Hey UG,

I came here to ask before buying anything. I don't have a bass amp and I will soon start gigging, so I was looking at the SansAmp Bass Driver DI because of it's many good reviews. So, after watching many videos and really digging the sound, would you say this is preferable for a gig over an amp? Keeping in mind the price!

Thanks!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
No get an amp. The sans amp is a good pedal, but nothing beats a good rig.

What is your price, location and are you willing to go used? also how big do you want/comfortable with?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Price is what's holding me back. I don't wish to spend more than £300.

I'm located in Glasgow and definitely willing to go used. Not very big, I don't have a large car!

Thanks!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
A good DI is always good to have around but a bass amp of some sort is needed. Not every venue as subs that are good enough for me as a bassist to just want a DI as some places have a lack of quality system or lack of a full PA for some smaller places. Some sound guys prefer a DI or some like to mic the amp. So grab one if you want to but a bass amp is definitely needed.
GK Rockbass 2x10 combo if it is in your price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I hate it when the bass player has to put his guitar through the foldback mix. Buy an amp that can be heard onstage or expect to be pummeled by the rest of the band.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Them sansamps are phenomenal.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
My bass player used to use a sansamp. Now he has a MarkBass. The improvement in sound is hard to overstate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I always went to the board anyway. I was really close to not bringing my amp with me anymore (GK with a 115 cabinet). Suddenly, most of the places we played started using my direct out from the amp instead of the DI box. Changed my mind instantly. Get a decent amp with a line out XLR. Best way to go.
You don't have to spend a fortune on the old 8x10 ampeg cabinet and head either. A good sounding combo is plenty.
I would recommend getting the amp first as well. The Bass Driver is designed to get the sound of a mic'd vintage amp. It can be used for recording or to get a better FOH sound with your existing rig.

It can be used in place of an amp, but it doesn't sound like you are presently playing in situations that will have a sophisticated monitoring system (which is what you need when playing direct). You are at the mercy of the monitors when only playing direct and that can be a nightmare when working with a loud drummer.
You need an amp to give yourself volume before you think about pedals. You say you live in Glasgow. What to do is get yourself down to guitarguitar, take your bass with you and say to a salesman that your looking for an amp with a budget of £xxx that you are going to be using for gigging/recording/practice etc. you want a good sounding reliable amp and your wondering if you can try a few out. taking your bass with you will let you know what your sound will be instead of being handed an unfamiliar bass with different pickups/wood etc. and thinking "That sounds beastin'" only to get home and go "actually thats shite".

That is the best thing to do mate. Any time I go to the shop looking for a new guitar, I note down the setting s I currently use on my amp at home (Line 6 Spider IV 75) and I test the new guitar through the same amp in the shop with my settings. I do the same when I test a pedal, same amp, my guitar that ive brought with me.

The guys in the shop are musicians and guitarists themselves they'll understand you bringing in your own bass and trying out a few amps before plumping for the one you want
Quote by Cathbard
My bass player used to use a sansamp. Now he has a MarkBass. The improvement in sound is hard to overstate.

Sansamp direct to desk, Bass amp as on stage monitor. Sounds brilliant in every venue i've played in, And pleases every single fussy soundman i've come across. I haven't come across the Markbass di yet as i havent seen anyone using one, but i will keep an eye out.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yeah, they're ok as a DI. But the Mark has a better DI too. You get MarkBass quality DI'ing after that nice little preamp they have. The Sansamp is ok, don't get me wrong, but some bass players are tone freaks too (I think I turned mine into one. ) and a good pro amp is gonna beat it - as it should, Sansamps are pretty cheap. I'll give them that, brilliant value for money.
But yeah, please don't just use a Sansamp and just the foldback for your monitoring, It's shit. It's hard enough to hear the vocals in the wedges in a lot of joints. Don't swamp it with bass guitar, you won't be thanked. You'll get away with it but it's sub-optimal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification