Hey everyone, I beseech your greater wisdom.

I'm enrolled in Jazz Guitar for next semester and will have to do it again in the spring. I'm not sure if they provide an amp during the lesson but I need a practice amp anyway.

Budget? - $300-500

Genres? - Jazz only. I don't care if this thing has only one channel. It only has one purpose.

New or Used? - I'd like new but a great deal is a great deal. I'll take both but the market isn't always reliable around here.

Home or Gig? - Home/lessons. I have no intentions of using this for gigs but flexibility would be nice.

Closest City? - Tulsa is about 40 minutes away. That's what Craigslist I use.

Current Gear? - Blackstar HT-20 Studio. Covers other stuff I play. Cleans are alright but I don't want to lug it to lessons. I'll be playing a Fender 72 Tele reissue

I'd like it to be more portable than my Blackstar. Tube or SS is cool. I'm new to this Jazz thing. I want something that has great cleans for Jazz and no bells or whistles. EQ, reverb, maybe an effects loop. Simple.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Get a Roland cube and use just the clean channel. SS tends to be a favorite for jazz stuff, but tube is used as well. With such a high budget maybe look around for a JC77 or 90. I got my JC120 for $500
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Yeah, I'd have to say the Roland Cubes are probably your best bet, especially for tone and portability. Most tube amps will be heavier. I'm not real up on the Cubes so I don't know which one to recommend but I think the 20 wattr one is the ish'ist so maybe the 15 or the 30w?

Nice OP
Cube are modelers, aren't they?

I may end putting more toward it by selling stuff if there's a significantly better option above my current budget.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Would a used Roland Jazz Chorus be too big for you?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Would a used Roland Jazz Chorus be too big for you?

I don't think they're any smaller than my HT-20. Lighter I would assume.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I mean your HT-20 is not THAT big is it?

I'd be hard pressed to think of much that is lighter than that outside of something like a Cube or a Peavey Vypyr.

I do see a few things on your Craigslist that I personally would consider but again, they may not save you much vs what you have.

Like this (Fender Chorus)
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3873237634.html

This might be lighter and give you some useable tones (Vox AD50VT)
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3867959509.html

That said, there is also an Ampeg Reverorocket, VT140C, Line 6 DT50, Fender Cyber Deluxe, Blues Jr, Spider Valve, Bugera V22, Vox AC30, etc.

But again, for portability - Jazz - lessons only, I really think the Cube is the way to go.
In all honesty, there are a lot of Jazz amps to choose from It comes down to personal taste a bit imo.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I might have to get a big amp. I was really wanting to avoid another big one because I'm seriously strapped for space. I was going to get an HT-1 to practice with but thought I thought get something different.

Weight is a big deal too. I live on the fifth floor of my dorm and these amps weigh half my weight in a lot of cases. I was really not wanting to go for a modeler but it's looking like the other options aren't suited to my setting.

It's starting to look like the HT-20 is the smaller option.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you really don't want a modeler then look around for some used JC amps, 77 90, I think there is even a 60. Something like a Fender Blues Jr would work well but it doesn't tend to be as warm as what jazz tends to demand. Jazz tone really only comes out of like...6 different amps total, if that collection of jazz amps doesn't fit your needs then you're much better off making use of what makes the most sense. In this case....Roland cubes all day. I used a 15 for ensemble rehearsals and practicing and it was just a little short so maybe something higher. It's all about the EQing anyways.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

I was hoping for something else for some reason but I hear a lot of good stuff about cubes and it's so useful to have something like that around.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I get that it might be a little bit of a 'turn off' that a modeler amp meant mostly for practicing is your best bet. But seriously they're great amps. Your other options would be Henricksons, JazzKats, Vibroluxes, Polytones, Twin Reverbs, JC120, Yamaha G50/100, maybe a Princeton....all that are either over your budget or too big for what you want. I would see some guys at school use a Fender Super Champ but never cared for them for jazz. You could look into a Peavey Classic 30, my teacher uses one from time to time and makes it sound pretty good, but The Benedetto might have something to do with it too.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by gerraguitar
I get that it might be a little bit of a 'turn off' that a modeler amp meant mostly for practicing is your best bet. But seriously they're great amps. Your other options would be Henricksons, JazzKats, Vibroluxes, Polytones, Twin Reverbs, JC120, Yamaha G50/100, maybe a Princeton....all that are either over your budget or too big for what you want. I would see some guys at school use a Fender Super Champ but never cared for them for jazz. You could look into a Peavey Classic 30, my teacher uses one from time to time and makes it sound pretty good, but The Benedetto might have something to do with it too.

If I had the money....

Well, I do but that much isn't allocated for an amp.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
ZT lunch box, perfect for jazz. Also really easy to carry around. Not stupid expensive. And perfectly gigable
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
The best jazz amp in my opinion is the Fender Twin but that's out of your pricerange.
The Cubes do a pretty good job of emulating a JC120 (well, a JC60 anyway) and there's nothing shabby about Jazz Choruses for jazz. Buy the biggest cube you can afford would be my recommendation.

PS: the bigger ones have bigger speakers. That's why you want the bigger ones, not the power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was looking at the 80w Cube. Maybe the 40w.

The ZT is looking pretty good as well.

