meh
16 24%
terrible
1 1%
I love this movie as much as I hate CoreysMonster
9 13%
Voters: 67.
Page 1 of 3

So now that some time has passed, I assume quite a few of you have seen this movie. It's was marketed as being a Disney movie about video games, and you could almost hear the collective groan through the internet as they heard that claim.

"Disney has no fricken clue about video games" seemed to be the general consensus, with a very vocal portion decrying those claims, saying the movie was going to be brilliant, praising Disney for trying to make an animated movie about video games.

I was firmly seated in the former party; Disney can't even make a good animated movie about fairy tales anymore, how could they possibly achieve what literally NOONE has ever done, namely make a good movie about video games?

And then I heard the cast... ****ing John C Reilly and Sarah Silverman, the most annoying female comedian around? No way. No way was this movie ever going to be anything short of terrible, horrible and laughable.

I smugly sat in my seat as I began to watch it.

Long story short, I watched it, loved it, and proceeded to eat my hat.

What did you think of Wreck it Ralph?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 18, 2013,
Still haven't seen it, but I want to. I'll have to steal some Netflix time from my sister.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Yeah, it was alright.

Also:
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Not only was it super enjoyable, Disney didn't saturate it in shitty gender roles like usual.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It was good. Somewhere between meh and awesome, so there's not really a voting option..

I couldn't stand Sarah Silverman's character (which is strange because I actually don't mind her as a comedian), this sounds weird but her voice is almost too annoying to be a little girl. It's like that annoying bitch we all dated for a few days before correcting the issue. Although, I did find her character concept to be pretty cool, I definitely wasn't expecting Disney to know anything about glitches.

Overall I thought the plot and characters were very charming, though. I wish the movie could have taken place in more video game "worlds", but I won't complain because they definitely spent time fleshing out the ones that are there.

Not a ton of ACTUAL video game references, there are a lot of gamer inside jokes but not a lot of characters and worlds actually make it into the movie, which is kind of a good thing in my opinion. I wouldn't just want the movie to be "OH LOOK IT'S MARIO" just for Mario to be in the movie. If you catch my drift.

So I definitely had some problems with it, but overall a decent movie with good characters and plot. I honestly did not see the plot twist coming, but I rarely see those things coming anyway
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Jun 18, 2013,
Didn't even know what it was about before I watched it and enjoyed it very much.
I wanted to see it so bad. Never did
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by BladeSlinger
Not only was it super enjoyable, Disney didn't saturate it in shitty gender roles like usual.

Definitely. I really liked how the majority of the film took place in this "girly" kinda game, but that the first time you saw the game was two nerd guys blocking the thing for the whole day

Quote by BledGhostWhite
I wanted to see it so bad. Never did

What's stopping you?
I watched in theatres, wasn't as good as I expected but I mostly enjoyed it. And I don't like sarah silverstein either, but her character was ok
Quote by CoreysMonster
What's stopping you?

No netflix, and laziness also.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Still haven't seen it. Probably should since I've heard really great things about it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I voted 'meh'. It's not a bad film by any means but it is very generic, predictable, etc. The same film has been done millions of times in different ways, and there wasn't one particular aspect that stood out.

I had to watch it and write a review when my journalism teacher ran out of things to teach. I think I gave it a 6/10.
Pretty good
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by CoreysMonster
Definitely. I really liked how the majority of the film took place in this "girly" kinda game, but that the first time you saw the game was two nerd guys blocking the thing for the whole day

What's stopping you?

The thing I liked the most is that she didn't give a shit about being a princess. That didn't become her identity like all the other female Disney characters.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger
The thing I liked the most
is that she didn't give a shit about being a princess. That didn't become her identity like all the other female Disney characters.

Dude, spoiler tags. And I agree.
Quote by slipknot5678
I voted 'meh'. It's not a bad film by any means but it is very generic, predictable, etc. The same film has been done millions of times in different ways, and there wasn't one particular aspect that stood out.

I had to watch it and write a review when my journalism teacher ran out of things to teach. I think I gave it a 6/10.

the setting didn't stand out?
Quote by CoreysMonster

only by pointing out that that could be a spoiler does that become a spoiler
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
only by pointing out that that could be a spoiler does that become a spoiler

And now it's all tagged and thus not spoilered.

Success!
Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by CoreysMonster
I was firmly seated in the former party; Disney can't even make a good animated movie about fairy tales anymore, how could they possibly achieve what literally NOONE has ever done, namely make a good movie about video games?

I just saw this, wanted to comment on it.

Making a movie out of a specific game or franchise is much more challenging than what Disney did. It seems like the production team of the movies have a lot of difficulty finding the happy medium between following the game way too closely or going off in a completely different direction. So, combine that with terrible script-writing and low budgets and you get bad movies.

What Disney did was just say: "Okay... video games. GO." and wrote original characters and stories, using video games mostly just as the setting and part of the story, not the be all end all.

If this movie was about Bowser deciding he wants to be a good guy and Mario and Master Chief have to go convince him otherwise while saving the world of Diddy Kong Racing from King DeDeDe and Buzzy Beetles, this would probably be the dumbest movie ever.
Quote by Weaponized
the setting didn't stand out?

No not really.

I understand how people enjoyed it. My criticism is more of a 'it's not for me' thing, not 'this movie sux'.
I really enjoyed it.
Typical Disney.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Rockford_rocks
I just saw this, wanted to comment on it.

Making a movie out of a specific game or franchise is much more challenging than what Disney did. It seems like the production team of the movies have a lot of difficulty finding the happy medium between following the game way too closely or going off in a completely different direction. So, combine that with terrible script-writing and low budgets and you get bad movies.

What Disney did was just say: "Okay... video games. GO." and wrote original characters and stories, using video games mostly just as the setting and part of the story, not the be all end all.

If this movie was about Bowser deciding he wants to be a good guy and Mario and Master Chief have to go convince him otherwise while saving the world of Diddy Kong Racing from King DeDeDe and Buzzy Beetles, this would probably be the dumbest movie ever.

Yeah, but Disney made a conscious decision to not make it about that. It made it about characters that just happen to be in video games. Thus, the movie is sorta about video games, but not about a specific series - and actually, at its core, not even really about video games as much as the characters.

I completely agree, that's why the movie works. Had Disney tried to make a Zelda or Mario movie, it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

Still, this is the best thing we've gotten so far as a movie that concerns itself with video games as a medium, and it's shown us a very important lesson: When making movies about video games, you can't forget that movies are still always about the characters.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
It was good, but a whole thread for it? And half a year late?

Yes. Half a year after release is always the best time to talk about movies.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yeah, but Disney made a conscious decision to not make it about that. It made it about characters that just happen to be in video games. Thus, the movie is sorta about video games, but not about a specific series - and actually, at its core, not even really about video games as much as the characters.

I completely agree, that's why the movie works. Had Disney tried to make a Zelda or Mario movie, it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

Still, this is the best thing we've gotten so far as a movie that concerns itself with video games as a medium, and it's shown us a very important lesson: When making movies about video games, you can't forget that movies are still always about the characters.

Agreed, all you have to do is change around a few aspects and the movie really could be about anything.
It was pretty good. Not my favorite Disney movie (favorites are Fox And The Hound and Emperor's New Groove) but it was pretty good.
Really, really hated the trailer the couple of times I caught it in the cinema, so was surprised to see how well-received it was. Probably won't ever get round to seeing it, but it remains a source of eternal mystery and bafflement to me.
Page 1 of 3