Hey guitar guys, got a question for what's the efficient/way with most upward mobility with picking hand speed (tremolo picking, cross string quick picking). Right now I've been comparing using my wrist a lot more when picking to the alternative of moving my whole arm when picking. Hope that makes sense. Any suggestions or preference?
My movement is all in the wrist, I have my pinky under the pickup to use as a base, and I use alternate picking.. Weirdly tremolo picking is in arm movement.. I always found it more comfortable once I started putting my pinky beneath the pickup though, allows me to gauge distance better and have more control of which strings i'm trying to hit
Pick from the wrist, play as slowly as you need to in order to 100% control what you do; make sure you're using the smallest movements you can and relax as much as possible.

That's not to say that the arm doesn't have a role to play; while the actual motion of picking should come from your wrist, your arm needs to make sure that your hand is always at a good angle to the strings so that you can keep your wrist unbent.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You can pick by moving your fingers as well, which is probably faster again. Michael Angelo Batio seems to use this, it's fairly clear to see i his Speed Kills intro.

Also you could consider pick angle. Batio is pretty much 90 degrees to the string where as Paul Gilbert has his pick at a totally different angle. Using your elbow to pick could cause RSI, so I'd try to avoid that. For cross string picking you might want to try out hybrid picking.

Hope that helps!
Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. I do use the pinky for stabilization sometimes or just rest my wrist on strings not being played. I'll keep that pick angle in mind and see what works for me.
Quote by JbfMusic
You can pick by moving your fingers as well, which is probably faster again. Michael Angelo Batio seems to use this, it's fairly clear to see i his Speed Kills intro.

MAB doesn't, I can see why you would think that though; he looks like he is because he's got his other three fingers stationary on the guitar but his picking is coming more from his wrist than anything else.

To be honest though, I wouldn't recommend anyone to pick like MAB, it's so incredibly specific to him; never seen anyone else do it that way.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You're right enough! It always looked like he did his own form of circular picking to me; with his thumb and index finger; but it seems he locks his thumb.
Quote by JbfMusic
You're right enough! It always looked like he did his own form of circular picking to me; with his thumb and index finger; but it seems he locks his thumb.

He definitely does, in fact I've seen both him and Rusty Cooler (who got it from him) say that keeping your thumb still is the most important part of good picking. I don't believe it's anywhere near that important but that's what they say so make up your own mind.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.