Hello, Ultimate-Guitar!

I happen to have a bit of extra cash right now, and I am in the market for a new guitar.
I'd like to keep my budget at a maximum of 2000 dollars, which is why I have got my eyes set on an ESP Eclipse-I. I can get it used from a guy for 1250 dollars.
Here's some information about the guitar:
A very beautiful and rare ESP model, with absolutely professional features and an outstanding price-quality relation. Offered here for a discounted price!
Finish: Vintage Black, with gold hardware.
Body: Mahogany.
Top: Maple, carved.
Neck: Mahogany. Set neck construction. This enables a very good sustain, an easy access to the upper frets, and of course a full, 'fat' tone.
Scale: 24.75' - like Gibson Les Paul, SG, Explorer etc., i.e. a 2 cm shorter scale than for instance a Stratocaster, resulting in better playability even with thicker string gauges.
Fretboard: Ebony, with ESP Custom Flag inlays.
Frets: 22, XJ (Jumbo) - with a perfect fretjob, another famous feature of ESP instruments.
Nut: 42 mm, FR Locking.
Headstock: ESP Eclipse Style, matching the body finish.
Bindings: 'Custom 7-ply' on body and headstock - a very noble looking instrument!
Tuners: Original Gotoh.
Bridge: Original Floyd Rose tremolo - stays perfectly in tune.
Pickups: EMG 81/60 active humbuckers - this classic Metallica combination is very versatile, provides lots of gain for aggressive sounds, fits well for downtuning and is absolutely quiet, due to its active design. Also available with EMG 81/81 or EMG 81/85 upon a small additional charge, please just inquire.
Alternatively, upon request of the purchaser, we can also perform a professional installation of a different pickup combination, e.g. any DiMarzio, EMG or Seymour Duncan etc. (Very fair prices per pickup swap). Furthermore, we offer installation of active boost and EQ circuits like EMG Afterburner, PA-2, SPC, RPC, VMC, EXG etc. Please ask for details if interested.
Electronics: 2x volume, 2x tone, 3-way toggle switch.
Absolutely outstanding quality of selected woods, craftsmanship, handling and sound! The overall quality is comparable to Custom Shop instruments made by the famous US guitar companies - which prices usually are in completely different price regions, though.

Also, the guy selling it mentioned something about it having FloydRosen, perhabs someone could clarify?

I like to play rock/hardrock/metal. I'm a huge Metallica fan, and that would likely be the sound I stribe for. I have been playing for about a year, first half on a very bad acoustic guitar, and the second half on an Epiphone SG. I'm fairly new to playing, but I have been practising about 1-2 hours a day for the last 7 months or so, and my interest doesn't seem to be fading.

My setup includes a Cry Baby GCB-95 wahwah pedal, a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, and a Spider IV amplifier.

To sum it up, I have two questions:
What are your views on used guitars? Is the half-priced worth not having any warranty?
Is the Eclipse the right guitar for me, and for that price, is there a better option?

Thanks in advanced, rock on!
Last edited by Foldageren at Jun 20, 2013,
Used guitars are great, no worries there as long as you make sure everything's working before you buy.

The Eclipse is good but you could probably do better on the price on a non special edition. If you want to save even more money, the LTD EC-1000 is really close to the Eclipse (especially with the EMGs) and can be had at a much lower price. The Eclipse seems to suffer from a bit of price inflation, especially in the US where they're hard to find.

Biggest problem is that your amp sucks and is going to sound super thin and harsh with EMGs. You're going to catch some flak for that.

Luckily, your budget would allow you to get a real amp, too! Stop by GG&A and we'll get you set there. I'm guessing a 6505 112 will be perfect, and within your budget.
In answer to your 2 questions..

Nothing wrong with used guitars. Some bargains to be had. Just check it out thoroughly (fret wear, cracks, etc)

The eclipse is a great guitar. I don't know about used prices over there but they sell new for about £1500-1600 over here and the used price you've stated equates to about £800 so it is probably about the right price I guess.

