I have been playing the same guitar (Michael Kelly Patriot ) since I started. I think it is consider a LP style. I found the Fender Strat guitars easier to fret and play and generally more comfortable under my fingers. Are these guitars usually easier to play or maybe I just happen to prefer the feel of the Strat? I think it has more of a twang style which I like on the Strat for playing Pink Floyd. My current guitar doesn't feel like it's cutting it. I am not sure if it is me or not, and I have limited experience with respect to buying guitar stuff.

I feel like I have more control/more exacting with a Strat and was wondering if other people felt the same compared to my current guitar. I am highly considering ditching my current one.
Last edited by sweetdude3000 at Jun 19, 2013,
i wouldn't really say either is easier, in some ways gibsons are easier to play, in some ways fenders are (plus fenders now have so many different neck profiles etc. it's hard to specify a fender anyway, unless you mean a vintage spec one).

that's not to say you won't prefer one or the other, of course.

"more control/more exacting" could be the longer scale length of the fender.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't really say either is easier, in some ways gibsons are easier to play, in some ways fenders are (plus fenders now have so many different neck profiles etc. it's hard to specify a fender anyway, unless you mean a vintage spec one).

that's not to say you won't prefer one or the other, of course.

"more control/more exacting" could be the longer scale length of the fender.

A yeah, the scale length I never thought of that -> more wiggle to hit the notes with the fender. Makes sense.
Personally, yes, i feel Strats are more comfortable to play than most guitars.
But as others already said, this is a matter of personal preference.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Definitely falls to what feels right. I think the best guitar to sit with is an explorer, for example. That bottom angle sits right on the leg and doesn't move.
If the strat feels better and you can play faster and more precisely on it, do it. If it's too twangy, try a different pickup.
I happen to prefer strats over les pauls myself.
Quote by sweetdude3000

I feel like I have more control/more exacting with a Strat and was wondering if other people felt the same compared to my current guitar.

Yes.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by steve987
personal preference

This.

I find an SG-style guitar with an Ebony fretboard way more comfortable to play than a strat.
All my guitars are strat shaped (Ibanez), for me it's a preference.. never really liked the Les Paul body shape
You know i definitely feel strats are easier to play. But it depends on a few key things. Neck contour. Alot of strats have a slim C profile which yes is very easy to play. The setup and types of bridge and saddles can make a difference. But again most feel very playable amongst the common makes of strats.

I have owned many guitars. But have two keepers. A les Paul and a strat. The strat is more fun to play and it is also very comfortable to wield on the shoulder because it is lighter by far than my les paul. Les paul guitar is great to, but heavier, thicker neck, and seemingly more string tension from that tune o matic style bridge.

My vote as a generalization is clearly though that strats are easy to play.
I've only every played one Fender Strat and one Gibson Les Paul. The Strat, I had for a couple of weeks back in October. Loved the way it played, but couldn't see putting it to use when I almost strictly played metal then. The LP I played was after I had set it up for a friend. Nothing really too notable, just that I could get bigger stretches in. I would take the strat over the LP any day.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
The body is comfy, nicely rounded and not too heavy, way more comfy than my Ibby, but the neck, meh.
The body cuts on strats make them comfortable, but the neck on my Charvel (Les paul shape) is more comfortable to me that any Strat i've tried, plus it has a big belly cut and weighs bugger all. As had been said and will be said - its all preference.