Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!
1,115 IQ
I have problems with being creative and fear I am too "left brained". This pretty much sums me up regarding my outlook to things in life:

I particularly struggle to come up with interesting and creative ideas (song writing, painting, writing poetic verses, short stories). Like with guitar (obviously since I'm on this site)... I can learn to play a song accurately and with precision but I really, really am bad at making up original melodies or riffs. I'll just rehash songs from other songs. Or I'll hear a song and think of great ways to better it or include other instruments - it's like I lack individual creativity.

How do I become more balanced or more right brained?

PS: I've read the top rated lessons from this site. It helps a bit but... I feel like it doesn't come naturally enough for me.
If I'm a little drunk or high I can loosen up a bit but for health reasons I don't like that too much.

What do?
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Last edited by Akula KO at Jun 19, 2013,
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
I can empathize with you on this. It'll all come with practice. I started with third-rate Gothenburg riffs, then worked my way up to memorable melodies, then cohesive song structures, over a couple years. There's literally hundreds of TuxGuitar files left over from all that. Just keep writing.
But from your post, it doesn't sound like you're as bad as you think you are (I haven't heard anything yet, though):
Quote by Akula KO
I'll just rehash songs from other songs.

You'd be surprised at how much that happens. From your personal text, you've probably heard of Finntroll? In the charts for how their songs are laid out, every riff is named after something it's based on. This is "Fornfamnad". See the parts labeled "Thy Serpent"? "Bal-Sagoth"? "Star Wars"?
Quote by Akula KO
Or I'll hear a song and think of great ways to better it or include other instruments

That's really important, actually. Any idiot can put together a bunch of riffs and make a partly-coherent song. The editing afterwards is what takes them from mediocre to great.
Leather Sleeves
Tab Contributor
899 IQ
Being right-brained has it's advantages for song writing. A lot of it comes down to the theory of how songs are structured. If you can analyze other people's songs you can learn a lot about composition.

Also, learn theory. It doesn't sound "creative", but it will help.

Furthermore, I was reading something recently about the brain and how to increase different aspects of your intelligence. For musical intelligence, the suggestion was to listen to types of music unfamilar to you. So if you listen to metal, you never know, listening to traditional African music might help you as a writer.
rolandroi
it is known
1,244 IQ
you're just making excuses. LOL pointing fingers on your own brain
Yes you are struggling, but so is everyone else.

Try to write anything you want to say in a piece of paper, anything relevant or irrelevant, or stupid, it doesn't matter. It will give you many ideas. A broad vocabulary helps a lot as well.
Last edited by rolandroi at Jun 19, 2013,
Danitarium
Giggle Box
390 IQ
It may not sound like it, but creativity is a skill just like anything else. You have to learn it, and practice it often. Just keep writing.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
I suggest you find a new outlook on life that isn't based on severe oversimplifications of how the brain works. Left brain/right brain is a bunch of malarkey.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
HotspurJr
191 IQ
Make sure that you're developing your ear. You need to be able to hear music to write music.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Akula, why do you think you cannot write original music when you post stuff like:

Quote by Akura KO
I don't like tossing out something original I've come up with. I'll only toss it (lyrics or music) if I find it's actually me remembering some song and I've basically subconsciously plagiarised. Even if you think your original piece sucks I think in most cases you can rework it. At least it doesn't hurt to keep it written somewhere.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30678990#post30678990

Sounds like you're pulling our leg here, unless you've been in some sort of accident and lost half your brain in the process.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
sweetdude3000
1,262 IQ
Right and left brained is pop psychology. I once met this really gay dude who was like oh I am so creative like a bumblebee, my mind is free, and my tattoos are proof I am an artist. Lol. Just because you suck at math doesn't mean you are automatically creative or good at it you aren't. Its not mutually exclusive.

Don't let that brain reject your good ideas!
innovine
769 IQ
Some good advice above on improving your weaknesses, but don't forget to improve on your strengths too. Try writing in odd times, with rhythmic or melodic phrases which mutate according to rules and patterns. Almost-repeating cycles which overlap often form the core of my music, I then smooth it out and add artistic touches with the right brain. You can also exploit a lot of left brain by composing in a daw or guitar pro, chopping and rearranging, and finally learning how to actually play it..
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,484 IQ
I think when everybody started to write songs, their first song wasn't that great. You'll learn to write songs if you just write songs. I have listened to some of my first song ideas and they are pretty generic sounding. Now I have written some more songs and they sound a lot better. Though I don't really like writing alone. I think I write better stuff when I write with my friend.

