Today I took delivery of an absolutely spanking Ibanez RGA121H for what I think was a very good price.

I have scanned the whole guitar and I cant find a single mark on it. No pick scratches or buckle rash - Nothing! it looks brand new! Just a very slight discolouring of the bridge and volume knob which to be honest is common in most guitars.

My dilemma is the colour... I obviously knew the colour before buying it, but I had in my mind that I would refinish it in gloss black and change the pickups. I purely bought it for the incredible neck and the fixed bridge.

The problem is, since receiving the guitar and seeing just how good the condition is I am in 2 minds as to whether I strip the finish off and redo it! What do you think? The colour has grown on me but there is no doubt that if the guitar was a bit tatty I would be painting it, but seeing as it isn't I really don't know what to do!

Here are a couple of pictures....

I think it would look better with the body colour as it is if the headstock was unpainted.

EDIT: or even better if you could do it in the same colour as the body.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 20, 2013,
Quote by Emperor's Child
I think it would look better with the body colour as it is if the headstock was unpainted.

EDIT: or even better if you could do it in the same colour as the body.

Sorry - do you mean paint the headstock the same colour as the body?

I don't think I would want to touch the headstock as the Ibanez and prestige lettering is in mother of pearl and trying to mask that off etc would be more trouble that its worth!
If it were a simple solid color, I would do it. That purple sparkle thing is pretty slick, though. Leave it alone.
See if the color will grow on you. It is quite slick. If I were you, I'd change out those pickups though...
Yeh the colour is growing on me tbh.. I will leave it a few weeks and see.

And I have already ordered pickup replacements!! pick them up tomorrow!

Ive gone for EMG 81/85 as it suits my sound etc (awaits the haters comments.....lol)
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
That colour is awesome and very rare.

It would be a great shame to just turn it into another black Ibanez.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ +1. if you half like the colour at all (and as you said, it's growing on you), I'd keep it as it is. You could devalue it doing a refinish, and obviously a refinish costs a fair bit of money.

killer score. a 121 is one of the few guitars i kick myself for not buying when i had the chance
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1. if you half like the colour at all (and as you said, it's growing on you), I'd keep it as it is. You could devalue it doing a refinish, and obviously a refinish costs a fair bit of money.

killer score. a 121 is one of the few guitars i kick myself for not buying when i had the chance

Yeh I think I'll leave it as is for now. I've just restrung it, played it and now propped it on the sofa and it does look damn good (fretboard was pretty dry, now it's oiled it looks darker and looks better).

I'm extremely happy with it, the neck is amazing! One sh*t thing I've just found out though is the fact you can't put heavy strings on it. The bridge design means you are limited on the gauge of the bottom string due to the slot it sits in. I went to put 12-60's on and had no chance!!! I barely got a 54 on! Something I could modify though I guess.

With these not being for sale that often what sort of price do they go for? Curious as to where the price I paid sits in the market..
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Last edited by gbh14 at Jun 20, 2013,
Hmmm or even go down the JB (August burns red) route...

Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Quote by gbh14
Yeh I think I'll leave it as is for now. I've just restrung it, played it and now propped it on the sofa and it does look damn good (fretboard was pretty dry, now it's oiled it looks darker and looks better).

I'm extremely happy with it, the neck is amazing! One sh*t thing I've just found out though is the fact you can't put heavy strings on it. The bridge design means you are limited on the gauge of the bottom string due to the slot it sits in. I went to put 12-60's on and had no chance!!! I barely got a 54 on! Something I could modify though I guess.

With these not being for sale that often what sort of price do they go for? Curious as to where the price I paid sits in the market..

yeah i think i've heard that about the strings. kinda weird when a lot of players may well tune down with that style of guitar

not sure actually. i suspect not far off what they went for new, maybe even a little more, but maybe that's just in the UK and Ireland
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What did you pay?

If you really want to refinish it, flog it and get a more common colour to refinish.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Nice hard to find a hard tail prestige as far as i know (not that much of a ibanez fan boy)

I'd keep the colour, but maybe change the pickups :P as I'm not a fan of the stock ones really
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Does the painted 121 also have the maple top?
Cause there is nothing better than the NTF Finish

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think i've heard that about the strings. kinda weird when a lot of players may well tune down with that style of guitar

not sure actually. i suspect not far off what they went for new, maybe even a little more, but maybe that's just in the UK and Ireland

What did they go for new? I have tried looking but cant find anything!

I am going to take the bridge off and file the bottom slot a little bit to allow heavier strings. Seems a common thing people to with these from what I've read.

Quote by Shredx
Nice hard to find a hard tail prestige as far as i know (not that much of a ibanez fan boy)

I'd keep the colour, but maybe change the pickups :P as I'm not a fan of the stock ones really

Yep - I have an Ibanez FR2620 which is a hard tail but really wanted another but as you said, its pretty hard to find them!! I dont know why they dont make more fixed bridges.

Pickups are being collected today I ordered them about an hour after getting the guitar haha
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Quote by gbh14
Sorry - do you mean paint the headstock the same colour as the body?

I don't think I would want to touch the headstock as the Ibanez and prestige lettering is in mother of pearl and trying to mask that off etc would be more trouble that its worth!
Yeah, that's fair enough really, but I really like that body colour, haha, so unless you can re-logo it leave it as is imo.

EDIT: Unless you can find an unpainted neck on ebay...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 21, 2013,
The NTF version has a maple cap, I don't think the H models do. So who knows how they look underneath..

And yeah, I was in for a surprise when I was stringing mine with a .56 Could get it through the bridge enough to be able to use the tuning pegs to pull it through completely.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The NTF version has a maple cap, I don't think the H models do. So who knows how they look underneath..

And yeah, I was in for a surprise when I was stringing mine with a .56 Could get it through the bridge enough to be able to use the tuning pegs to pull it through completely.

Exactly right. The H is identical apart from its all mahogany rather than mahogany with a maple cap.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
I'd just keep it as is to be honest. It'll definitely grow on you. I picked up an RG1570 in mirage red which, at first, I wasn't to big on because of the sparkle and the weird red/green contrast (not to mention it has blue aftermarket dimarzios in it), but I bought it for the playability, the neck, and tbh, the fact that it was pretty much clean for a great price. Long story short, it grew on me a lot and I love it to death. It's just quirky to me and it's got character.

I'd leave it alone. Plus, Ibby finishes have a tradition of being thick as hell, though that might be different for prestiges.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by resum
Does the painted 121 also have the maple top?
Cause there is nothing better than the NTF Finish

i don't think so, i think just the natural and violin ones had the maple top.

and yeah the natural one is the one i'm kicking myself about. though that metallic colour looks pretty sweet too

Quote by gbh14
What did they go for new? I have tried looking but cant find anything!

I am going to take the bridge off and file the bottom slot a little bit to allow heavier strings. Seems a common thing people to with these from what I've read.

when the first ones (the natural and violin finish with maple tops) came out i think they were around £550 or so new. IIRC. Granted at that point in time all the ibanez prices were way better because the financial crash hadn't happened yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez prestige's for £550?? Are you sure?
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
near enough. I mean i'm going on memory here, but not that long ago you could get a brand new rg1570 for £400, so that tallies with that ok. That's before the shit hit the fan with the financial crash, though.

EDIT: yup, i'm sure. i just remembered i made a thread ages back about this (ignore my idiocy in the thread, please ) and listed prices in it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308517

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 21, 2013,
They were a lot cheaper new than I thought then, real bargain i would say. i bet if they still made them they would be double that now.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Last edited by gbh14 at Jun 24, 2013,
You son of a bitch! I saw this EXACT guitar on kijiji for $300 and before i could buy it someone else did. Was that you?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
You son of a bitch! I saw this EXACT guitar on kijiji for $300 and before i could buy it someone else did. Was that you?

Haha no wasn't me, this was for sale in the UK near Essex.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Quote by gbh14
They were a lot cheaper new than I thought then, real bargain i would say. i bet if they still made them they would be double that now.

I paid £300 delivered so I'm pretty happy with that.

yeah i reckon they'd be at least £800 now if they were new.

and yeah £300 sounds pretty good, even compared to the old new price. Any time you get close to 50% of the going rate new (assuming it's still in decent condition), you're doing pretty well, as a buyer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
**** man the more i think about it the more i should have jumped all over this thing. It was at a local pawn shop, $300 for a Prestige was a sweet deal. Im a dummy

also, re the gibralter bridge not fitting 12s: it shouldn't be too difficult to file the slot open a bit more, or on the underside bore it out a little bit. Those bridges aren't the hardest metal around so it shouldn't be a huge pain to do it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Jun 23, 2013,
Had a bit of a mare.. bought some EMG 81/85 pickups for the RGA and guess what... they dont fit

Being honest, I didn't look into it as one of my favorite guitarists plays a green RGA121 with EMG 81/85 pickups (pictured on first page) so I just assumed they would fit as standard. I have now got to enlarge the pickup cavity somehow.

What would be the best way to do it? I only need to open up the four corners of each cavity by a couple of mm. Would a dremel be ok?
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
ah yeah i think i've read before that the pickup routes are quite small. maybe take a look on jemsite? i'm sure i've read threads there about the 121 and pickup swaps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have managed to get them in tonight. Decided against making the cavity bigger with a dremel and attacked the pickups instead.

There are a lot of threads on various forums saying it can't be one etc, or shouldn't be tried but I have managed it and I've never done this sort of thing before. A few things need to be done but its very do-able. I may write a guide at some point.

Anyway.. Not to everyone's taste (I bought the white EMGs when I had it in my mind I was going to be refinishing the guitar black) but I quite like it! I still need a new 3-way pickup switch before I can try it out. I hope it sounds good!

Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?