I play in a power/thrash metal band and have realized over our past several gigs that I desperately need a boost for my solos, and also a noise gate, but noise gates are fairly easy to cover. I've been slightly confused by sources I've seen regarding methods how to do so, since there are many different ways to do so.

I'm not looking for any distortion increases, possibly a slight mid boost, but I already am fairly mid-heavy in my tones. (somewhere between 5-7 normally) I'm looking more for a clean boost, but IDK exactly which one to get and where to put it in my setup, whether in the front or in the loop. I'm looking not to spend too much above $100, but I'll step it up a bit if I have to, I'm just stingy.
Danelectro Fish & Chips in the loop is the cheapest way to go. Very quiet pedal that will do exactly what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Danelectro Fish & Chips in the loop is the cheapest way to go. Very quiet pedal that will do exactly what you want.

+1

I have one as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
An eq-pedal with db level in the loop will do the work too.
MXR Micro Amp should do.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by Cathbard

yep. i own one as well. quiet, has a level control, and lets you shape your boost.
I'm using one in my loop as a volume boost. As I run the amp close to dimed I do get a bit of a distortion boost as well but not an enormous amount. I use it to make certain passages pop in the mix.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 fish&chips, bonus points in the loop
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
If you use only pedals for distortion, then putting it in chain after distortion will do. But if you use the amp's overdrive, then you have to put it in the loop, otherwise it will boost the gain of overdrive, but not volume.

In both cases, it's still better to just put it in the loop.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Of course, if you are running your master volume on 8 or 9 then a boost in the loop will push it to 11. In that case it does add some distortion - but it's power amp distortion, not preamp distortion. If you put it out front your get more preamp distortion. Got it? If you aren't cranking the amp into power tube breakup then the EQ in the loop should add no distortion - just volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 19, 2013,
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
If you use only pedals for distortion, then putting it in chain after distortion will do. But if you use the amp's overdrive, then you have to put it in the loop, otherwise it will boost the gain of overdrive, but not volume.

In both cases, it's still better to just put it in the loop.

That's what I was figuring, thanks. I definitely don't need any more distortion in my tone.

EDIT: Yeah, I get that. I don't run my amp at full volume, typically the highest it goes is 6 on the post gain knob (my amp's volume knob essentially) so I have room.
Last edited by schwinginbatman at Jun 19, 2013,