Man, I really wish I didn't have to cart this thing into town for lessons. My school has a place off campus for Jazz gigs. It's near by but I still have to get it into my car every time.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

Man, I really wish I didn't have to cart this thing into town for lessons. My school has a place off campus for Jazz gigs. It's near by but I still have to get it into my car every time.

I don't know, I don't mind lugging it around right now. The one thing I hear from guys is to enjoy the big amps when you're young and you can lug it. Yeah getting it into the car and up or down the flight of stairs and situated in its spot, and then reverse when you leave can be a pain, but it's the sound that I care about. I wanted to get a JC120 after seeing Pat Martino using one and I don't regret it one bit.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by gerraguitar
I don't know, I don't mind lugging it around right now. The one thing I hear from guys is to enjoy the big amps when you're young and you can lug it. Yeah getting it into the car and up or down the flight of stairs and situated in its spot, and then reverse when you leave can be a pain, but it's the sound that I care about. I wanted to get a JC120 after seeing Pat Martino using one and I don't regret it one bit.

My room at home has almost no floor space because of all my gear and other shit. I could always get rid of my bass amp. I don't need it since I'll be using DI anyway. That would make space for another amp. My dorm elevator has been known to break though.

Let's say I don't need super portable. Still get getting a huge one because of weight. I'm a small guy. I physically can't carry a 70lb amp to my car. what would my options widen to?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Sounds to me like what you really want is a JC60. They're on half of a JC120. You know how JC120's are a stereo amp? Well the 60 is one side. They came with a single speaker instead of two. They're half a JC120.
Watch ebay and Craigslist. one will pop up. That's the amp for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sounds to me like what you really want is a JC60. They're on half of a JC120. You know how JC120's are a stereo amp? Well the 60 is one side. They came with a single speaker instead of two. They're half a JC120.
Watch ebay and Craigslist. one will pop up. That's the amp for you.

I'll definitely look out for one. This area has some Jazz players so there's chance I'll stumble upon one.

What about an Ibanez WT80? It has Jazz in the name, it must be the right choice. Just like a Boss Metalzone.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 21, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger
(A)I'll definitely look out for one. This area has some Jazz players so there's chance I'll stumble upon one.

(B)What about an Ibanez WT80? It has Jazz in the name, (C)it must be the right choice. Just like a Boss Metalzone.

(A)If there are jazz players you can go see, then do it. See what they're using, pick their brains a bit and get a sense of what to look for in good jazz tone. They know A LOT about amps and getting tone, especially if they're an older generation. My teacher and I would fill up the entire lesson talking about amps and how to get a basic sound out of any amp you plug into.

(B) never heard one or played one so I can't help you there.

(C).....no, just.....no
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by gerraguitar
(A)If there are jazz players you can go see, then do it. See what they're using, pick their brains a bit and get a sense of what to look for in good jazz tone. They know A LOT about amps and getting tone, especially if they're an older generation. My teacher and I would fill up the entire lesson talking about amps and how to get a basic sound out of any amp you plug into.

(B) never heard one or played one so I can't help you there.

(C).....no, just.....no

But the Metalzone is an absolute must in any Metal rig.

I don't really have access to any Jazz guitarists, except on here. I work full time and the Jazz lab at my university doesn't do stuff in the summer as far as I know. That's why I'm coming here. I can always put the money back until I go to lessons then see what my instructor says, or email him. He's really my only recourse at this point.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm just gonna plug the ZT again, just from experience, there is no lugging. And if you ever need a little more from it you can grab the cab.

I sound like a salesmen, which makes me feel dumb.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by ihartfood
JazzKat

I could stretch my budget, not triple it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by darkwolf291
Peavey Stereo Chorus
A few on GC for ~$200

You might find em cheaper on CL

Sounds great but this thing is heavy as hell. It weighs almost as much as me. Keeping it in my room is definitely an option but I have to get it in the room first. Then out after school. Dorm life isn't really suited to really heavy amps. The clips I'm hearing sound very nice though, and it's cheap.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Sounds great but this thing is heavy as hell. It weighs almost as much as me. Keeping it in my room is definitely an option but I have to get it in the room first. Then out after school. Dorm life isn't really suited to really heavy amps. The clips I'm hearing sound very nice though, and it's cheap.

Mine weighs 40 pounds
Quote by darkwolf291
Mine weighs 40 pounds

When I looked it up, I was getting 80 or 90.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
A Gibson EH150 would probably impress your instructor if you dragged one of those in...

For a practical suggestion, maybe look into some sort of Fender Champ?
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
If you go the Roland Cube route, definitely get the 80W. Unfortunately, and one of the reasons I don't really like the Cubes, that is the smallest one with a 12" speaker. Speaker size makes a big difference, and pretty much all guitar music utilizes 12" speakers.

I think this is a /thread right here, personally: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ROLAND-JAZZ-CHORUS-50-108949352-i3139752.gc

Roland JC50.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you go the Roland Cube route, definitely get the 80W. Unfortunately, and one of the reasons I don't really like the Cubes, that is the smallest one with a 12" speaker. Speaker size makes a big difference, and pretty much all guitar music utilizes 12" speakers.

I think this is a /thread right here, personally: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ROLAND-JAZZ-CHORUS-50-108949352-i3139752.gc

Roland JC50.

If I can find one locally when I have money, I'll pick that Roland up. Looks like the best fit for my needs.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls