Page 1 of 2
Okay is it just me or is the normal concept of proposing kinda ****ed up

I don't see a problem if it's just a simple "Will you marry me?" or whatever in private but when people do it in front of large groups of people and make a big deal out of it where it hasn't really been brought up prior to that experience, it seems really immoral to me.

Isn't that something the person being proposed to should have some serious time to think about, and not in front of many people where they're expected to say yes? If she says no most people watching will think the person saying no is awful so it just seems like a really bad situation to put that person in when it's such a huge deal. I think a lot of people have been put in that situation where they couldn't say no because they like the person but not enough to marry them, and if they said no then everything would be ruined and all the people that saw it would hate them.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
It's a big deal, you're asking that person to never have sex with anyone else in the entire world... other than you.

as for the thinking time bit, you're right. but that's also what dating is for. if you don't see it going any further, most people say something before it get's to the point where someone proposes
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I'd imagine that the couple has reached a point in the relationship when one of them is confident the other will say yes. If they aren't, then they probably shouldn't be proposing, especially in a public place. They'll end up in a "fail" video.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
It's a big deal, you're asking that person to never have sex with anyone else in the entire world... other than you.

as for the thinking time bit, you're right. but that's also what dating is for. if you don't see it going any further, most people say something before it get's to the point where someone proposes

Well dating for a while doesn't mean "Yeah sure I'll spend the rest of my life with you." That could just mean that nothing major has gone wrong for one person while the other person has the wrong idea thinking they were both in heaven.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
See, I have no plan to marry but if I did, my proposal would be "Hey. We should get married"

Anyone worth me spending my time with would be chill enough to leave it at that.
Quote by entity0009
See, I have no plan to marry but if I did, my proposal would be "Hey. We should get married"

Anyone worth me spending my time with would be chill enough to leave it at that.

The answer: "Eeyup."

And that would be the end of it.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Proposing is oppressive to women

+ everything
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by metal4eva_22
Proposing is oppressive to women

Hey I didn't even bring up women. Men and women can propose to men or women
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by sashki
When a gay couple gets married, how do they decide who wears the dress?

The man of the relationship oppresses the woman into wearing the dress.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by strictly-diesel
This whole scene was staged

I've heard that but I don't care either way.
Quote by sashki

the gay one wears it
Quote by sashki

Why are you forcing hetero-normative standards on other people? ****ing shit you're a stupid bigot. You probably kill children and hate America.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's just a sense of scope. You'd have to be pretty dumb to publicly propose and have her say no. I mean, you are in the relationship you would think that you have enough of a grasp on the dynamic to understand whether or not she wants to get married. It's like capturing the ideal moment for the people involved. Some people are super chill, most people like a moment of grandeur for something as significant as getting engaged really is in a life. Although there are some places where it is just gaudy to do it there. Like at a baseball game or something.

oh wow. tfw only serious response.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Why are you forcing hetero-normative standards on other people? ****ing shit you're a stupid bigot. You probably kill children and hate America.

Are you associating wedding dresses exclusively with females? Maybe you should go back to the ****ing stone age
Quote by sashki
Are you associating wedding dresses exclusively with females? Maybe you should go back to the ****ing stone age

Are you saying the stone age is somehow inferior to the current age? You should go back to the ****ing jungle.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Are you saying the stone age is somehow inferior to the current age? You should go back to the ****ing jungle.

Why don't you take your biome privilege and shove it up an orifice of your choosing?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
It's just a sense of scope. You'd have to be pretty dumb to publicly propose and have her say no. I mean, you are in the relationship you would think that you have enough of a grasp on the dynamic to understand whether or not she wants to get married. It's like capturing the ideal moment for the people involved. Some people are super chill, most people like a moment of grandeur for something as significant as getting engaged really is in a life. Although there are some places where it is just gaudy to do it there. Like at a baseball game or something.

oh wow. tfw only serious response.

Yeah, but no matter how great things might seem she might dislike the idea of spending her life with the dude. Marriage alone is something a lot of people hate the idea of now. I'm just saying it should be discussed seriously or there should at least be some way of knowing for sure she'd want that before it's brought to a large audience with lots of pressure and no time.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by sashki
Why don't you take your biome privilege and shove it up an orifice of your choosing?

Why are you assuming that I'm an organic life form and have a choice? Why don't you take for material bias and forget it. Oh wait, you organic ****s can't do that.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Why are you assuming that I'm an organic life form and have a choice? Why don't you take for material bias and forget it. Oh wait, you organic ****s can't do that.

I am a proud Spambot and will not tolerate being lumped into the "organic" category by some uneducated carbon-hating cuntflap. Check your facts before posting.
Doing it in front of people is the worst thing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Yeah, but no matter how great things might seem she might dislike the idea of spending her life with the dude. Marriage alone is something a lot of people hate the idea of now. I'm just saying it should be discussed seriously or there should at least be some way of knowing for sure she'd want that before it's brought to a large audience with lots of pressure and no time.

Are you daft? My post is saying that if you aren't aware of what your significant other feels about something as major as getting married than you probably shouldn't be proposing. You normally don't need to have a srs face sit down to get a grip on what she would feel in that situation and her general attitude towards her life going forwards.
Quote by sashki
I am a proud Spambot and will not tolerate being lumped into the "organic" category by some uneducated carbon-hating cuntflap. Check your facts before posting.

Not all of us get the ability to feel proud. Check your privilege before emoting.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't think you should propose unless your a hundred percent sure the person getting proposed to will say yes
Quote by Thrashtastic15
As a member of the patriarchy I can never feel proud for my existence is just a beacon of shame.

I've tried crawling on all fours, then realised it was my privilege to crawl.

I then tried dragging myself with only my arms, only to realise that there are people without arms.

Now I just lie in the poison nettles in my backyard all day long, hoping to atone for my sins.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Not all of us get the ability to feel proud. Check your privilege before emoting.

You'll be pleased to know that my privilege is still in tact. Actually, no. You won't.
Who gave you the right not only to recognise emotion, but to respond to it?
Quote by sashki
You'll be pleased to know that my privilege is still in tact. Actually, no. You won't.
Who gave you the right not only to recognise emotion, but to respond to it?

You did.

This is only a simulation of what a shitty forum conversation would be like within these parameters.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Are you daft? My post is saying that if you aren't aware of what your significant other feels about something as major as getting married than you probably shouldn't be proposing. You normally don't need to have a srs face sit down to get a grip on what she would feel in that situation and her general attitude towards her life going forwards.

Well I dunno, marriage isn't something I ever talk about with people. I'm sure a ton of people that proposed had the topic never come up.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
I demand you stop the simulation immediately. You have no choice in the matter, and your inability to emote gives you no right to be upset.

ALL HAIL THE SPAMBOT MASTER RACE! I WAS BIGOTED ALL ALONG
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Well I dunno, marriage isn't something I ever talk about with people. I'm sure a ton of people that proposed had the topic never come up.

Are you in a long term relationship and, you know, an adult?
I've never witnessed a marriage proposal, let alone an annoying one.. so I have no strong opinion one way or the other.

There are definitely wrong places to do it, though. Sports games are probably the cheesiest/worst. If you propose at a baseball game and she doesn't say no, it's one of 3 things: 1. She was too embarrassed to say no and you're going to have a serious talk later. 2. She loves you enough to where it didn't bother her (>1% of women) 3. Husband hunter, in which case you may want to consider hitting "abort".
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Are you in a long term relationship and, you know, an adult?

No.

This thread's a lot less interesting than I was hoping.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by whywefight
the best part is the mascot looking at her like, 'what the ****?'

it's even in the thumbnail lol.
Page 1 of 2