Page 1 of 2
My mom was feeling nauseous from her chemotherapy for a few days. It was so bad that we decided to go the doctor to see what he could prescribe her. The stuff she had before wasn't working.

So we went to the GP yesterday, got 2 new prescriptions for different drugs, went to the pharmacy. We got the meds. Went home. My mom took the pills. Nothing special there.

My mom was feeling even WORSE this morning, even more nauseous with stomach upset. However, she had to go to the hospital because she had an appointment for her last of 18 chemo infusions. When we got there she was feeling so bad, she decided she didn't want her last infusion, and the doctor allowed her to go home.

Later we arrive at home. I'm chillin'. There's a knock on the door, I answer, there's a guy who gives me a bottle with pills for my mom, and he turns around and leaves without saying a word. He was the pharmacy delivery dude.

So at this point I'm like "Wut"

I talk to my mom about it, and she looks at the pills, the bottle has her name on it and everything. She then looks at one of the bottles she got the day before and it's got someone else's name on it.

My mom goes on the internet to research those mystery pills that she took the night before...and it's a sort of anti-biotic that has been banned in the US since 1986 and banned in the EU.

Says on the NHS website that it should NOT be used by most people. That is should NOT be mixed with other medicine. That is has been known to cause hepatitis, liver problems, etc, and other symptoms such as nausea and stomach problems.

Obviously, the pharmacy has ****ed up one a few accounts.

1. They gave my mom (who has just gone through chemo no less) the wrong medicine. Medicine which has been banned in countries outside of the UK.

2. They didn't call to apologize for the mix up. They had the delivery guy show up to give the pills without addressing to stop the use of the pills we were wrongly given. No phone call, nothing.

3. They should have alerted her GP.

We're gonna go back tomorrow and confront them about it.
Also going to call the council of pharmacists and tell them what happened which means they'll have to go to the pharmacy, investigate what happened and review the pharmacy.

Has anyone on here experienced something like this before? I've never, ever had a mix up with medicine from pharmacies before and I reckon it's some sort of grievous mistake to give someone the wrong pills.

I'm pretty pissed about this because she was feeling so bad that she didn't want to take her last infusion, which she thought would make her feel even ill. I'm pissed of the way they've weirdly "sneaked in" the right pills, completely ignoring the ones they falsely gave.

Is this enough to threaten them with a lawyer's letter? This isn't exactly America, but I think they take this sort of shit pretty seriously and I reckon it would fall under clinical negligence.
"He was the pharmacy delivery dude."

I'm about to shatter your innocence bro;

that dude was your mom's dealer.
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Yes.

edit: the pharmacy will prob try and blame it on your GP though, they usually do when they make mistakes.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Wow. That's awful, man. I hope those pill don't add any complications.

I don't know much about the legal system outside of the US, but my god you should sue the shit out of them.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jetfuel495
If the pills had someone else's name on it, that's a major **** up. Depending on what drug it was, you could totally sue for that in America.

You might have something going for you, unless they pull some "should have checked the label before taking it" stuff.

If they pull the "Shoulda checked the label" card we pull the "We didn't study pharmacy to study for 5 years to mix up medicine", plus, according to the Council of Pharmacists, the council is there to protect the public, not the pharmacists, and technically, that IS harm to the public.

Quote by theguitarist
Yes.

edit: the pharmacy will prob try and blame it on your GP though, they usually do when they make mistakes.

How though? I personally went there with the prescription slips and picked up the medicine, which was all in one bag.

We'll go to the GP as well so see if they know anything about this.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 18, 2013,
I think it's easier too, it being a private enterprise. if it was the doctor's fault, the nhs would only really bother if a serious adverse effect happened.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
What kind of morons don't read prescription pill containers? Honestly?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Of course you could sue. You might not have much of a chance at winning much unless she has serious harmful effects from the medication though.
Your mom must have looked at the dosage of the pills on the bottle to see how many to take.

I doubt you could sue since there wasn't really any major harm done.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
First. "pharmacy delivery dude." Uh wtf? Either you're full of shit or wherever you live has some insanely stupid jobs. Delivering drugs to peoples doorsteps? Yeah that sounds like nothing bad will ever happen.

Second. SHE TOOK PILLS WITHOUT READING THE LABEL. I don't care if she has brain cancer that's ****ing stupid. Who just takes pills without even glancing on the bottle? If you need to care for her then you're the stupid one. Either way this story is full of nonsense. Not even going to bother reading more than I did.
Quote by Wormholes

Second. SHE TOOK PILLS WITHOUT READING THE LABEL. I don't care if she has brain cancer that's ****ing stupid. Who just takes pills without even glancing on the bottle? If you need to care for her then you're the stupid one. Either way this story is full of nonsense. Not even going to bother reading more than I did.

So a doctor tells you, as he's writing the prescription, to take one pill a day with water, then you go pick up your prescription and take a pill. You think it's THAT STUPID? Sure, she should have read the label. But you're willing to completely dismiss the fact that the pharmacy gave her the wrong drug, a drug that is dangerous in her scenario, and even more one that is illegal?

Come on.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I hope your mom makes a full recovery. Chemo sucks. When she gets her strength back she should kick the fucking living shit out of who ever filled that prescription. Much more satisfying.

I'd also inform the powers that be that a local pharmacy has medications on hand that are banned in your country. If they are banned wtf do they have them for?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
This whole story makes no sense.

Just philip desperate for attention again.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by AeroRocker
So a doctor tells you, as he's writing the prescription, to take one pill a day with water, then you go pick up your prescription and take a pill. You think it's THAT STUPID? Sure, she should have read the label. But you're willing to completely dismiss the fact that the pharmacy gave her the wrong drug, a drug that is dangerous in her scenario, and even more one that is illegal?

Come on.

Don't know why you are bringing the doctor into this he had nothing to do with it. But yes. Yes it is. I've always read the label and made sure I got what I was supposed to. If it's something I am not familiar with I used a pill identifier. I didn't even say anything about the pharmacy and I'm not going to. If OPS mother did what anyone in the world should do she could have brought it back.

And until someone confirms the existence of these so called "pharmaceutical delivery service men" I still think this story is BS. How on Earth does any non third world pharmacy carry a banned drug? With all the laws and regulations that exist you would never be able to hide that.
Get in touch with a solicitor that handles medical malpractice claims, they'll usually give you a free half hour initial interview to assess the merits of the case. Considering what Pharmacists do, there's definitely a duty of care to ensure the correct medicine is dispensed.

And on top of that they're meant to spot any potential issues with the medicine prescribed, so even if the prescription had been for those anti-biotics they'd have probably failed in their duty of care for that too.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm pretty sure you have no grounds to actually "sue" them. The most you might be able to do is get the pharmacy in a lot of trouble (basically hire a whole new staff) because they gave you the wrong pills, but, the label has someone else's name on it. It is ultimately YOU(or your mom's) fault for taking the wrong pills because the bottle was correctly labeled. If the bottle had her name and prescription on it, but turned out to be something else, then by all means you could sue them. But that wasn't the case. Is it ****ed up they gave you the wrong medication? Yes. Is it their fault that your mom took the pills anyways? Absolutely not, as the bottle was labeled correctly with what was in it.

Also, NO pharmacy would carry a drug that is banned in your country, and not actually be a guy in a van on the corner (which, if that's the case, then you and your mom take all responsibility for anything that happens from taking those drugs). NONE. So, BS.
Last edited by NoBC14 at Jun 18, 2013,
Guys, he said the drug is banned 'in other countries', not over here. Secondly, regardless of whether or not his mom should have read the label (she should, ideally), what about people who have limited sight/visual impairments? The point is that this shouldn't happen, because if somebody couldn't read the label easily in that case, they would be placing trust in the pharmacist to give them the correct medicine.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by NoBC14
I'm pretty sure you have no grounds to actually "sue" them. The most you might be able to do is get the pharmacy in a lot of trouble (basically hire a whole new staff) because they gave you the wrong pills, but, the label has someone else's name on it. It is ultimately YOU(or your mom's) fault for taking the wrong pills because the bottle was correctly labeled. If the bottle had her name and prescription on it, but turned out to be something else, then by all means you could sue them. But that wasn't the case. Is it ****ed up they gave you the wrong medication? Yes. Is it their fault that your mom took the pills anyways? Absolutely not, as the bottle was labeled correctly with what was in it.

Also, NO pharmacy would carry a drug that is banned in your country, and not actually be a guy in a van on the corner (which, if that's the case, then you and your mom take all responsibility for anything that happens from taking those drugs). NONE. So, BS.

They incorrectly dispensed medication to at least two patients, they potentially broke confidentiality by disclosing what medication they were on to at least 3 people, and they left-prescription medicine in the hands of those who did not have a prescription for it (OP's mum apparently checked the bottle after the guy left).

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
They incorrectly dispensed medication to at least two patients, they potentially broke confidentiality by disclosing what medication they were on to at least 3 people, and they left-prescription medicine in the hands of those who did not have a prescription for it (OP's mum apparently checked the bottle after the guy left).

I see where you're coming from, and yeah, if you break it down that far then you probably have a good case on your side. I read the OP as "can I sue them for giving my mom the wrong medication," which, given the circumstances, I really don't think so. If you won, I think it would be one hell of stretch (only because the bottle was correctly labeled).

I do have a question, though. Who is this supposed "3rd" person they broke confidentiality to? Just because he is her son does NOT give him the right to know her medication.
Quote by NoBC14
I see where you're coming from, and yeah, if you break it down that far then you probably have a good case on your side. I read the OP as "can I sue them for giving my mom the wrong medication," which, given the circumstances, I really don't think so. If you won, I think it would be one hell of stretch (only because the bottle was correctly labeled).

sure you can. The fundamental duty of a pharmacist is to ensure the patient gets the right medication. It's not to put the right pills in the right bottle, it's to ensure that the patient gets the medication in accordance with the prescription.

I do have a question, though. Who is this supposed "3rd" person they broke confidentiality to? Just because he is her son does NOT give him the right to know her medication.

the OP has no right to know about the other person's medication. Also, he doesn't necessarily have permission to know, but that wasn't really what I was thinking about.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
sure you can. The fundamental duty of a pharmacist is to ensure the patient gets the right medication. It's not to put the right pills in the right bottle, it's to ensure that the patient gets the medication in accordance with the prescription.

I agree with you, except for the second part where you say it's not their responsibility to put the right pills in the right bottle. Part of making sure the patient gets the right medication IS putting the medication in the right bottle, so if they aren't responsible for putting it in the right bottle then they CAN NOT be responsible for giving it to the right patient.

My point is, you can't ensure the patient is getting the right medication according to their prescription if you are not putting the right pills in the right bottle.
Last edited by NoBC14 at Jun 18, 2013,
You probably could sue the pharmacy. However, it'd probably cost you more in lawyer fees than it'd be worth. Why not just refuse to use that pharmacy ever again, tell your friends and relatives what happened and recommend they switch, and thereby use word of mouth and currency hurt their business?
Quote by Wormholes
And until someone confirms the existence of these so called "pharmaceutical delivery service men" I still think this story is BS.

I can confirm. I had a part time job in a pharmacy a few years ago and they did send me to do some delivery when the delivery guy was sick. I was like 16 or 17 years old at the time and it wasn't a big deal... I don't know if it works like this in the UK but yeah, here in Quebec some pharmacies have these delivery services.

EDIT : Now for the legal action, I don't know much about UK's common law, but here you definitely could as there was a fault. I guess the amount of damage would be hard to prove, and judges here are quite conservative in the evaluation of monetary compensations. There is also a specific law for professional faults, but I never actually studied it so I don't know if it add any possibility in term of compensation.
Last edited by suprsam7 at Jun 18, 2013,
The real issue here is the poor sap who's dying because he got Philip's mom's nausea meds instead of his antibiotics. Will someone please think of the children?
TS, you're telling me the Pharmacy gave you a bottle of pills with someone else's name for a drug that's been banned for 27 years? Something there sounds incorrect. What was the name of the drug?

Good luck to your mom.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
and lesson here kids is to read the ****ing label before you ingest something

EDIT: obviously some gross incompetence on the part of the pharmacist too, but seriously
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jun 19, 2013,
Quote by Wormholes

And until someone confirms the existence of these so called "pharmaceutical delivery service men" I still think this story is BS. How on Earth does any non third world pharmacy carry a banned drug? With all the laws and regulations that exist you would never be able to hide that.

We have this service where I live in Australia. It's mainly for elderly people who can't make it to the chemist, but I know its a real service.
Quote by Wormholes

Is it really that hard to believe?
In the U.S., they would also have violated the HIPPA law, which is a federal law, by divulging the name of another patient and their medication. Not sue-worthy, but it is a federal crime, and the other person who's name was on it, CAN sue.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I think it's an issue that is worth telling some people about, but I don't think it's lawsuit worthy unless it actually causes your mother significant harm. I sympathize (my aunt is going through chemo now), but I think there is a reasonable expectation that the patient examine the label. The pharmacist ****ed up, and there should definitely be a fine and a black mark on his record, but as for whether I think a lawsuit is appropriate..... meh.
Quote by TunerAddict
What kind of morons don't read prescription pill containers? Honestly?

Well, I carried the bag, it had one big box and a small one. I recognized the big one because it was the same one my mom had before (refill) and there was a small container which I assumed were the new ones. I wasn't in the room with my mom and my doctor, I just assumed she knew how to take her pills, and she did get told by the doctor to take the new pills twice a day.

Also, my mom is 61, as much as she wish she didn't, she does have to wear reading glasses. I've noticed that sometimes my mom doesn't notice small font as quickly that people with normal near vision would.

Quote by Wormholes
First. "pharmacy delivery dude." Uh wtf? Either you're full of shit or wherever you live has some insanely stupid jobs. Delivering drugs to peoples doorsteps? Yeah that sounds like nothing bad will ever happen.

Yeah, I suppose it does sound weird, a bit Breaking Bad-ish, but it does happen quite a lot over here. Even in Germany, which usually has super regulated policies, my grandma's pharmacist would personally deliver my grandma's drugs to her place, or he'd send one of his techies over.

Quote by TheChaz
The real issue here is the poor sap who's dying because he got Philip's mom's nausea meds instead of his antibiotics. Will someone please think of the children?

That's exactly what I said.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 19, 2013,
So tell her to stop being stubborn and wear her goddam glasses. My grandmother is the same way.... She has this ******ed vanity about glasses. it'aS MALADAPTIVE BEHAVIOR, AND HAD THE DRUG BEEN A WORSE ONE, SHE LIKELY COULD HAVE DIED. Accidental caps, but I'm not retyping it, sorry.

Back to the point, this is an issue that can obviously be serious. Prescription drugs are often more dangerous and have more contraindications than illegal drugs, like MAOIs and CNS depressants. If someone was prescribed enough Oxycodone/oxymorphone/hydrocodone/hydromorphone/whatever, and didn't read the label, and popped a couple pills, and then got some neurotic ****'s prescription for Xanax and popped a couple of those, he could stop breathing and die.

SO WHY WOULD YOU NOT READ THE BOTTLE
Quote by JustRooster
TS, you're telling me the Pharmacy gave you a bottle of pills with someone else's name for a drug that's been banned for 27 years? Something there sounds incorrect. What was the name of the drug?

Good luck to your mom.

It isn't banned where TS lives.
Page 1 of 2