so im getting a new pedal soon and im deciding to either go with the zoom G3 or the Vox Satchurator. i like the g3 for its versatility and options but idk if the distortion sounds all that well. ive played the vox and like the distortion. any opinions of which way i should go?
Ones a multi fx, The others a distortion pedal?

What do you need? are you starting out with fx or already have a board? If this is you firs tpedal, get the G3, play around, find out what you like the sound of and look into them.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
If you have a looper already, go for the vox, if not, get the G3. I'll take a looper over a distortion pedal. What kind of amp are you using?
well im looking for a distorion that can go blues to a modern metal. i see the korg has presets for these but i dont want a crappy sound. i have a marshall MG100HDFX head through a 4 x 12 cabinet. im more looking for distorion than other effects but the g3 looks like it may have good tones
Last edited by hello1234566784 at Jun 19, 2013,
Get the G3. With that amp the Vox is next to useless, at least with the G3 you'll have some variety.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I don't know how the G3 compares to the Boss ME-70 (another multi-effects pedal), but I never liked any of the distortions on the ME-70. If you're looking for a distortion pedal, go with a pedal that only does distortion; it'll likely be a lot better sounding than a multi-effects pedal.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Last edited by HenryB at Jun 19, 2013,
^ Yeah, Boss's distortions on their multieffect units aren't that great. Based on that, the Zoom would be the better choice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Zoom G3 is the current hot poo.... ! It slams the Boss unit up the canal....
the satchurator is a pretty eh distortion. sounds almost glitchy at high gain with the more switch engaged, and there's only one sweet spot on the tone control. it's not bad at low gain, but it's devoid of balls. very hard to hear in a mix. and i just spent the afternoon with my old one, so it's a recommendation from recent experience.

overall: avoid.
Quote by hello1234566784
well im looking for a distorion that can go blues to a modern metal. i see the korg has presets for these but i dont want a crappy sound. i have a marshall MG100HDFX head through a 4 x 12 cabinet. im more looking for distorion than other effects but the g3 looks like it may have good tones

Am I the only one that picked up that he was using an amp from the mg line, and no one commented. Are these ones any good?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Am I the only one that picked up that he was using an amp from the mg line, and no one commented. Are these ones any good?

No they are not, and other people probably noticed, but he's not looking for general advice with tone, and he's not talking about spending enough money to get a new amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Am I the only one that picked up that he was using an amp from the mg line, and no one commented.

I noticed, but he wasn't asking about amps

Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Are these ones any good?

That depends on your expectations & definition of "good". The smaller MGs are OK practice amps, but I have to admit it is quite worrying that he has the 100w head with a 4x12 cab indicating that he might be gigging with it. Although MGs are perfectly capable of creating some usable noises, that gets more & more difficult the more you turn them up.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
That amp is not very good, so OP that might be the problem...
I've had good results on Marshall solid state amps with my Sansamp TRI-OD set on either "Cali" or "British". They don't make this pedal any more so maybe look into on of their Classic or GT line. I don't think you'll get good distortion out of the G3.

It is also possible to use the gain channel/crunch settings on these amps and put overdrive in front. Might be worth trying out, my old Marshall Valvestate took well to overdrive pedals in the front but it was somewhat different design. Still might be worth a shot. Try an overdrive on the distorted channel, Boss OD-1 or if you can find a Marshall Jackhammer or Guvnor, it will be an instant fix.
Quote by GaryBillington
I noticed, but he wasn't asking about amps

That depends on your expectations & definition of "good". The smaller MGs are OK practice amps, but I have to admit it is quite worrying that he has the 100w head with a 4x12 cab indicating that he might be gigging with it. Although MGs are perfectly capable of creating some usable noises, that gets more & more difficult the more you turn them up.

I know he wasn't asking, but if the amp is complete garbage, then why recommend pedals?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I know he wasn't asking, but if the amp is complete garbage, then why recommend pedals?

Complete garbage is subjective. TS may be happy with his general tone & just in need of a couple more options, in that case a pedal may be the right answer. If he's happy with his clean sounds & just wants a pedal to get his distortion sounds then again, a pedal is probably the right answer.

EDIT: Thought I should include the clarification that in the situation where TS is unhappy with his tone overall and thinks a pedal will solve this, then I agree a new amp is the answer.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jun 21, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington
Complete garbage is subjective. TS may be happy with his general tone & just in need of a couple more options, in that case a pedal may be the right answer. If he's happy with his clean sounds & just wants a pedal to get his distortion sounds then again, a pedal is probably the right answer.

Fair enough.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
^ Damn - ninja'd on my edit!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud