Hey guys, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a pair of KRK Rokit 5s on the way

The interface has 2 "line outs" left and right, and each monitor has a TRS input, all of them 1/4"

I was wondering what type of cable I would use to connect these. Instrument cable, speaker cable, TRS cable (or are they the same), stereo, mono etc?

Thanks!
Last edited by danielbang at Jun 19, 2013,
Balanced 1/4" cable (TRS).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by danielbang
Are instrument and TRS cables the same?

Same in terms of composition etc....but 'instrument cable' usually means a mono (unbalanced) cable.

TRS = Stereo (two wires + ground wire)
TS = Mono (one wire plus ground wire)

Stereo cables can be used in two ways...either you can send a stereo signal down them as normal (like a pair of headphones), or you can send a mono signal down one, which greatly reduces noise thanks to some clever science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Obviously with studio monitors you don't need a stereo signal since each speaker is mono. So when you use stereo cable with speakers, it's for that noise-cancelling effect.

If you use a mono instrument cable you will get sound from the speaker, but with potentially a lot of noise and unpleasant effects on the sound.
Yep, pretty much what Kyle said - Great explanation!

You can use an instrument cable for now, but you'll likely want a pair of TRS cables in the future.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kyle62
Same in terms of composition etc....but 'instrument cable' usually means a mono (unbalanced) cable.

TRS = Stereo (two wires + ground wire)
TS = Mono (one wire plus ground wire)

Stereo cables can be used in two ways...either you can send a stereo signal down them as normal (like a pair of headphones), or you can send a mono signal down one, which greatly reduces noise thanks to some clever science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Obviously with studio monitors you don't need a stereo signal since each speaker is mono. So when you use stereo cable with speakers, it's for that noise-cancelling effect.

If you use a mono instrument cable you will get sound from the speaker, but with potentially a lot of noise and unpleasant effects on the sound.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the help!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yep, pretty much what Kyle said - Great explanation!

You can use an instrument cable for now, but you'll likely want a pair of TRS cables in the future.

I'll go out to buy a pair very soon, thanks for the help