So... Im saving up cash for a pedalboard and sme specific pedals. My question to all metal players is, should i go with some other pedals than the ones im set to buy?

I play melodic thrash/death metal in Chaos Crew.

So here is the list.

1. Boss NS-2
2. Boss Harmonist PS-6 (need to play harmonies live)
3. Boss DD-3
4. Boss GE-7 (if needed?)

Im gonna use these on a peavey 6505 amp.

So whats your thoughts?
^ Obvioulsy you don't need anything like a distortion pedal but you haven't listed one. Only you know if you'll use those effects.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I would check out the ISP Decimator instead of the NS-2 for a noise gate and a Digitech Harmony Man instead of the PS-6 for a hamonizer. Although it's discontinued, it's a great intelligent harmonizer that can analyze your chord progression and figure out the right harmonies.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
I would check out the ISP Decimator instead of the NS-2 for a noise gate and a Digitech Harmony Man instead of the PS-6 for a hamonizer. Although it's discontinued, it's a great intelligent harmonizer that can analyze your chord progression and figure out the right harmonies.
Never had a problem with my NS-2
Influences, bands/guitarist you like?
Check out what they are using and try out some pedals yourself man. Find out what you want to incorporate into your sound.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by ExDementia
Never had a problem with my NS-2

Not saying that it's a bad as far as noise gates go, but I see a lot of guys using the ISP with the 6505's. For some reason, they just go together in my head However, they do use different styles of signal tracking to open/close the gate,and maybe it's all industry hype, but I find the tracking is a bit more refined in the ISP than the NS2. The NS2 is good if you want to kill sound when you're not playing, but it tends to choke stuff out if you want that start/stop chugga chugga kind of sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by JackovSlayer
An EQ pedal can always be useful, I guess that Boss GE-7 will be fine.

i would look for a mxr 10 band. it also has volume and gain sliders in addition to the standard sliders. pretty much the industry standard.

the main reason i advise the 10 band is the volume and gain sliders, if you wanted a boost and slide them up and you have a boost that perfectly matches what you want tonally.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look for a mxr 10 band. it also has volume and gain sliders in addition to the standard sliders. pretty much the industry standard.

the main reason i advise the 10 band is the volume and gain sliders, if you wanted a boost and slide them up and you have a boost that perfectly matches what you want tonally.

IIRC the GE-7 has a volume too. No gain, but it has a volume.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
IIRC the GE-7 has a volume too. No gain, but it has a volume.

i think the GE-7's do as well, but not gain. honestly when i was eq shopping i bought the MXR 10 band because it seemed more sturdy and i liked the feel of the sliders. i am not saying that the boss wasn't as good, as boss pedals are very durable, but i preferred the mxr.

also when you buy pedals, look used. TGP is a great place to look for good deals on cheaper things from their members. either have somebody build something (that i know and trust and there are some on here) or buy used. TGP just seems to have what i want up and the typically the prices average a little bit lower.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
a ts-style overdrive wouldn't hurt to tighten things up. obviously the 6505 has tons of its own distortion, but personally i normally prefer the sound of a boosted amp with the gain turned down a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the harmonist has many features that do not make up for its somewhat limited ability to actually create interesting harmonies. i recommend trying something aside from the BOSS.

i replaced mine with a tc electronic ditto and haven't looked back. just ensure that the BOSS will actually create the exact harmonies you're looking for if you go that route or you'll never turn it on.

it's hard to find a use for delay when doing live metal because of the natural echo in any room that makes it hard to hear and only really serves to muddy things up. i have one on my board anyway.

no wah? heretic!
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
OP: those pedals sound OK.

Might also want to look at the 4 cable method with a modeler:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cliosport/media/4CableMethod.jpg.html

The Boss GT-10 for example has 2 built in noise gates (NS-2) and all the other fx you mention plus can do the amp switching for you.

Friend of mine used a Rocktron Hush to tame the hiss of the 6505, that might also work for your needs.
I've always found the GE-7 to be a noisy little bitch. Better off with an MXR 10 band or even a Danelectro Fish & Chips.

Decimator > NS-2
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by greeny23
they're fine.

I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

OP: The NS-2 and the DD-3 are good.

I haven't heard great things about the Boss Harmonist, and the one in my GT-10 doesn't work that well. That sort of effect is not my area of expertise, but you should look to see what alternatives there are.

The GE-7 is okay, but the Danelectro Fish & Chips is a lot better value for the price. I've owned 2 GE-7s in the past, and I own a Fish & Chips now.

If you're okay with spending a little more, look at the MXR 10 band, but just keep in mind that it's an 18V pedal when you're thinking about how your going to power your effects.

And you should definitely get an OD to go in front. There are a lot of good ones. Take a look at the Digitech Bad Monkey, the Hardwire CM-2, and the Way Huge Green Rhino, to list just a few.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 19, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

sometimes i don't think he knows if is being sarcastic... haha

tim.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've heard good things about the Rocktron Hush, too, the rackmount especially. I have not tried, but hey, you could get a little rack going.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by crabstampede

no wah? heretic!

I use the Morley Mark Tremonti PowerWah, its awsome

I've seen people mentioning The DanElectro Fish and Chips so
I found a used one for $30. Buying today.

I have two noise gates which im not satisfied with. Arctec and Behringer.
But thats what i get for buying cheap stuff i guess.
Quote by Chaoscrew
I've seen people mentioning The DanElectro Fish and Chips so
I found a used one for $30. Buying today.

I got a new one for $30.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fish and CHips, used? You get $10.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Try ISP Decimator instead of the NS-2, an EQD Rainbow Machine instead of the Harmonist (it's a little unusual and not common to your style but you'll sound unique), and ****ing any other EQ besides the GE-7.

The DD-3 is a good budget delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Fish and CHips, used? You get $10.

I live in sweden and pricinh is a bit higher comparing with the states.
Its a good price for me
And Cath lives in Australia? i.e. hella expensive.
I think you could get it cheaper, even in Sweden.
[404]Signature not found
You might want to look at a compressor pedal as well. Maybe it's not that dire to have since it hasn't been mentioned yet, but it'll help keep the amp in line. A good OD would do pretty much the same thing though so it's up to you.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by jmaguire
And Cath lives in Australia? i.e. hella expensive.
I think you could get it cheaper, even in Sweden.

I have checked the biggest stores i sweden and cant find fish and chips anywhere.