Yes there could be better options, it's all subjective to your tastes and preferences. £800 for a used guitar can cover a lot of good guitars so you should really try a few out.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Last edited by gbh14 at Jun 20, 2013,
Thanks for the quick and cohirent response Roc!
I have been looking at the LTD ones as well, but we're taking about maybe a 300 dollars saved, and for that price, I'd actually just rather have the brand as well! I know this sounds a bit shallow, but man, there's just something about it..
As far as the amplifier goes, I would love to stop by your shop and have a look around, but I live about 5000 miles away! I'm from Denmark
I have however, been looking at a used JCM900 with a 1960b cab - for around 900 dollars - I could get the Eclipse ESP and JCM and still come in at around the 2000! I know I'm asking about the guitar, but do you have any thoughts on that amp?
#Gbh
I haven't had a chance to actually try out an Eclipse yet, but I need to go to a music store soon anyway to get one of my epiphones fixed, so I think I will try it out there!
The Eclipse-1 isn't really sold anywhere in Denmark, but in Germany, you can get it brand new for about 2200 pounds, so you can imagine why I'm very tempted by this offer!
Quote by Foldageren
Thanks for the quick and cohirent response Roc!
I have been looking at the LTD ones as well, but we're taking about maybe a 300 dollars saved, and for that price, I'd actually just rather have the brand as well! I know this sounds a bit shallow, but man, there's just something about it..
As far as the amplifier goes, I would love to stop by your shop and have a look around, but I live about 5000 miles away! I'm from Denmark
I have however, been looking at a used JCM900 with a 1960b cab - for around 900 dollars - I could get the Eclipse ESP and JCM and still come in at around the 2000! I know I'm asking about the guitar, but do you have any thoughts on that amp?

Well, it would be more than 300 saved. Used, you can very often get an EC1000 for $5-600. So it's a big difference. But I definitely get that since you've got the budget, you might as well go for the nicer of the two. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially if you're going to be keeping it for a long time.

GG&A isn't a shop, it's the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum - that's where you can post an amp thread if you need a new one
I'm not too familiar with the JCM900, but if you post a thread there you'll get plenty of opinions.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, it would be more than 300 saved. Used, you can very often get an EC1000 for $5-600. So it's a big difference. But I definitely get that since you've got the budget, you might as well go for the nicer of the two. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially if you're going to be keeping it for a long time.

GG&A isn't a shop, it's the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum - that's where you can post an amp thread if you need a new one
I'm not too familiar with the JCM900, but if you post a thread there you'll get plenty of opinions.

Oh, haha, my bad
And yea, 300-400 more is not that big of an issue, and I would hate to think "Wonder what this would sound like, if I had the ESP model" every time I played :p
I do plan on keeping it, that's why I'm using about 7x the amount of cash, as I did on my last Epiphone
I'll be sure to check out that forum too, thanks!
Quote by Roc8995

Luckily, your budget would allow you to get a real amp, too! Stop by GG&A and we'll get you set there. I'm guessing a 6505 112 will be perfect, and within your budget.

is there even any need to go to G G&A? I mean the 6505 is recommended for everything over there, and in this instance it's actually suitable...

no, you're right. he'll probably get a bunch of recommendations for a roland jazz chorus or a silverface twin or something like that

and yeah if mean if you can afford the esp version, get it. I dunno about in the US, but here in europe it's normally not that different from the ltd 1000s in price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave! If I'm going to go with ESP/LTD, think I will get an ESP, ESPecially (haha) since I seem to be getting a rather good deal on one.
I live in Europe too btw, and the price difference is definently there, atleast here in Scandinavia!
I did take your advice, and I posed on the amp forum, thanks guys!

Any more takes on the Eclipse?
If you live in Europe go for an Eclipse I CTM and skip the LTD.

So much better looking and a much nicer guitar, they are just the sex.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've played both the Esp Eclipse,and My ltd ec-1000...the Esp had a bit more attention to detail,but the tone and feel was the same...I got my Ec for 550$ used,with your 2000$ budget,you could get one beast of an amp...Ec-1k run around 500, so 1500 to spend on a amp.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Last edited by tybacca60 at Jun 21, 2013,
Here are some pictures btw:
(Invalid img)
The whammy bar handle for the rose has been taken off, so that it fits in the case. That is the guitar he offered me for 1300, seems to be in good shape to me?
I went to a music store to try out the Eclipse (with a jcm800 that I might be buying too) - The sound was pretty good, I didn't have a lot of time to try everything out, but it seemed like a good combo, just needs a pedal to be able to do some metal! One think that concerns me is that, since I'm used to the SG design, where the body doesn't get in the way at all of the higher frets, I found myself having trouble playing for instance, the solo from One, or the Sandman solo on the eclipse, because the body was blocking my hand on the lower notes. Will I get used to this, or is this just an ultimate consequence of the les paul shape?
it's really one of those things that you might get used to, or you might not. that's no help, but it's the truth, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A friend is lending me his Les Paul, so I can try to see if I can get used to it. Would hate to use 1,4k on a guitar I don't like playing :/
yeah it's definitely worth considering
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For sure, but I don't think it would be a big problem, and if so, I could always buy a guitar meant for rythm, and use this one for lead :=)
But still I wonder, am I paying too much for it at 1,4k?