Hello!

I recently bought a Gibson SG bass guitar (short scale) and I am looking for new strings. I think overall it is an amazing and gorgeous bass guitar, however the E string does not "pop out" as it does on my Fender Precision. In other words, it does not command authority as it does on my long scale Fender P-bass.

I would like to get opinions and feedback from my fellow low-end brethren.

Cheers!

Dennis P.
Short scale bass guitars don’t sound like 34" bass guitars. You can’t really do much to make up for 3.5" of neck not being there. That’s why they aren’t very popular.
Short scale basses tend to sound darker/thumpier than 34", usually. I find that a lot of short scale basses I come across have flatwound strings on them, to push that thumpy tone to 11.

Maybe try some new strings, a bit thicker than your Precision would have. Nickel played, or full steel strings would pump some brightness and pop into your bass
Quote by jpnyc
Short scale bass guitars don’t sound like 34" bass guitars. You can’t really do much to make up for 3.5" of neck not being there. That’s why they aren’t very popular.

Exactly.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Short scale basses tend to sound darker/thumpier than 34", usually. I find that a lot of short scale basses I come across have flatwound strings on them, to push that thumpy tone to 11.

Maybe try some new strings, a bit thicker than your Precision would have. Nickel played, or full steel strings would pump some brightness and pop into your bass

Thanks for your insight. I've noticed a lot of forums in regards to this topic, flat wounds are the most popular on short-scale bass guitar. It will be something I might look into. Possibly some Rotosounds or Pyramids.