i have three prestige RG's, looking for the right pickup combo in the third.

3550MZ with a Tone Zone/True Velvet/Air Norton
2570EVSL with a Crunch Lab/DimarzioIBZ(SC)/Liquifire
the above RG's cover the melodic death/dabbeling into prog, mainly lead material. and i am very happy with them.

1570 (the third) i want something pretty deep and more chuggy. it will be in C# std. i would like more output but i still want that sweet glassy clean from the neck humbucker. i don't really have a specific sound that i am going for but generally aggressive.

i typically like dimarzios, but am not limiting, but i really for some reason have never loved an SD as much as a dimarzio. maybe i haven't heard the right one, but i haven't fond anything i have not liked from dimarzio other than the X2N. the output was nice but it sounded terrible.

i am not against active necessarily. but would prefer not becuase i don't want to buy another single coil for the middle and hate wiring active/passive guitars (did it once. never again).

i was thinking about the lace deathbucker, but i am not over familiar with it.

i really have to top the budget at $160 and not more.

thanks and
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I guess I am bumping myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
¿bump?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
How about Bare Knuckles? Something like a Warpig is extremely high output and is really bassy and brutal. For a matching neck and middle pickups, you could just email bare knuckle and hear what they think is the best pup to match it or any other bridge pickup.

As for DiMarzios, have you tried the pickup picker on their site? I ran a basic humbucker search for fatter tone and for example the AT-1 seems to have similiar tonality to the Tone Zone but with slightly less output.

Actually, if it has less output it's exactly what you're not looking for Maybe a super distortion? Really bassy and a lot of output.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 24, 2013,
DiMarzio Super 3 in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck?

Or maybe a D Sonic in the bridge, as a less powerful, more articulate alternative.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for the responses. I don't care to spend as much as i would with a pair of bkps.

The pickup picker isn't my favorite thing. I will do some listening to different pickup. Especially what was recommended.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Thanks for the responses. I don't care to spend as much as i would with a pair of bkps.

The pickup picker isn't my favorite thing. I will do some listening to different pickup. Especially what was recommended.

And by the way, we do have our Lace thread in here. If you're interested in the deathbucker, drop a question for nick in the thread. He gives good advice.
Super Distortion and d activator and d sonic and super 3 seemed to come up with most often changing between parameters. What do you all think?

When i was playing with the pickup picker there was 'metal' and ' heavy metal',
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Super Distortion and d activator and d sonic and super 3 seemed to come up with most often changing between parameters. What do you all think?

When i was playing with the pickup picker there was 'metal' and ' heavy metal',

Well, as you said yourself the pickup picker isn't the most accurate thing out there... I'm not a fan of D-activators myself, but the rest are all good pickups in my opinion. D-activators are of course good also, I just don't like actives all that much. But they are different from normal actives, they don't need batteries so I might like them more than usual

The D-sonic has less output than the others, but tonally it's close to what you're looking for, strong mids and bass. Super Distortion then has a lot more output and really tight bass, so I figure it's good for chugging. The Super 3 then is probably the one I would personally pick, but you're not me so I don't know if it's best for you.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Well, as you said yourself the pickup picker isn't the most accurate thing out there... I'm not a fan of D-activators myself, but the rest are all good pickups in my opinion. D-activators are of course good also, I just don't like actives all that much. But they are different from normal actives, they don't need batteries so I might like them more than usual

The D-sonic has less output than the others, but tonally it's close to what you're looking for, strong mids and bass. Super Distortion then has a lot more output and really tight bass, so I figure it's good for chugging. The Super 3 then is probably the one I would personally pick, but you're not me so I don't know if it's best for you.

i think the super 3 is what i am looking for. i have read a lot about it, and i think it would be a solid competitor.

thanks offworld and guitar/bass95 and cdr_salamander

next to that i am looking for a good neck pickup to go with the bridge.

would i have to worry about keeping the neck pickup at a similar enough volume as the heavier bridge pickup (super 3).

all opinions welcome.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I think both Offworld and cdrsalamander mentioned the PAF, which is a great neck pickup if you want DiMarzios. They have a more sparkling sound, as opposed to some smoother pups, like for example your LiquiFire and Air Norton.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I think both Offworld and cdrsalamander mentioned the PAF, which is a great neck pickup if you want DiMarzios. They have a more sparkling sound, as opposed to some smoother pups, like for example your LiquiFire and Air Norton.

I haven't been able to hear a PAF as i am on a phone. not good enough to be sure.

Have any of you tried a super Distortion in the neck?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
What year was the 1570 made? My 2008 (and other made that year) has very shallow pickup routes. Could not fit a crunch lab without have the cavity routed deeper or shimming the neck by over 1/4". I don't think any of the dimarzio higher output pups would fit without modification.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I haven't been able to hear a PAF as i am on a phone. not good enough to be sure.

Have any of you tried a super Distortion in the neck?

I don't like the idea of a matching set, I think that a pup that's designed for bridge isn't the best possible option for a neck pickup. I can't say for sure, might work. Haven't obviously tried. And I am probably wrong here, so you should wait for other opinions.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 25, 2013,
I can chime in on the D-Sonic. I think it's pretty close to what you want for the bridge. Deep and chuggy is exactly how I'd describe it, but it can do sweet leads as well. It has a lower output than some of your other options, but still plenty. On my rig it gives me a good As the Palaces Burn Lamb of God tone. Not overly gainy/extreme distortion, but thick and meaty and TIGHT for articulate riffing. I'd say it's an exceptionally tight pickup without sacrificing bass/low mids.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Not overly gainy/extreme distortion, but thick and meaty and TIGHT for articulate riffing. I'd say it's an exceptionally tight pickup without sacrificing bass/low mids.

+1

The D Sonic has amazing clarity! These reviews of the D Sonic are pretty much in line with what I experienced. The only reason I took it out is because I preferred a more balanced pickup with a brighter emphasis.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Everything I read about the D Sonic leads me to believe that I made the wrong choice with D Activators.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DarthV
What year was the 1570 made? My 2008 (and other made that year) has very shallow pickup routes. Could not fit a crunch lab without have the cavity routed deeper or shimming the neck by over 1/4". I don't think any of the dimarzio higher output pups would fit without modification.

I don't have the 1570 at this house.

Regarding the pickup cavity Has anybody else experienced this.?

I had no issues with the crunch lab i the 2570 was fine. I don't know what year mine are.

----
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've worked on my own and a few Ibanez RGs, from what I see the RGs with a pick guard tend to have fairly deep cavities with no issues fitting a pickup into it.

I have a J Custom which has no pickguard, and the pickup cavity is noticeably shallower. While I'm not sure of DiMarzio's pickup height, I should think the cavity deep enough to fit a DiMarzio.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I've worked on my own and a few Ibanez RGs, from what I see the RGs with a pick guard tend to have fairly deep cavities with no issues fitting a pickup into it.

I have a J Custom which has no pickguard, and the pickup cavity is noticeably shallower. While I'm not sure of DiMarzio's pickup height, I should think the cavity deep enough to fit a DiMarzio.

I had no issue with the 2570 and the CL/LQ fitting. Both have no pickguard

I guess i will measure it. I don't think that a brand that uses dimarzio on the higher models and couldn't fit in others. However there wasn't much extra room.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Here's a link to the dimarzio forum about the 2008 1570 issue:

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1364.msg10238.html#msg10238

Without having routing done, mine won't accept pickups that are much larger than the 22mm stock pup height. Which is why I'm looking at a BKP painkiller for mine.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs