Allready have a marshall jvm 410h but im thinking of selling to buy a 6505.
My band plays metal, like in flames, killswitch engage and so on.
Which would fit me better?
Last edited by Chaoscrew at Jun 19, 2013,
6505, absolutely no question. Your amp isn't good for that sound in general. Whereas the 6505 breathes that sound.

Get an OD to throw in front and an EQ to put in the loop for best results.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
6505, absolutely no question. Your amp isn't good for that sound in general. Whereas the 6505 breathes that sound.

Get an OD to throw in front and an EQ to put in the loop for best results.

Thats my thoughts also. I've allways liked the 5150/6505 sound but for a reason beyond my knowledge I allways used marshall amps.

There are a big bunch ofcmetal amps out there and it gets a liitle bit frustrating not knowing what to choose...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Notice a trend here?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
wow i think i'll get one too
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Well if you like your Marshall, you could always get a good distortion pedal for it?
Something like the Amptweaker Tightmetal is pretty bad ass. Or how about the AMT P1/2 pedal?

Obviously the 6505 would do a better job, but you definitely don't *need* one.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I'm somewhere in the same boat.. I have a TSL 100 and play metal. I can hit it well, but ehhhhh..

I'd say 6505!
For In Flames...6505...for Killswitch...they honestly seem more like boosted Mesa Boogie Rectifier/Roadster to me. They have this really chewy sound when they do palm mutes. Also, they have been using Splawn Nitros and Laney Ironhearts as of late.

All of this is irrelevant to the fact that a Peavey 6505/5150 is probably going to get you 90% of the way into the ballpark...by default.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
KSE really strikes me as a band that gets 6505 tone without a 6505. I was honestly surprised to learn they don't use them, their tone is very similar to the standard metalcore tone that is built around and based on the 5150.

Could just be a good example of how your playing style defines your sound more than your gear.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I guess that is the way it's been lately, but their old tone was definitely more like boosted Rectifier tones. They definitely have a very 5150-centric tone now, although they don't use them. I believe they recorded with Splawn this time around if instagram photos are accurate...which I have heard can be dialed in to be similar. I just always associate the 5150 with this sharp and tight tone that works for the very stabby single note riffs on low strings. It's almost clangy...if that's possible.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Interesting, I get that vibe from their old stuff more than their new stuff. I'm listening to this right now, and I can definitely hear that Marshall-esque midrange fizz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANCzu70us4

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^I definitely hear that Offworld.

A 6505 would work nicely there - but that being said, the JVM should have any trouble reaching that territory. It hit that for me when I tried it without a boost.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.