Well, after years of hankering after an RG I went to the shop today to try some out, they were nice but meh, so the sales guy suggested I also try the S series, which I did and boy do they feel good (I also tried a Prestige that was fantastic but is out of my price range)

Ok so here is the question, an S420 has the same specs (neck, trem, pups) as the S670 but there is quite a difference in price, what exactly makes it more expensive. Is it just the finish or are the higher model numbers better put together, better quality control?
Well the S420 has a HH config whereas the S670 seems to have a HSH configuration, so that'll affect the price.
Secondly the S670 has a flamed maple top, which adds to the price.

As far as quality control, I don't think it changes any as long as the guitars are made in the same factory. Higher model numbers usually means better/more features though.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Thanks shor, well Im happy with a HH config so I may as well get the lower model number and chuck some decent pickups in it. What would be a good choice for Vai/Satriani stuff?
Last edited by m33sta at Jun 19, 2013,
To be honest, it doesn't matter all that much as long as you have an amp that can get the tone you like.

Personally I find the stock ibanez pups too muddy, but I'd advise you to try them out for a while before you make any changes. Again...mostly it'll come down to your amp.

If I were in the mood for pickup swappage though, I'd be tempted to try out the DiMarzio Gravity Storm set though.
Not going to recommend them, as I haven't tried them myself...but I've heard good things about them.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Pretty much just cosmetic and the extra pickup. The s420 is a great value. Vai and Satch both use basswood bodied guitars and different pickups. Not quite sure what you'd want for the mahogany body of the s420. I have a mo'joe and paf joe pair in my older s540 and think they are great.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I use a Korg AX3000 into a fender twin, or if I am at home the Korg into an 80s Dean Markley amp (nice clean channel, 15" speaker) would a pickup change be noticed with that setup or is it only noticeable with a decent tube amp?
My main guitar is an S420, absolutely killer value. Love this thing.

Ibanez tends to charge a lot for a little. All of their mid level models are going to be more or less the same, quality wise, whether it's a 300 or a 600. I say get the cheapest mid level model you can find that has the features you want, otherwise go Prestige.

If you think the aesthetics are worth the extra they cost, of course that's up to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DarthV
Pretty much just cosmetic and the extra pickup. The s420 is a great value. Vai and Satch both use basswood bodied guitars and different pickups. Not quite sure what you'd want for the mahogany body of the s420. I have a mo'joe and paf joe pair in my older s540 and think they are great.

Vai's main guitar i not basswood, it's alder. Satrianis latest model, JS2410, is also alder.