I wouldn't look at that "left brained/right brained" stuff. I think it's complete BS. It just makes you think you can't do it. And because you think you can't do it, you aren't even trying and of course you can't do it. And how do you know you are "left brained"?

OK, there are people who find it easier to write songs but it doesn't mean you can't do it. Songwriting is a skill, not something you are born/not born to do. For example my friend is really good at maths but he also writes lots of songs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
Well TS, you can always write tone rows or some hymns according to the voice leading rules of Gradus Ad Parnassum. Both of those processes are very left brained. It's almost a science.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,484 IQ
Left brained music: serialism.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
HotspurJr
191 IQ
Quote by sweetdude3000
Right and left brained is pop psychology.

It's a metaphor that is actually very useful.

Betty Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is a great example of how that metaphor is incredibly helpful in teaching people. I know dozens of people who couldn't draw at all until they learned her approach.

It may not have anything at all to do with the actual physiology of your brain, but that's irrelevant. As a way of describing two different ways of approaching something mentally, it is very useful.

Like anything else, a right-brained approach to things is something you can learn. The challenge is that societally we tend to push people towards left-brained thinking. It's not about math-vs-art, or whatever, it's about methods of perceiving and understanding. The left-brained approach (again, for lack of a better term, making no claims about physiology here) is about separating, labeling, categorizing.

So music theory, for example, is a left-brain exploration of music. And I tend not to think that's a great place to start your creative explorations, even though I a pro-theory. But I'm also, for a lack of a better term, "pro-listening," the advice I always give about songwriting ("listen to the silence and don't play anything until you hear the sound in your head") is a very right-brained approach.

If you can't draw, and want to experience the power of this switch, get Edwards book. If somebody could do the same thing for music, they'd be very successful. I find it unlikely, however.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Left brained music: serialism.

Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Jehannum
Bant
2,445 IQ
Quote by HotspurJr
It's a metaphor that is actually very useful.

Metaphors are seldom useful. They're often misleading for anything deeper than imparting a vague flavour of understanding.

In any case, how is this metaphor helpful if it's not immediately obvious what the hemispheres of the brain are supposed to function. You have to buy into the metaphor to understand it. You have to be told left is 'analytical' and right is 'creative' (or the other way round - I never can remember). Why not just say 'analytical' and 'creative'?

It's useless self-help Oprah-level garbage.

Before the left/right brain meme we already knew some people were more creative and some more analytical. All it did was add ostensible scientific underpinning to the already self-evident.
HotspurJr
191 IQ
Quote by Jehannum

It's useless self-help Oprah-level garbage.

The success of Edwards' book says otherwise.

Before the left/right brain meme we already knew some people were more creative and some more analytical. All it did was add ostensible scientific underpinning to the already self-evident.

Except that this isn't what the metaphor is telling us at all.

These are different ways of thinking that are available to all of us. We just have learn to access them.

Hard to know what else I should bother saying, since it's abundantly clear that you didn't read my first post, so I find it unlikely you'll read this one. So long as you think you have nothing to learn, you'll never learn anything.

Quote by metalmetalhead
plus your brain doesn't even work like that.

This is irrelevant to the usefulness of the concept in practical terms.
Last edited by HotspurJr at Jun 24, 2013,
metalmetalhead
Panterica
517 IQ
Quote by HotspurJr

This is irrelevant to the usefulness of the concept in practical terms.

well then, By simply making someone aware of the fact that you can think logically or creatively is successful.

It reminds me of my buddies trying to learn new finger exercises. When you can make any pattern you want. I say make up something, You say...I don't know how.

And theres the difference between the guitarist that makes up there own music. vs the guitarist that learns other musicians work.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by metalmetalhead

And theres the difference between the guitarist that makes up there own music. vs the guitarist that learns other musicians work.

it's more "the guitarist who reads tabs on the internet and tries to piece things together" and "the guitarist who internalizes other peoples' music and uses those influences to create their own sound"
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
HotspurJr
191 IQ
Quote by metalmetalhead
well then, By simply making someone aware of the fact that you can think logically or creatively is successful.

Why do people who don't understand a concept try to define it?

"Left-brained" and "right-brained" are different modalities of thinking.

