Poll: well?
Poll Options
View poll results: well?
Yes
83 66%
No
30 24%
We need to gather more unicorn testicles!
12 10%
Voters: 125.
Page 1 of 2
Over the years I have grown to give almost zero shits about the lyrics in a song and care more about what the accompanyment is, I will get annoyed if the lyrics have excessive repitition (see stupid Ho by Nicky manaj) but other then that I really give zero ****s about lyrical content. So pit do you care about a songs lyrics?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
depends on the band, but mostly yes

Some bands I care about how the lyrics are delivered. BTBAM for instance I don't care at all what he's saying but I would never want to listen to them with his vocals because they add so much atmosphere to the songs.

Converge is similar to that but I do actually like his lyrics a lot in addition to how they're presented in the song.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jun 19, 2013,
Sort of depends, but nearly twice as much as 50% of the time the answer for me is yes.
Not really unless they're really bad. I mean, I make note of them and think they're cool sometimes but as long as they vibe well with the rest of the song aurally then it's all good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
No. I appreciate good lyrics, but they are second to the music. Bad lyrics will only ruin a song if the the lyrics are the focus of the song and they are that bad.
Eh, not really. Maybe a little. Sometimes I'll care about it if it sounds weird. Or maybe even if they lead me to believe they're good at songwriting.

But overall, if I can appreciate everything else about the song, then I don't really need to like the lyrics.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I almost hate the concept of lyrics altogether. Takes away from the purity of music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm sorry but you guys are seriously underestimating the value of unicorn testicles. Those things are worth more then 10lbs of gold. You get a couple of unicorn balls and you are set for a looong time.

OT: I could care less about the lyrics but the use of a voice as another instrument in the whole ensemble is necessary.
Nah.

At least, not on the average. Depends on the band.

More times than not, as long as the music is good, the vocals don't suck, and I can follow along, and have a good time with it, I'm fine. It's why I love metal, and -core, and other screaming vocal bands/genres, because I don't need to know what's said to REALLY enjoy it.

If I were listening to an indie rock band, folk song, or a pop song, etc. sure I'll follow the words, because they're usually there in a more meaningful way, but hearing what they say is not a complete necessity for me to enjoy the songs.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jun 20, 2013,
Only if I'm supposed to care about the lyrics. If the lyrics suck but they're obviously supposed to suck then I can enjoy the rest of the music.
cat
For the most part, I have to be sold on the music. If the lyrics are "meh," I more than likely won't mind, but if the music is "meh," it just ain't happening.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yes, but they certainly aren't the most important thing.

It also really depends on the genre. There's a documentary on youtube about Grindcore where pretty much all the bands say, "Yeah, you can't hear the lyrics. That's what the album liner notes are for." Whereas as folk singer would be appalled by that attitude.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
If the lyrics are audible, yes. Don't really get how you could answer no under that condition, but, hey.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by Jako215
I'm sorry but you guys are seriously underestimating the value of unicorn testicles. Those things are worth more then 10lbs of gold. You get a couple of unicorn balls and you are set for a looong time.

But I thought pony testicles were worth more than unicorn testicles.
OT: I could care less
Watch out for the grammar nazis. They might get at you over that... careless... mistake.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 20, 2013,
depends if im listening to some hiphop or rar th elyrics cant suck

but for everything else the lyrics come second to the music
if the lyrics are good hooray but but if the lyrics are bad it can only ruin the song if they are just terrible
also the melody that is sung is more important than the lyrics
Depends.

If I can't understand you anyway? Go ahead and sing about Unicorn Testicles.

If I can understand you, then please, at least write something halfway decent. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but I probably won't like the song if you have the worst set of lyrics ever written, even if all the other instruments sound virtuoso as ****.

Also, bad lyrics with good delivery work too...mostly...
If they're really bad they ruin songs. If they're really good they can't save songs. That's how I see them.
I do appreciate good lyrics but it's like icing on the cake to me whereas the music itself is the cake, if the lyrics are good but the music is shit then it's still shit. conversely, if the music is good and the lyrics are shit then I simply ignore the lyrics
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
Quote by Rockford_rocks
If they're really bad they ruin songs. If they're really good they can't save songs. That's how I see them.

...and this
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
It depends on what type of music I'm listening to. Lyrics are an after thought for most Metal I listen to, so I don't pay much mind to them there, but for stuff like TGA I get more invested in the lyrics, sometimes moreso than the music.
Yes, to an extent. Wonderful lyrics can turn a very minimalist accompaniment into an incredibly beautiful song (see below). And music is an art form and a form of expression, and lyrics certainly lend themselves well to that. But there don't need to be lyrics, and if there are they don't necessarily have to be clever or anything. Sometimes it's more important how it's sung, but terrible lyrics will always ruin a good song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHO6a2H-pqY
It depends on the song/lyrics in question.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
It depends, I don't pay that much attention to the lyrics, or the meaning behind them anyway.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Well sure. Lyrics can be cool. Its like poetry to music. Some songs that stand on their instrumentals are alright without them, other songs are more lyric based than anything, in which case they best be profound words. Bands that rock awesome can usually pull off both. Its when the lyrics make the song worse that they should be omitted/ignored. But as previously insinuated, a good melody can usually make the words sound right.

Ne me quitte pas mon chere.
I had no idea this many people felt that way about lyrics

like, what the hell man

lyrics are so important

not so much when i'm listening to bands like converge, but most of the time they're pretty important
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I do care, but with a lot of the metal bands I listen to you'd think you'd get used to the vocals and be able to make them out a little clearer. Nope, can't understand shit a lot of the time. I listen to the music mostly though, good lyrics on top of a good melody are sort of like icing on the cake.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
For the most part, yes. If the lyrics are something I don't relate to or agree with then it kinda kills it for me. But if the other parts are still good then I can usually get past it.
Depends on the song or band, like most people said. If it's a band like Meshuggah, then not really.

With bands like Katatonia or Tool, the lyrics really give context and that extra layer of depth to a song that really makes you want to sing along and feel the lyrics.
Usually as long as the lyrics aren't terrible than they don't really affect me but there are a few bands that have lyrics that just mean an incredible amount to me, and a few that just make me weep.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by WCPhils
depends on the band, but mostly yes

Some bands I care about how the lyrics are delivered. BTBAM for instance I don't care at all what he's saying but I would never want to listen to them with his vocals because they add so much atmosphere to the songs.

Converge is similar to that but I do actually like his lyrics a lot in addition to how they're presented in the song.

I love Tommy's lyrics

Quote by Rockford_rocks

best description
As an avid Mountain Goats fan, lyrics are really important to me, but if I'm listening to metal, I don't really care. Lyrics are fun to pick apart and delve into, and finding out what things might mean makes the song that much better for me.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Lyrics augment song for me. Terrible lyrics won't necessarily ruin a song, provided the instrumentals are still good enough, but good lyrics can certainly raise the appeal of a song. What really grabs me about a song is the music itself rather than the lyrics, they're not something I pay a huge amount of attention to unless they stand out for being particularly bad/good. Bad vocals, however, can ruin a song. They can ruin a song very, very easily.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Page 1 of 2