"Kind of new" because I just finished the upgrades I had planned for my PRS SE Santana. Sorry to the Mods if this doesn't qualify, let me know where to place this kind of post next time...

1. - Pickups - Replaced the 245's with Santana III's (Treble and Bass)
2. - Tuners - Locking Tuners by Jin-Ho, 19:1 ratio... not as smooth as the stock PRS, but they lock and stay in tune, so I am happy for the price.
3. - Strap Locks
4. - Varitone Control - started out as a simple cap selector switch and evolved into a 6 position Varitone switch. The speed knobs are still Master Volume and Master Tone, so at each position on the switch I can still roll off the tone very smoothly. positions are .022uf; .033uf; .047uf; .068uf; .1uf; .2uf
5. - Tone pot - removed the A500K and put in an A250K. I tested A250k, A500k, B250k and B500k pots from alpha and CTS, and the CTS A250K has the most controlled tone roll off of any of them.
6. - Variable Treble Bleed - this also began as a selector switch, then I found the V-Treb, but couldn't figure out how to get it set to access the pot control, so I built my own with a mini A500k and a .01uf cap. on the last three Varitone settings, this control gives a lot a mids and highs back into low volume settings and creates some really good tones for blues.

PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
Last edited by RedJamaX at Jun 20, 2013,
That is a nice score...errr...mods!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Seems like a nice overhaul. I would love to hear the varitone in action.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wow, that really seems nice, you definitely should do a varitone demo.
Could you share the wiring diagrams you used with me?
Also I'd never seen a green santana se, good looking guitar, congrats.
Looks nice! I always wanted to mod my main guitar but never had the balls to damage the paintwork.
Probably sounds nice, but IMO you made the guitar a little bit uglier
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Beautiful stuff man! Loving that look for it.

You have certainly made me want to do this to one my my guitars.
Thanks guys!

I will be updating my wiring diagram and I'll be glad to post it here in the next few days. I'll also see what I can do about a demo for the custom Varitone and get it up on YouTube. I should probably warn you ahead of time that I'm just a hobbyist and not that great of a player so it probably won;t be showcased as well as it should be...

either way, more to come in the near future.
Peavey Vypyr 100
As promised... here is the wiring diagram... also, I mistyped the original description (corrected now), but the cap values are lower than my original post... added an extra "0".

Peavey Vypyr 100
Last edited by RedJamaX at Jun 20, 2013,
nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?