hey guess whats up i have been playen for a few months on my acoustic and am planing on geting a electric next year i am only 14 so im on a tight budget so the two im lookin at is yamaha pacifica 112v and the epiphone les paul standard
thanks for your opinions and sugestions in advance
Last edited by pyro maniac at Jun 20, 2013,
I don't know what's going on here, it's a mess. If you make it legible I'll have no problem giving you some help.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

What music are you into? Rock? Jazz? Metal?
Budget?
Location?
Willing to go used?
I take it you need an amp too?

I don't think UG lets the fresh meat post links.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
im sorry for not being a bit more specific witch one is best mostly rock and metal but other stuff too, yeah used is fine as long as it was not played too hard and im looking to buy online like musicians friend and yeah an amp does not have to be huge (thats why i have my friend) just something to practice on and to use at home sorry again
They are both solid guitars.

The Yamaha Pacifica has a humbucker in the bridge position so it's got a lot of bite and is quite versatile. It's a decent guitar for the price, and a good one in it's price range.

The Epiphone LP is a great guitar that really benefits from a few modifications, which can be said for the Yamaha too, namely a pickup change. I'd definitely say that objectively the Epiphone is the better guitar.

It depends on what you're looking to play and who your favourite artists are.

If you like blues players like SRV, Hendrix, and stuff like RHCP etc then maybe the pacifica is the best choice.

If you like led Zeppelin, Slash, etc then I'd go for the Epiphone.

But, the Epiphone is a much better guitar so you should really go for that if you can. If you really can't live with humbucker tones when you want single coil tones I'd save up for something better like a Mexican Strat, which is also in your price range.

In fact, you should be looking at either the Fender Mexican Strat or the Epiphone LP Standard. If you can afford a LP Standard you can afford the Fender.

So, what is your actual budget and what are you favourite guitarists, what kind of sound do you want?

And you do need an amp. You can get something decent for around $150, like a Fender Mustang 2.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 20, 2013,
thanks Mephaphil i like almost every artist but if i had too choose it would be pearl jam,nirvana,led zep, or the guitarist carlos santana (yes i know they are not my time haha)
So it could be either. Give me your budget and I'll find you something awesome.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

A used Mexican strat would fit nicely in there and still have some money for a used amp if you're lucky.

Peavey Vyper or a Roland cube would probably be good. They're cheap and versatile.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 20, 2013,
Ok, Great. Get a used Fender Mexican Stratocaster or a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard. They should be around $300-$350 and then you can an get a used Fender Mustang 2 amp and you're good to go.

Chose the guitar based on preference, either is fine and then look for deals on ebay or Craigslist or whatever else you have in the States.

Forget about the Yamaha, the Mexican Fender is so much better.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Ok, Great. Get a used Fender Mexican Stratocaster or a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard. They should be around $300-$350 and then you can an get a used Fender Mustang 2 amp and you're good to go.

Chose the guitar based on preference, either is fine and then look for deals on ebay or Craigslist or whatever else you have in the States.

Forget about the Yamaha, the Mexican Fender is so much better.

This setup will put you leaps and bounds ahead of most beginners. It's really everything you need. A MIM strat could play all the bands you listed perfectly fine and they're nice instruments.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
and thanks guys this is really helpfull also where can i get a used MIM strat
Last edited by pyro maniac at Jun 20, 2013,
Yea MiM is made in Mexico. They are the mid range line from Fender.

They sell them in every single guitar shop more or less. Or look on eBay or Craigslist. They are all over the place, just make sure that you go and play it if you can, and play a few as some will play better to you than others will.

You are in the USA right? Where abouts?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Don't send money, no couriers.

Get a humbucker in the bridge, just because you should.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Don't send money, no couriers.

Get a humbucker in the bridge, just because you should.

Why? All the bands he listed will sound perfectly fine with single coils.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^He's 14, it may change.

Just my :twocents:

No?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
^He's 14, it may change.

No?

Who buys something in case their taste changes in the future? You buy something for yourself based on what you want now. You wouldn't buy an estate as your first car in case you have a family in 5 years UNLESS you are planning to have a family.

They are routed for a humbucker in the bridge anyway.

What about this TS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-Mexican-Strat-MIM-/230994094568?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c85229e8

Or this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Mexican-Made-/200935571292?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ec8b17f5c

That was a quick search and they do have some dings, but it's character. You could find better examples cheaper if you shop around, and closer to you.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

those are awsome thanks i forgot all about ebay and i plan on playing it for a while i have been wanting a guitar for years and finaly i got one in january after saving up all summer(yamaha fg700s my uncle says it sounds better than a 400 dollar guitar haha) but ever since i got it its been my "video game" you know i cant put it down i find it fun learning new chords and now that a know enough chords i can play a few songs i just love it
I don't know much about acoustics, I'm more of an electric kind of guy.

Keep looking though, there are many great guitars out there. You should go to your local store and have a go on the guitars we've talked about. Try out a few of the same kind too.

Get a teacher and learn some theory and the right technique. It can be really boring for lots of people but once you've learned it you'll never forget it and it'll only help you become a better player as all theory is applicable to actual playing!

It's important to keep going and if you love it it's best to learn the right way and not end up getting into bad habits that are hard to break later on, trust me I know!

Get a teacher. Good luck!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
^He's 14, it may change.

No?

The thing is, the MIM strat is still a solid guitar. You can always use it for something. I got a Bronze Warlock because I was all into Metal. Those just aren't good guitars. The strat is very modable with tons of stuff. Might as well get what he needs now and have the room to change.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
thanks guys for your help i m pretty sure im shooten for the fender but if any one says different id like too hear
PRS SE245, FANTASTIC GUITAR and low cost and good tone, sounds like higher costing axe
I would recommend you try playing an LP shaped guitar before jumping into one. I always thought they were cool, was thinking about buying one, and then I finally play one and... I just absolutely hate the switch position. It's right where I put my hand and stuff sometimes. I pick the strat shape over the LP shape every time.
Yea do that, it's a good plan.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by BladeSlinger
A used Mexican strat would fit nicely in there and still have some money for a used amp if you're lucky.

Peavey Vyper or a Roland cube would probably be good. They're cheap and versatile.

^^ really very this. Roland cube is such a versatile amp and for the price its worth the money. They are also very portable so going round to your mates house for a jam will be less of a hassle.
Pacifica - best starter guitar by miles.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Pacifica - best starter guitar by miles.

Mexican Strat by miles.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Please bear in mind that the price of a used MIM Strat can compare with the price of used higher end Pacificas.
Get the pacifica, there is not much difference between it and the MIM strat, same quality same wood, comparable pickups, but half the price. The cheaper epis are generally not very well built. Save the money and buy the amp you want.
They sound different, but it's an imitator. Just have a play and see what you like the most.

The Mexican Strats are great. The higher level Pacificas are better than the mid level Fenders, but not the one you're looking at.

Epiphone LP Standards are pretty great guitars.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 24, 2013,
how much different is a electric to a acoustic i mean is it like learning guitar all over again
Quote by Mephaphil
They sound different, but it's an imitator. Just have a play and see what you like the most.

The Mexican Strats are great. The higher level Pacificas are better than the mid level Fenders, but not the one you're looking at.

Epiphone LP Standards are pretty great guitars.

More expensive does not always mean better. The MIM strat and the pacifica 112 are super close, your paying an extra $250 for the head stock name.
Quote by pyro maniac
how much different is a electric to a acoustic i mean is it like learning guitar all over again

Of course it's massively different but if you have a decent foundation in acoustic it will transfer to electric but you'll need to adjust.

Quote by ghobby
More expensive does not always mean better. The MIM strat and the pacifica 112 are super close, your paying an extra $250 for the head stock name.

Of course not. I just don't agree with you on this instance. That particular guitar has somewhat muddy pickups and does benefit from a swap out, they are well known to have some quality control issues. The MiM has decent Alnico pickups already in and has a pretty stable bridge.

I think they're a great starter guitar, I think the MiM is a decent intermediate guitar.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445