It has very little to do with being "creative" or not. It has to do with the labeling/analyzing/compartmentalizing method of analysis, or the absence of that.

A lot of shredding, and certainly genres like mathcore, are very left-brain oriented. That doesn't mean they're not creative. Writing is a very left-brain activity, wheres my experience is that most of the music I play isn't.

I think that a lot of the endless discussions we get into around here about stuff like modes stems from people holding onto a left-brain approach in an area where it's not useful. A lot of us have done really well with a left-brained approach, and it's most of what we're taught in school, and it is a fantastic tool set. But we use it so much that we don't know how to turn it off.

And it turns out that turning it off also unleashes a powerful tool set, although it's a harder one to talk about or teach (because talking about something is bringing a left-brain approach to bear on the subject).

The first step to doing this is to STOP analyzing and breaking down and taking apart. In Edwards' book, it then becomes about looking in a more profound way than we usually look. In music, I think it's about listening in a more profound way than we usually listen, but that's something that's hard to do with an undeveloped ear.

It's not just saying "be more creative."
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,360 IQ
TS, if you can't write original music, it's b because you can't hear original pieces. Train you're ear.
sysD
1,057 IQ
i remember reading this study that suggested listening to what you're playing with one ear closed.
this supposedly engages the corresponding side of the brain to be more dominant in processing what you're hearing.

i tried using my left ear (plugging my right) when composing lines on the piano and it seemed to me that my right brain was more engaged (my progressions had more emotional depth).

however, this is purely anecdotal and i could be full of shit
sigless
sweetdude3000
1,262 IQ
Quote by macashmack
TS, if you can't write original music, it's b because you can't hear original pieces. Train you're ear.

Exactly.

You can be very analytical and very creative too. The master composers were/are these types of people. You can be very visually creative and not musically creative.. There are different types of creativity anyhow - inventors, mathematicians, writers. It's not an either/or phenomenon.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
The greatest masterpieces in music have indisputable logic, control, and economy, on top of creativity and taste.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
metalmetalhead
Panterica
517 IQ
Why do people who don't understand a concept try to define it?

"Left-brained" and "right-brained" are different modalities of thinking.

It has very little to do with being "creative" or not. It has to do with the labeling/analyzing/compartmentalizing method of analysis, or the absence of that.

A lot of shredding, and certainly genres like mathcore, are very left-brain oriented. That doesn't mean they're not creative. Writing is a very left-brain activity, wheres my experience is that most of the music I play isn't.

I think that a lot of the endless discussions we get into around here about stuff like modes stems from people holding onto a left-brain approach in an area where it's not useful. A lot of us have done really well with a left-brained approach, and it's most of what we're taught in school, and it is a fantastic tool set. But we use it so much that we don't know how to turn it off.

And it turns out that turning it off also unleashes a powerful tool set, although it's a harder one to talk about or teach (because talking about something is bringing a left-brain approach to bear on the subject).

The first step to doing this is to STOP analyzing and breaking down and taking apart. In Edwards' book, it then becomes about looking in a more profound way than we usually look. In music, I think it's about listening in a more profound way than we usually listen, but that's something that's hard to do with an undeveloped ear.

It's not just saying "be more creative."

Thats deep man. I just want you to know, regardless of what I think. Your on to something BIG!

But I have to disagree somewhere. It has alot to do with being creative or technical. (both are useful). This is what it all boils down too. Because this is different thinking modalities. Parables are useful. I don't disagree with the topic, Ive never read that book.

It doesn't matter what you think, its how you think. Thats why I disagree with this, I think the musician should be able to figure it out him/herself without having to read a philology book. Right and left should be 1.

I don't think I enjoy math metal. To me that just seems like it would be more technical am I right?

Listening more intestinally is not enough. You have to train your ear this is a trial and error process. You can remind yourself to focus your contentiousness's on whatever it is you want. but this is only half the battle. and your brain probably remembers the tune pretty well anyway.

Before you go all out on a new post just remember what the ts said, " I fear I am to left brained to write original music"

I just don't agree to thinking like this because. theres nothing you can sing that cant be sung. theres nothing you can say that cant be done. Its easy.

it's more "the guitarist who reads tabs on the Internet and tries to piece things together" and "the guitarist who internalizes other peoples' music and uses those influences to create their own sound

yea thats another way of putting it. but theres alot of successful cover artist around.