I've been browsing cheaper guitars that I can give a little bit of TLC to and do some modest swapping with the hardware. Since I've been wanting a semi-hollow body, the ones I've been mostly looking at have been the Epiphone Dot and the Epiphone Sheraton II. I like how the cheap the Dot can be had, but I can also find a Sheraton II for a lot better of a deal than the Dots are. I would like the guitar to be as good as possible before I begin swapping, so I was wondering does it matter so much between the two? I AM going to swap pickups for sure.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I would go for the Dot. Out of the box it will play better. After a set up and having the frets and stuff checked they may be a bit closer, but in my experience, Dots usually play pretty darn good
Since you are going to replace all of the hardware anyway, maybe think about bringing an Ebay project archtop or hollowbody back from the dead. Why tear up a working good guitar?
I've rescued vintage archtops a couple of times from there and as long as you get a decent neck, everything else is up to you. Good luck.
Quote by Guitbuilder
Since you are going to replace all of the hardware anyway, maybe think about bringing an Ebay project archtop or hollowbody back from the dead. Why tear up a working good guitar?
I've rescued vintage archtops a couple of times from there and as long as you get a decent neck, everything else is up to you. Good luck.

Not a bad idea at all.

You can always check out Xaviere guitars from Guitar Fetish. They're super cheap
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, it's sort of a funny notion. I want something that works already, that I can just swap things out on along and along. I want it to work out of the box, and I liked both the Dot and the Sheraton II when I played them. I felt like the Dot I played had a better neck for my small hands, but they both sounded cool. I don't really want something that I won't want to use until the mods are done.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
So you are looking in the new market then? If that's the case, I'd snag a Dot, but only because of the price. In the used market, I'd definitely be looking at a Sheraton II, especially if you can snag one of the older Korean models. I just picked up a '95 Sheraton II for $260, but it needed a fair deal of work since the original owner took shitty care ochf it. I've done some mods to it, but be warned: doing electronic swaps in a semi-hollow, if you've never messed with it before, is a huge pain in the ass.

The mods I've done so far: GFS Dream 180's in neck and bridge, Alpha Mini-Pots (500K), Switchcraft switch and jack, Grover Rotomatic Tuners - So I'm about $140 in with mods, making it all around about the cost of a new Dot. That said, this Sheraton blows away the Dot I previously owned, and those that I've played before.

The only issue I'm having with the Sherry is the damned bridge. You may find, if you go for a Korean like mine, that there is basically no easy way to replace the bridge on these Sheratons - there are no drop in replacements. I'll probably have to swap the saddles, but even at that I'm not sure where I'm going to go with it. So yeah, that's something to be aware of if you're looking at an older Sheraton.
OffsetOffset