, the 6505+ probably isn't recommended but if it's not anywhere near as important as your high gain tone, you'll make do.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I think the ENGL/German EQ shape has the best high-mids voicing for djent, but they are expensive.

A 6505 could work, and I'll throw in a mention of the EVH 5150III, (which I think is better in every way) but for the DSP route you could get a Line 6 POD HD500 or an Avid Eleven Rack as a step before upgrading to an Axe FX. I don't see what's "convenient" about having an actual amp; I find it more convenient to have 91 amps in a box that's smaller than most any amp.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Misha from Periphery sometimes uses an EVH 5150 iii without pedals or effects

http://youtu.be/piLW0NATxtM
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Last edited by Minimallamb at Jun 18, 2013,
If you don't want to spend a lot, then definitely look at some modelers.

A Line 6 Vetta/Vetta II would be a great option. A Peavey Vypyr Tube would also be good. Anything with an SS preamp will have that unnatural tightness and low noise levels that are excellent for djent. I can get a great djent tone out of my Vypyr Tube 120H.

Bonus, you don't have to worry about pedals. Just get the respective foot controller, a Shorboard or a Sanpera II.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I saw the band Decapitated a week or so ago, and while they're more of a traditional technical-death metal band, some of their newer stuff ventures into "djent" territory tone-wise. The guitarist (Vogg, I think) was using a pair of 5150 IIIs, which, I might add, did a good job of getting their newer sound and the older, more brutal death metal tone.

I never liked the 5150 III when I tried it -- but after seeing Decapitated I'd like to take another look at one.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ Was it the 100W, or the Mini?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^I tried the 100 watt halfstack, which is what Decapitated was using. When I tried one, it just didn't seem to have the balls that a 6505 or Dual Rec has. But after seeing that band, I know that is definitely not the case. Granted, I tried one without any pedals or my own guitar, and didn't spend much time dialing it in. It's definitely not like a Peavey 5150/6505 where you just turn it on and no matter what the settings it's ready to slay...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Misha from Periphery says the 5150III is a beast amp, he's used it in videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piLW0NATxtM

If it doesn't work too well for you, try out a Peavey Ultra Plus 120. Very djenty IMO.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
/facepalm. i'm not the smartest.

ANYHOW. try out a peavey ultra plus then, I have one and it djents like a mother****er.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
If you want to be old-school, the Crate GX130, Ampeg VH140, and Randall Warhead are great. Cheap too.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
RG100ES they can cut it. i almost bought another one today. i have owned two and sold both. and ironically one i used to own (exact one) was for sale at a small local shop. i paid less than the person probably got. but he had two one for $75 (the identical one) and $100 for the nicer one. they do a lot more than just the dime sound.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
More often, Misha's probably using the 5150 emulation on his Axe FX anyway.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB